G-Unique Plug&Play DC-ATX Oversea Edition Preview

What price do G-Unique Plug&Play units deserved?

• Lower than pico units (assuming same wattage)

• About the same as pico units (assuming same wattage)

• A little bit higher than pico units (assuming same wattage)

• Much higher than pico units (assuming same wattage)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
Will cables such as 6 or 8 pin connectors for GPU's be possible as well?
Yes, that will be possible as well. But a gpu with 8 pins on it... dat power consumption XD

Edit: but due to the board size, we won't have that many spaces to soldered on 8 individual cables, so we will use 16awg cables then connect that to a 8 pin connector.

Last edited:

CXH4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 18, 2016
Yes, that will be possible as well. But a gpu with 8 pins on it... dat power consumption XD

Edit: but due to the board size, we won't have that many spaces to soldered on 8 individual cables, so we will use 16awg cables then connect that to a 8 pin connector.

Another question about the 8 pin connector; is it possible to have the 6+2 pin variant? For someone who may swap GPU's on occasions? (Upgrading)

Reactions: 1461748123

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I would like to purchase a 250W unit with custom connectors :
- one 6-Pin connector
- 2 molex + 1 sata

What would be the typical production delay ?

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
Hi, can you make 200W PicoPSU with 4pin CPU and 8pin GPU?
Config: 7700T (35W) + 1070 (150W).

I would like to purchase a 250W unit with custom connectors :
- one 6-Pin connector
- 2 molex + 1 sata

What would be the typical production delay ?

Thanks for the interest! :D
We are not ready to sell them now. We do all the materials and design ready but we want to properly price our units and all the customizable options first before we accept any orders.
I estimate that we will have all the price figure out this month and will start accepting orders early on February.

Production time really depends on what customize options you have ordered. If you don't need any customizations it should be ready in 1-3 days :)

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
This will be our first product aiming only for the western market :)

Hello. I would like to thank you fine gentlemen for FINALLY producing a product that I've been waiting for a long time. I am a huge proponent of using pure 12V builds. I find hdplex's solution outdated and cumbersome. Why do we have so many wires, space, taken up when we could be using a PICO + 12V PSU. Why do we need two large boards for AC-DC and then DC-DC when the AC-DC is already regulating the voltage, why are we regulating it twice? There are 4"x2" meanwell 12V PSU, with 92% efficiency that can push pure 200W of 12V power for lower power builds, and a 5"x3" 400W 12V PSU as well.

With this G-unit, we now have a powerful compact, low number of cables builds! THANK YOU!

I hope to be able to order one of the first few versions.

For pricing, I hope we can do $30-40 for a midrange unit. I'm not sure how logistically that will work out. My build plan is to use a PICO-BOX version, and have the PSU wired to Plugin-Pico, 4pin CPU, and 6pin GPU.

While it is much cheaper this way, as the plugin is only $18 shipped, it is not nearly as elegant.

I hope to see products in the 200W, 300W, and 400W version. Each version should have higher number of outputs. Perhaps limit the 200W and 300W to only a 6pin PCIE and have the 400W handle 8 pin. It is okay to limit choices as it'll streamline your production.

I want to see G-Unique and 12V PSU builds to be the defacto standard for upcoming SFF builds. If we can reach the price point of $30-40, that when combined with a 12V PSU, it'll come roughly out to the price of an SFX PSU for much smaller volume.

Lastly, I see no reason we should compare this to mini-box's pico products. They ignored the community and stopped improving for years. It is also over-priced for the amount of engineering and quality you get. Same product for the last 7 years with no improvements.

Last edited:

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
Hello. I would like to thank you fine gentlemen for FINALLY producing a product that I've been waiting for a long time. I am a huge proponent of using pure 12V builds. I find hdplex's solution outdated and cumbersome. Why do we have so many wires, space, taken up when we could be using a PICO + 12V PSU. Why do we need two large boards for AC-DC and then DC-DC when the AC-DC is already regulating the voltage, why are we regulating it twice? There are 4"x2" meanwell 12V PSU, with 92% efficiency that can push pure 200W of 12V power for lower power builds, and a 5"x3" 400W 12V PSU as well.

With this G-unit, we now have a powerful compact, low number of cables builds! THANK YOU!

I hope to be able to order one of the first few versions.

For pricing, I hope we can do $30-40 for a midrange unit. I'm not sure how logistically that will work out. My build plan is to use a PICO-BOX version, and have the PSU wired to Plugin-Pico, 4pin CPU, and 6pin GPU.

While it is much cheaper this way, as the plugin is only $18 shipped, it is not nearly as elegant.

