GPU Geforce 20 series (RTX) discussion thread (E: 2070 Review unbargo!)

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I'll save my positivity for the next cycle, LOL
(seriously though, this round's a tech introduction generation rather than a tick/tock step, so that much I'll appreciate. haven't started doing asset time in game engines for the realtime rendering, and this launch makes me want to put that over a few other things to explore before I commit/afford an RTX card)

Reactions: loader963

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
The performance jump is acceptable and fairly good (IMHO) but the price jump is not. In this trend, 3080Ti might go up to US$ 1499 easily. Even without competition from AMD, there's got to have a price ceiling when the law of diminishing returns is triggered. I just do not think Nvidia can keep increasing the price structure so steeply. Next gen cards will be likely 7nm which will be used as an important reason to price jump again.

AMD needs to pull their acts together. And Intel needs to jump into the pool faster. Without competition, consumers are all losers.

Reactions: Nanook

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
But consumers can choose to not buy RTX series... And keep buying GTX10xx series or VEGAs (thanks also for their price reduction)...
In this way, they're able to harm NVIDIA in a way much more effective then by thousand of post on forums!

I'm those not impressed by benchmark either... as RTX2080ti should be renamed RTX2080... As there's no point NOW to buy a RTX2080, if we compared that to a GTX1080ti...

Reactions: loader963

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
The Pascal leap was great for all consumers. But sustaining that type of jump is not viable in terms of business and technology. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not sympathizing with Nvidia in any way.
At the end of the day, whether you buy the 2080ti for 4k144, or 1080ti for better “value”, you’re still purchasing from the same company.
For me, I prefer the 2080, over the 1080ti, mainly due to lower power consumption, and being more SFF (SFX and NanoATX) friendly.

Last edited:
Reactions: wovie and owliwar

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
@K888D

Great comments and absolutely sodium free which is refreshing indeed!
Our forum in general is fairly tame in that regard which is amazing really.

A lot of great tech in Turing and maybe a watershed moment in PC gaming as we know it. Time will tell.

Still they have margin to give. The are only competing with Pascal so they will push pricing to the limits. It is a business after all.

Reactions: Nanook and K888D

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
"It's too expensive and the new features don't work yet" is somewhere we've been before, with the introduction of Hardware Texture & Lighting, and with the introduction of fully programmable shaders (CUDA cores). The 2080 and 2080Ti sit right on the price/perf curve with the 10xx series in regular raster performance:

(and for comaprison, the last time around):

DLSS and other raster performance improvements (like Variable Rate Shading) are only going to shift that up, not down. While the ILM stormtrooper demo looks neat, practical raytracing applications are going to be along the hybrid lines proposed at the GDC dev talks, augmenting areas where raster and screen-space effects fail (most reflection cases, lots of lighting issues when objects are nearby each other). For VR specifically, screen-space effects don't work properly, so raytracing is going to be the only game in town. More importantly for adoption, rayracing vastly simplifies things for developers who no longer need to work around the limitations of raster hacks to generate a certain look (e.g. being super careful where screen-space reflection surfaces are placed to avoid seeing the 'holes' in the backside of culled dynamic scene objects).

I don't buy the "this just means future cards will cost even more!" idea either. The original GTX Titan arrived 5 years ago with the 7xx series (and had been preceded with other $1k+ halo cards like the GTX 690 or 8800 Ultra) after all. The very top of the 'top end' hasn't really shifted up, and more cards will be released to fill out the rest of the range in time, as with every other generation. Even if those cards lack the RT cores or even Tensor cores, the other improvements to the CUDA cores (e.g. FP+INT simultaneous execution) will still be available. I rather expect Ampere to still feature a number of Tensor cores to take advantage of DLSS (without the number required for RT raypathing and denoise).
Unless you need or want new cards right away, waiting is generally a winning strategy.

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Are these the first online pictures of a RTX Founder's Edition inside a DAN case?

At any rate it is great to see how one would look in very small cases like this one. I too would prefer a true ITX 2070 but the 9 inch Founders card is like a decent compromise.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
^Nice!

For me the DANcase’s bread and butter is that it supports reference sized GPUs while still being very small.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Are these the first online pictures of a RTX Founder's Edition inside a DAN case?

At any rate it is great to see how one would look in very small cases like this one. I too would prefer a true ITX 2070 but the 9 inch Founders card is like a decent compromise.

OMG did he really make custom cables in the flavor of Noctua case fans!!!! I'm loving it.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
@EdZ nice post man. :thumb:

“Wait “as you say is the best advice at this point unless one is an early adopter, must have the best right now at any cost have cash to burn etc. Then go for it.

The tech excites me but I’ve never been the target for Halo cards. Even now that I’m older ,more established and have the means. I’m happy at the mid/high range price/performance.

Yes as you state the tech in the $1200 2080 ti will trickle down the stack in a few years time. But the price of entry now is insanely high from my point of view. My entire pc which includes all m.2 storage, a flagship mobo and spendy chassis in the CerbX , Vega64 etc is about 1700 all told for example.

This gens Ti is 500 more than last gens Ti. The Titan is now 3k in the Titan V.
Next gen $1500 for the Ti is totally possible. I would love to be wrong here but I’m not too optimistic.

1200+ for one part is never going to be me for my personal fun box. I’d rather go on vacation. This is all one mans opinion of course and I certainly bear no ill to those who go for it. Yolo.
:cool:

EDIT: for the funny. Hardware Canuks showing a possible Vram limitation at 4K with only 8GB vram. Cherry picked AF of course but something to consider. 1080ti 11gb holding strong. Vega 64 a slim win!?

http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image//skymtl/GPU/RTX2080-REVIEW/RTX2080-REVIEW-54.jpg

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Anyone have a 2080ti Strix by chance? Trying to get the part number/manufacturer of the fans. Thanks!

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
similar request to anyone with a 20-series strix card: what's the overall thickness from the back of the backplate to the top of the finstack without the shroud and fans? o_o

(or any non-blower AIB card actually)

EDIT: I'm not looking for that dimension for an FE card O_O sorry sorry sorry

Last edited:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
similar request to anyone with a 20-series strix card: what's the overall thickness from the back of the backplate to the top of the finstack without the shroud and fans? o_o

(or any non-blower AIB card actually)
I can try to caliper that measurement through the side openings. Won’t be accurate but the FE shroud is hard to disassemble.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
GALAX does reference coolers identical to the FE cards O_O
Not quite the same as the reference cooler. The vapour chamber/finstack block is similar but not the same, and the midplate (provides heat distribution for the VRM and memory with some thermal isolation from the GPU) appears to be absent.