GPU Geforce 20 series (RTX) discussion thread (E: 2070 Review unbargo!)

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I agree, 7nm + RT maturity + competition from Intel will likely make the next generation amazing. But who has time to wait, life is short. :p
I agree. Furthermore, the greatness of 7nm plus whatever other factors will be matched by an equally great price. Price of the next generation cards will be even higher than that of this 20-series.

On another note, I feel that Nvidia is betting much more on RT than their previous PhysX. For one, they even change the name from GTX (a well established name) to RTX. If RT does not take off, it will be quite embarrassing. A quick check indicates some big titles like Battlefield V and Metro Exodus will have some degree of RT.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I think the difference here is that RT has been a holy grail for a while and has been used for a long time in pre-rendered scenes and movies. So it's not really a new fad, it's something that has been around, but until now wasn't feasible to implement in real time. I think it will definitely take off in games. I just don't love that it's a separate hardware accelerator, I hope they can somehow unify everything in the future again, so the architecture is more versatile.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I expect real time ray tracing to be a fairly big thing in a few years and lead to some pretty great improvements when games start implementing it.
The issue I see is that by the time more than a couple games implement it, Nvidia will likely be launching the next generation, so these high prices are just an early adopter tax.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
probably gonna look like this. of course Nvidia couldnt say that out loud.

I completely understand the processing economics of raytracying, so if they do say that I'd completely commiserate with them.
unfortunately I'm not sure how many casuals would, so maybe probably that's why they didn't give out numbers, and also probably why they spent the first two-thirds of the keynote explaining raytracing like everyone's 5, again

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Furthermore, the greatness of 7nm plus whatever other factors will be matched by an equally great price
I'm not expecting 7nm (or 10nm or any similarly scaled process) to offer any dramatic performance gains - if any at all - same as with the last few scalings, or any real price gains due to dramatically increased process complexity (both SAQP and EUV have yet to be used in production, and everyone is having problems getting yields up on large dies). Future gains will come from process maturity and design improvements, gains from pure "fab the same thing but smaller" shrinkings vanished the better part of a decade ago.

Duality92

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 12, 2018
Price per performance seems like they're basically the same from Pascal to Turing. They basically only have a higher end card than what Pascal had.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I'm not expecting 7nm (or 10nm or any similarly scaled process) to offer any dramatic performance gains - if any at all - same as with the last few scalings, or any real price gains due to dramatically increased process complexity (both SAQP and EUV have yet to be used in production, and everyone is having problems getting yields up on large dies). Future gains will come from process maturity and design improvements, gains from pure "fab the same thing but smaller" shrinkings vanished the better part of a decade ago.

I'm not sure I follow. The last generation move, the GTX 970 to GTX 1060 offered similar performance, at about a 20% reduction in price. The 970 cost $350, and the 1060 6gb retailed for $280. The 3gb 1060 was always very close at around $240 street price.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
I'm not sure I follow. The last generation move, the GTX 970 to GTX 1060 offered similar performance, at about a 20% reduction in price. The 970 cost $350, and the 1060 6gb retailed for $280. The 3gb 1060 was always very close at around $240 street price.

I’d almost say a better competitor for the 1060 would be a 980 than the 970. Pascal was a decentl jump.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
980Ti 649 launch price. 2014

1080Ti 699 launch price 2017

2080Ti 1199 launch price 2018

You get more tech actually but yes...That’s a lot of “tax”. o_O

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
From what I have been hearing, the Ti is replacing the Titan line, so maybe the pricing doesn't seem as insane as it otherwise might. Will have to see if performance justifies the cost, and if it performs above a current titan level for the price.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
To be fair you are 100% correct. What does the new $1200 card do compared to the previous $1200 card?

Will be interesting to see for sure.

It seems that Pascal gave high end performance to masses by getting the previous Ti performance down to $450 or less with the 1060-70. Now RTX took it right back up to unreachable for most. My early take on it. I

Last edited:

Duality92

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 12, 2018
Considering the 1080 Ti is 28/30 CUs of a Titan Xp (30/30 CUs) for considerably more $$, I don't think it will replace the Titan.

I'm thinking the Titan Xt will release in the not so distance future (4-6 months) with Nvidia revealing 4352 isn't the max die CUDA cores, while it's actually 4896 or 4624

greyhound

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2018
From what I have been hearing, the Ti is replacing the Titan line, so maybe the pricing doesn't seem as insane as it otherwise might. Will have to see if performance justifies the cost, and if it performs above a current titan level for the price.
the issue with this gen aren't the names of the cards, but their specs...

you can consider the 2080 like a 2080ti and the 2080ti like a 2080titan...but that doesn't change the fact that the 2080 has worse specs than a 1080ti

btw

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/nvid...-tomb-raider-with-60fps-at-1080p-with-rtx-on/

the 2080ti 30-70 fps with raytracing at FULL HD with tomb raider...

this is just a joke

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The Ray Tracing tech seems really promising, but for me it's hard to justify spending that kind of money just for that considering the 1080 I have is still serving me well. I'm interested in the performance gains in non-RTX scenarios as it hasn't really been addressed in the presentation.

Aichon

Average Stuffer
Oct 16, 2017
Yeah, I can't help but feel a bit disappointed by all of this. I mean, I'm incredibly bullish on ray tracing taking off eventually and being the way of the future, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that Nvidia's approach will be the one that is widely adopted, but it'll be years before we see it as a standard feature across all of the major game engines, and years again before we actually see most AAA games leveraging ray tracing effectively. And even then, raster techniques aren't going away, so raster performance will still matter for the foreseeable future.

The raster performance with the 20-series looks like it'll be a modest bump, rather than the major one that we saw last generation. As someone planning a new build with no previous parts, and who had been planning to aim for 1080 Ti-level performance, my only option in the 20-series is the 2080 Ti, which, at that price and with such a modest bump, is a huge ask for them to make. At this point, I'm inclined to have a conversation with the missus about setting money aside for an upgrade in 2-4 years while I ditch my plans for 1080 Ti performance and instead pick up a hold-me-over 1070 or 1080 for cheap. Hopefully by then the ray tracing content production pipelines will be mature, the market will be more competitive, and new fab processes will be up and running.