GPU Geforce 20 series (RTX) discussion thread (E: 2070 Review unbargo!)

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
My prediction is that RTX will be hotter and thirstier than Pascal. They should perform better but to do that will take a step back in efficiency. FPS up perf/W down. Just my take.

The founders cards have a beefy cooler for a reason.

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
Here's what's rattling me atm.
https://www.techpowerup.com/247573/nvidia-announces-tesla-t4-tensor-core-gpu

If we can have all that in a 75w package, why the hell is Nvidia not giving us these options in Desktop class cards?

I'm not directly comparing Workstation and Desktop here, but that card is basically a 2080 minus all the outputs with power and clockspeed tuning to get into that power bracket.

Smaller "fully featured" cards with less power are clearly possible now even at the end of this node.

Last edited:

huttunonsense

Efficiency Noob
Sep 18, 2018

The one on the right looks like it could be a mini.

wovie

Trash Compacter
Aug 18, 2015
Well the reviews are in for the 2080 vs 1080 Ti and I have to admit I'm disappointed. I was expecting at least a minor increase in performance but it looks like it's just on par. Oh well. I was contemplating getting a 1080 Ti and upgrading it with an Accelero Xtreme, but my 2080 is actually arriving tomorrow so I'm just going to enjoy it as-is and jump on to the next hype train: i9-9900K...

Reactions: loader963

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
My take from the launch reviews; (I've been staying out of the discussion until I saw real results)
  • RTX is most definitely off at this point
  • Typical generational improvement
  • However power consumption increase takes a lot of the responsibility for the previous point
  • I'm not expecting SFF versions of 2080 or 2080ti
  • AMD, where the bloody hell are you :|

A launch of a product where the key marketed feature isn't functional day one is one sure fire way to shake consumer confidence in a brand. Imagine if a car brand launched a new style of hybrid car but the hybrid functionality was unable to be used until a few weeks after? A chocolate bar released where the chocolate was delicious but the filling was inedible until patches were released?

Unfortunately we have reached a point (Intel knows this well, and Karma has been quite the bitch on this one) where a PC tech brand owns the market, and feels able to play marketing games with consumers and get away with it. It's AMD's fault as much as it is NVIDIA's. If AMD's RTG (Radeon Technologies Group) was able to compete in the high end, NVIDIA wouldn't be able to get away with shenanigans such as the past few weeks - RTX only pre-release results, NDAs that hold the tech media by the balls, and last minute sample delivery, meaning that some tech media only had 2-3 working days to get content ready or miss the launch buzz.

I could say "vote with your wallets", but we all know the bleeding edge buyers have already ponied up, and the uneducated within the PC space have already joined them. People throwing four figure dollar amounts at a product that isn't complete at this stage.

Granted, the tech and the games supporting it are just around the corner, I can't help but feel this is a giant middle finger to all those in the tech media, the AIB partners and those who exercise common sense when making purchasing decisions. "How much of your life do you want to not have ray-traced? "(Thanks Tom's Hardware for that gem of a quote) Seems NVIDIA is banking on the hype train more than any brand has since AMD's epic failure that was Bulldozer.

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
@confusis totally agree with your analysis!

Hope RTG group will make some big improvements as much as AMD did to the CPU portfolio with the Zen launch...

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
I disagree with the generational improvement. The 980 was 20-25% improvement over a 780 ti, the 980 Ti was another 25~% over the non Ti. Then the 1080 was a 25-30% over a 980 ti while the 1080 Ti was a 30% boost over a regular 1080.

Today we have a 2080 with a 5% boost over a 1080 ti.... along with ray tracing. I don’t know how fast ray tracing will take off but I just don’t see the value. It just seems to me like Nvidia should have erased the Ti off the 2080 Ti and made it the 2080.

Ray tracing may be huge and a game changer one day, I’m not smart enough to know. But I doubt that day will be in 2018-2019.

