G-Unique Plug&Play Units Pre-Order!

Status
Not open for further replies.
April 29 2017 Update: @guryhwa is now taking orders direct: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...bto-psus-are-now-available-direct-order.1983/

Hey guys! Finally, we are ready to start accepting pre-orders for the G-Unique Plug&Play Units! XD

Why are you opening pre-order and not directly selling the units? I'm glad you asked! January 28th will be the Chinese New Year and @guryhwa will be taking a break. Accepting pre-orders will help guryhwa to prepare the orders more efficiently.

All prices and custom options:
  • Base unit (no cables) $34.99
    • Default cables set ([25cm 4pin/8pin cable] + [30cm+15cm sata*2 cables] + [DC input cable]) +$4.99
    • Custom Cables Length & Connectors +$14.99
    • Custom DC Jack +$9.99
  • Power adapter
    • 120w +$9.99
    • 220w +$14.99
    • 300w +$39.99
    • 400w +$49.99
So how to pre-order?
  1. Head over to our google form[https://******/forms/accqdgRrDhdtmTlq1], read all the terms and conditions, and fill out the information&all the customization options.
  2. Submit the form and wait! We will contact you within 48 hours and send you an invoice if everything is good. If we are not sure about something we will contact you as well!
  3. Pay your invoice via our Paypal.me link or send money to us via GOODS AND SERVICES(very important). After that, reply our email with your PayPal email address and account name, as well as a screenshot for us to confirm your payment.
  4. After confirming your Payment, we will send you a confirmation email, and you are good to go! :D
The FIRST 10 people who paid the invoice will receive a free 120w power adapter or a 10$ discount on the order! :D

Not sure what G-Unique Plug&Play Units are? Head over to this thread to learn more!
For more information, feel free to contact me via PM or send me an email: brian1461748123@gmail.com!

PEACE!

Last edited by a moderator:

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I've never seen a 400W power brick, nor could I find one online. Do you have the dimensions/weight of it? Is it completely wrapped in plastic or does it have ventilation holes? If you could post a picture, it'll be much appreciated.

Reactions: Twinstar

Lone

King of Cable Management
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
@Lone I was wondering if your package was shipped directly from China.

There are three labels on top of each other on my package. I think it's safe to assume it was shipped directly from China (the tape used on the box is covered in superbuy.com logos).

Congratulations!
Could you give us some detail shots of the DC-DC PSU?
What is the height of the unit? I think its smaller height is a clear advantage over the HDPlex 160W - at least it would be in my use case.

Height of the PCB off the connector is about 22 mm. It's the exact same unit that is shown at the beginning of this thread, and this thread. The G-Unique is definitely smaller and more compact, but a pretty different from the HDPLEX 160W. It is more comparable to the Mini-Box PicoPSU-160-XT, but even more compact due to the wires being soldered parallel to the PCB.

I've never seen a 400W power brick, nor could I find one online. Do you have the dimensions/weight of it? Is it completely wrapped in plastic or does it have ventilation holes? If you could post a picture, it'll be much appreciated.

The 400W units are modified units. The order form has a lot of information, including this regarding the optional AC adapters: "All circuit boards are made by Delta. Please note that all the adapter are NOT BRAND NEW. They are OEM adapters and the logo are scraped off due to custom problems." See also this post.

I ordered the 120W AC adapter (IBM brand covered with a sticker, dimensions are 155 x 69 x 36 mm).

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Thanks, I went thru the form and saw that info. Modded Dell units... that sounds a little sketchy. The highest-rated Dell unit is 330W, I'm guessing that's what they used, but modded it somehow to work at 400W. And it only costs $50, when the Dell units are $100-110. And even for those original Dell adapters, if you go on Amazon and read some reviews, a lot of people are saying they can't get up to 330W and shut off before that, and even get permanently damaged if you push them consistently. So I'd definitely want to see some testing before I get that modded 400W brick. I think a 400W passively cooled PSU with no ventilation just can't work, that's why it doesn't exist normally.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Unfortunately, we don't really have the complete story at this point. The AC adapters are optional. Do you need 400W? For the price, I figure it's worth trying. There's also a difference between typical usage and peak usage. Maybe it's only designed to handle peak loads up to 400W? Maybe I'm being naive, but I do feel some trust in @guryhwa due to the fact that he's supposedly making these PCB himself, so I figure he knows what he is doing, and wouldn't do anything that would damage his reputation.

Reactions: Grafite and CXH4

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
G-Unique PCB boards accepts only 12V so I guess those AC adapters are modded Dell DA-2 12V 18A, with beefier components ?

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I believe @EdZ explained somewhere that 12V AC adapters are designed to power whole systems, while a 19V brick is designed to recharge a battery at constant load.

