Generic name for PicoPSU-style units?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Ok, I think it's time we decide on a brand-agnostic name for PicoPSU-type DC-DC power supplies that plug into the 24-pin.

MINI-BOX PicoPSU (the original)

HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX

G-Unique Plug&Play DC-ATX Oversea Edition

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
We need to figure out a way to rename the 24 pin socket on the motherboard to MAMA. Would make for some great juvenile humour.

Reactions: ricochet

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
DC-ATX seems logical since AC-DC also refers to "input"-"output", although ATX is not an output but a PSU standard. Still, it's much clearer to people coming across it the first times I'd guess. No need to acronym it, DC-ATX is six characters. I'm pretty sure our mechanical keyboards and page-long posts are proof that we can just keep it at DC-ATX (if decided upon) without crashing the forum.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
DC-ATX seems logical since AC-DC also refers to "input"-"output", although ATX is not an output but a PSU standard. Still, it's much clearer to people coming across it the first times I'd guess. No need to acronym it, DC-ATX is six characters. I'm pretty sure our mechanical keyboards and page-long posts are proof that we can just keep it at DC-ATX (if decided upon) without crashing the forum.
Logical. Second vote for DC-ATX

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
By pure definition it is a power supply, "A power supply is an electronic device that supplies electric energy to an electrical load".

However, your point is valid - it is overstating its job a bit.

Reactions: ricochet

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I think DC-ATX is fine for the whole category, but I think we need something to specifically refer to the units that plug in to the 24-pin.

So Direct Plug DC-ATX (DPDA or just DPD) makes sense to me.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I agree with @Aibohphobia that DC-ATX is a class that encompasses separate boards, but 'Direct plug' doesn't immediately imply a PSU integrated into the plug, just that something plugs in directly, i.e. without an adapter. As the DC-DC PSU itself could be thought of as an adapter, the name could be confusing for an average reader.
How about Plug Integrated DC, or PIDC? Incorporating 'DC' into the acronym immediately informs laymen that "this item does something with power, but not AC wall power", and 'PI' does not have any alternate uses in the PC realm, so gives the acronym an immediately unique identifiable nature, even without knowledge of what the acronym stands for.
'Plug integrated' I'm a bit less happy with as it could imply integration into a plug at either 'end' of the DC-to-ATX adapter e.g. integration of the DC in jack as with the HDPlex's DC-ATX boards that mount where an ATX PSU would. Even though that is technically a socket there is room for an interpretation as "a DC thing integrated into that bit I plug into".

Reactions: 1461748123

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
I kinda agree with the Direct Plug route.
In Chinese we call this kind of product ‘直插DC电源’, which literally means 'Direct Plug DC-ATX'

Reactions: Phuncz