I hope to see products in the 200W, 300W, and 400W version. Each version should have higher number of outputs. Perhaps limit the 200W and 300W to only a 6pin PCIE and have the 400W handle 8 pin. It is okay to limit choices as it'll streamline your production.

I want to see G-Unique and 12V PSU builds to be the defacto standard for upcoming SFF builds. If we can reach the price point of $30-40, that when combined with a 12V PSU, it'll come roughly out to the price of an SFX PSU for much smaller volume.

Lastly, I see no reason we should compare this to mini-box's pico products. They ignored the community and stopped improving for years. It is also over-priced for the amount of engineering and quality you get. Same product for the last 7 years with no improvements.

I hope you use standard molex connectors that are easily available. Or perhaps use open circuits so people can mod their own.

We have not decided the price yet :D We will definitely let you know when we got the price set!

Reactions: Thehack

Lone

King of Cable Management
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I'm interested in these, and really hope things pan out. If they are made to order, perhaps you could have predefined configurations for certain cases. I would consider having these as a recommended product for my customers if they prove to be a high quality product.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
So if you have a Dell 330W modded to output 500W, what are the odds of making something non-massive to produce 300W?

Also if you're looking for power supplies like the Meanwell TheHack used here, there is a large selection at Mouser. I've done a search with 300-600W output, 12V (G-Unique) or 24V (HDPlex) outputs and a maximum length of 170mm to get you started. Some of these are remarkably small for the output.

http://ca.mouser.com/Power/Power-Su...&Rl=axgkhZer8qZ1z0jf3mZ1z0jg96SGT&Ns=Length|0

Last edited:

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
So if you have a Dell 330W modded to output 500W, what are the odds of making something non-massive to produce 300W?
I have talked to guryhwa before about this idea as well, but he said that isn't possible for some reason. I'm not the tech guy so I really can't answer you on that, but perhaps @guryhwa can? :D

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
@Thehack which internal Meanwell AC/DC unit would you recommend for a low-power system needing 80-90W only?

I believe he was using one of the Meanwell EPP series:

http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mean-Well/EPP-400-12/?qs=/ha2pyFaduibH6BPwKt6Oy5FcHoFLb6iNEUXUk6eItEJYuXM3jjO1Q==

They're the only reasonably priced units I've been able to find so far. Most others are 200-500 dollars. The one concern I have about this sort of switching power supply is that they aren't enclosed and as I understand it aren't super safe to work with if you don't know what you're doing. Can anyone more educated please comment on this?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
@Thehack which internal Meanwell AC/DC unit would you recommend for a low-power system needing 80-90W only?

I would look into the EPP-200-12 or EPP-100-12. The price difference isn't drastically different between the two so I'd get the 200W version. I would avoid the EPP-150 as the specs aren't very good.

When working with them just make sure you are wiring correctly. Check and double check because if you short the output you will not have a fun time. This is no different than wiring other power supplies but since they usually come prewired you don't do yourself. You also need to make connectors for them and use the correct specs. I will write a guide for them soon.

I believe he was using one of the Meanwell EPP series:

http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mean-Well/EPP-400-12/?qs=/ha2pyFaduibH6BPwKt6Oy5FcHoFLb6iNEUXUk6eItEJYuXM3jjO1Q==

They're the only reasonably priced units I've been able to find so far. Most others are 200-500 dollars. The one concern I have about this sort of switching power supply is that they aren't enclosed and as I understand it aren't super safe to work with if you don't know what you're doing. Can anyone more educated please comment on this?

They are safe to work on provided you treat it with respect when it is live. I repair electronics so I take the proper precautions. However if someone has no familiarity with electronics I would not recommend this.

The power supply itself has a default state of being on. It means it discharges itself when you aren't powering it. There is also an LED to show you when it is live.

Meanwell makes some reasonably priced enclosed external PSU as well.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I would look into the EPP-200-12 or EPP-100-12. The price difference isn't drastically different between the two so I'd get the 200W version. I would avoid the EPP-150 as the specs aren't very good.

When working with them just make sure you are wiring correctly. Check and double check because if you short the output you will not have a fun time. This is no different than wiring other power supplies but since they usually come prewired you don't do yourself. You also need to make connectors for them and use the correct specs. I will write a guide for them soon.

They are safe to work on provided you treat it with respect when it is live. I repair electronics so I take the proper precautions. However if someone has no familiarity with electronics I would not recommend this.

The power supply itself has a default state of being on. It means it discharges itself when you aren't powering it. There is also an LED to show you when it is live.

Meanwell makes some reasonably priced enclosed external PSU as well.

Looking forward to your guide!