Thus, a 12V brick seems more able to deal with peak loads than 19V bricks. Seems those Dell DA-2 may have some headroom that @guryhwa is exploiting.

Reactions: CXH4 and Lone

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Ah I see, I didn't realize they delivered 12V. Even more incredible that a 220W sealed brick has been modified to handle 400W. I'd love more information/pictures and some testing. When a Corsair SF450 gets close to 400W, the 92mm fan spins at 1600+ RPM, so this is amazing engineering if it works reliably.

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
I'm kinda late again on replying to all the emails and DM's, and I really just dont have time to reply to them sometimes :(
So I opened a discord server, with @guryhwa in it as well, so if you have any question, regardless pre-sales, technical or shipping and customer support, you can contact us there for quicker response: https://discord.gg/bGPsqDE
I will start replying to all the DM's and emails now, its kinda hard for me to squeeze out 30min to read emails, with discord I can just reply while I'm in school :)

Thanks!

Lone

King of Cable Management
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Please consider adding the Discord link to your first post.

Also, it doesn't look like default power input wires are long enough for the S4 Mini. Perfect length for cases with the power input cutout near the motherboard (Mini-ITX).

Reactions: Phuncz

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
If I could find a sufficient brick, could one of these handle 500-600W?

At that point, the issue is not necessarily if it can handle 500-600W, is how would you add connectors/cables for it so that you can consume 500-600W?

At 500W, I'm assuming it's a highly clocked i7 + 1080ti, or a 1070SLI system. Since the GPU is what consumes the most power, you should just send power from the brick to the GPU.

Mar 6, 2017
At that point, the issue is not necessarily if it can handle 500-600W, is how would you add connectors/cables for it so that you can consume 500-600W?

At 500W, I'm assuming it's a highly clocked i7 + 1080ti, or a 1070SLI system. Since the GPU is what consumes the most power, you should just send power from the brick to the GPU.

Yeah, similar to that. I have an i7 and a 1060 that I want to watercool, but there's no full cover blocks for the 1060 so I was thinking of swapping for a Fury X, which unfortunately uses more power. In addition, the fans I was going to use end up consuming 30W at full load, so I wanted at least 500W or so to be on the safe side.

Mar 6, 2017
So I thought about it some and I'm not so sure about sending power directly to the GPU. How would I go about testing my external brick to make sure its output is within specifications? Should I make a new thread for this?

wabbitro

Caliper Novice
Feb 17, 2017
@Lone I just got a shipping tracking number but the pictures he sent along with it showed a different address o.o.

guryhwa

Cable-Tie Ninja
G-Unique
Dec 23, 2016

there is a discrete load controlled PCB attached directly to the DC-in plug,i had soldered the VGA pcie cable to the sub pcb in 300watts/400watts high power set, so the large current of hi-end VGA card wouldn't need to be handled by de 24pin directplug PSU itself ,this design made the less cable loss and heat,higher efficiency.

it has the ability to powered a 1080sli system if you can apply a high power 12V input.

Mar 6, 2017

there is a discrete load controlled PCB attached directly to the DC-in plug,i had soldered the VGA pcie cable to the sub pcb in 300watts/400watts high power set, so the large current of hi-end VGA card wouldn't need to be handled by de 24pin directplug PSU itself ,this design made the less cable loss and heat,higher efficiency.

it has the ability to powered a 1080sli system if you can apply a high power 12V input.

So there's no need to filter the input from the 12V brick?

guryhwa

Cable-Tie Ninja
G-Unique
Dec 23, 2016
Ah I see, I didn't realize they delivered 12V. Even more incredible that a 220W sealed brick has been modified to handle 400W. I'd love more information/pictures and some testing. When a Corsair SF450 gets close to 400W, the 92mm fan spins at 1600+ RPM, so this is amazing engineering if it works reliably.

when using the default DELL D220P brick ,it will be triggered a over current protection(OCP) if the ouput is beyond 20A,(240watts output),so ,all the bricks in 300/400watts i modded need to be set to a higher OCP limit .
indeed,due to the large capacity of input capacitor 24pin direct plug DCATX ,the 220watss set 's brick stilled need to be modded to postpone the inrush current protection .

So there's no need to filter the input from the 12V brick?

the input capacitors on the 24pin direct plug dcatx board act as the input filtering components,besides, the Vp-p is greatly reduced since i had changed the output inductor /capacitor after finished modding the bricks.
it dont need any additional filter circuit/components,unless your hardware is so cost-downed that it has insufficient local decoupling capacitor.
to high end PCFI user ,which aim is lowest Vp-p,i have design PSU panel-like filtering pcb

Status
Not open for further replies.