Last edited:

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
@loader963 I was applying more of an industry wide generational improvement of 10% or so - kind of an average across Blue, Red and Green team generations of products :)

Reactions: loader963

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
2080? a bit underwhelming in games we can play today vs that much cheaper (especially used) 1080ti.

2080ti? epeen extension and basically the only market 'win' today is fastest single GPU there is. Especially if you are all in on 4k gaming. So that is something I suppose. I mean if you like it and you have the jack.. buy the sports car player.

2070? no hard data but my magic 8 ball says "outlook not good." Especially with RT enabled.

@confusis great comments and could not agree more.

Here are some that hopefully don't sound too much like a rant or me telling kids to get off my lawn..

Remember everyone that the fastest GPU just not too long ago in 2014 was a GTX 980 and was launched at $549. The 980ti hits in June of '15 for $649. 1080ti in March '17 $699. 2080 today at $799 and the 2080ti at $1199..

4 years 3 generations and almost doubling the asking price of the halo gaming card. I get that Turing has AI and compute DNA. The die is large. The RnD is in the undisclosed milions for what Jensen says is a decade. Yeah? Not my problem.

Just say no. Ignore the shiny new hotness until pricing and practices are in favor of the consumer.

PCMR and all but damn man. Jus daym!

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
2080? a bit underwhelming in games we can play today vs that much cheaper (especially used) 1080ti.

2080ti? epeen extension and basically the only market 'win' today is fastest single GPU there is. Especially if you are all in on 4k gaming. So that is something I suppose. I mean if you like it and you have the jack.. buy the sports car player.

2070? no hard data but my magic 8 ball says "outlook not good." Especially with RT enabled.

@confusis great comments and could not agree more.

Here are some that hopefully don't sound too much like a rant or me telling kids to get off my lawn..

Remember everyone that the fastest GPU just not too long ago in 2014 was a GTX 980 and was launched at $549. The 980ti hits in June of '15 for $649. 1080ti in March '17 $699. 2080 today at $799 and the 2080ti at $1199..

4 years 3 generations and almost doubling the asking price of the halo gaming card. I get that Turing has AI and compute DNA. The die is large. The RnD is in the undisclosed milions for what Jensen says is a decade. Yeah? Not my problem.

Just say no. Ignore the shiny new hotness until pricing and practices are in favor of the consumer.

PCMR and all but damn man. Jus daym!

Linus mentioned in his video that NVidia is showing the worst qualities of PC Gaming with this launch.... and I agree. Maybe intel can give the competition a shot in the arm? They have a bad history though of cutting any segment of theirs that doesn't do well immediately.

Reactions: owliwar and TheHig

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I agree with everyone here, the overall vibe seems very negative, so here are a few positive points to throw into the ring for discussion:
  • The generational improvement is somewhere between 30% - 40% between equivalent successive model cards, thats huge.
  • FPS per Watt has increased, these new cards are quite a bit more efficient than Pascal at producing FPS.
  • Overall system power consumption has increased when using this 2000 series, not just the GPU itself. The CPU has now become the bottleneck, meaning the whole system is being stressed more overall trying to keep up with the GPU. This is skewing the power consumption results a little until you consider this aspect.
  • The cost is allot higher, I'm not justifying NVidia for this, but consider what Apple and Samsung have done with the price of their flagship products over the past 5 years. Another example is display technology (OLED for example), the first generation can cost like 5x more than the previous tech.
  • Nvidia have increased the CUDA core count, power efficiency, added 2 new types of dedicated core sets on top of the standard cores, and developed completely new technologies that have the potential to make a giant leap forward in graphical quality, yes there not available just yet, but neither was 4K content until a few years after the first 4K TV's.
This isn't your typical next gen launch of adding a few extra cores, this is a massive step forward. The FPS results speak for themselves and this is just with existing games that don't take advantage of the new types of cores and processing technology available.

They are expensive, but cutting edge flagship technology always is. At the very least it should mean that we see existing generation cards come down in price making what may have been previously unaffordable to be within the budget of the "average enthusiast".

Sorry if I've offended anyone with the positivity!