Stalled [New Video Assembly] Densium 4 & 4+ - Tiny cases with real hardwood frontpanel!

Gucky

Caliper Novice
May 15, 2022
Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with the nuances of SFF. Not my first rodeo 🤠👍.

I'll likely go with Ryzen 7000's highest perf/core 65W option, depending on benchmark results. I'm not strictly gaming focused as I also do a fair amount of homelab and infosec hobbyist stuff as well. As long as my games aren't bottlenecked, IPC and core count will matter more than frequency.

As for GPUs, I'd like to see the rumored low perf (probably non-ti) 4060 version make it into something resembling an ITX formfactor, but that's wishful thinking.
In the mean time, I've got alerts setup for a well priced RTX A4000. I'll do a SFF 3060 cooler swap, then tweak the crap out of it until I can get close to 3070 perf with a 16GB card for ~150-160W.

Altogether, a sub-300W build shouldn't be tough with some time spent on power tweaking.
It depends if you want the Densium 4 or 4+. I took the 4+ since its easier to find GPUs and it has easy room for a Sata SSD and cables.
And who knows what size future cards will be...
My build is a 3700X and a 3060TI which are sub 300W togather. (I looked for a B550 ITX board on ebay germany and the only one was bundled with the 3700X :D )
Don't go and use a 300W PSU :D. 500W is recommended by me...I use the 600W bought in the Densium Shop.

The A4000 goes for 800€ with some at 650€ in the past at ebay here. Its not worth it, my 3060Ti was 400€. :D
That said if you have unlimited Money and want the smallest possible/best machiene...5800X3D and A4000 is the way to go in the Densium 4.

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
It depends if you want the Densium 4 or 4+. I took the 4+ since its easier to find GPUs and it has easy room for a Sata SSD and cables.
And who knows what size future cards will be...
My build is a 3700X and a 3060TI which are sub 300W togather. (I looked for a B550 ITX board on ebay germany and the only one was bundled with the 3700X :D )
Don't go and use a 300W PSU :D. 500W is recommended by me...I use the 600W bought in the Densium Shop.

The A4000 goes for 800€ with some at 650€ in the past at ebay here. Its not worth it, my 3060Ti was 400€. :D
That said if you have unlimited Money and want the smallest possible/best machiene...5800X3D and A4000 is the way to go in the Densium 4.
Yeah, I'm still trying to identify if I really need to go any larger.
Seeing as the cooler I'd have to install on the RTX A4000 will fit the 4, I don't really see a need to attempt to future proof as there likely won't be a better option on the market for another year. Although having that 222mm length would give me dual fan options...

It's a debate for when I'm ready to build. I'll give it some more thought, but the prospect of a 3.5L case with this kind of power is REALLY appealing.

As for pricing, keep an eye on the market. Prices are dropping every day.

I'm seeing very competitive prices on RTX A4000s as miners sell them off. I guess their low wattage made them a niche darling for miners as damn near any Google search you do on overclocking them is based on maximizing hashrate per watt.

Right now, there are bids starting at $450, very similar to what you'd pay for an ITX 3060ti.

That extra 8GB of GDDR6 will likely matter in at least some of my workloads as I work/play in 4K.

Hazzerboraco

Cable Smoosher
Jul 19, 2022
Hello.
Gen 4 riser cables are currently out of stock but I'd like to place an order while the free shipping and half price accessories deals are active.
Is there a way to make this happen?
Sorted :)
Audun re-stocked Gen 4 riser cables for ordering.

Placed an order for two cases - a 4 V2 for a build for my girlfriend, and a 4 Plus for myself. Need the extra room so that I can hopefully fit a RTX 3060 Ti hehe

Gucky

Caliper Novice
May 15, 2022
Sorted :)
Audun re-stocked Gen 4 riser cables for ordering.

Placed an order for two cases - a 4 V2 for a build for my girlfriend, and a 4 Plus for myself. Need the extra room so that I can hopefully fit a RTX 3060 Ti hehe
I know that the EVGA XC Gaming and the Asus Dual Mini 3060Tis fit. (I have the latter)
A Zotac Twin Edge might be just a few mm too long. You could literally shave it down, since its only the Backplate and Fanshroud. If the Size of the V2 is the same as my V1 D4+

Cards from other AIBs including the Founders are 2-3 cm too long...

Reactions: AMv8-1day

Hazzerboraco

Cable Smoosher
Jul 19, 2022
I know that the EVGA XC Gaming and the Asus Dual Mini 3060Tis fit. (I have the latter)
A Zotac Twin Edge might be just a few mm too long. You could literally shave it down, since its only the Backplate and Fanshroud. If the Size of the V2 is the same as my V1 D4+

Cards from other AIBs including the Founders are 2-3 cm too long...

Yeah, I'm planning on acquiring an EVGA XC eventually. Unforunately, none of these buids will be anytime soon as I've spent all my money buying the two cases with power supplies :')

• Haha
Reactions: AMv8-1day

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
Does anyone know what PCB the Asus and EVGA cards use? Are they custom, or reference boards?
The one thing that would push me to the 4+ is being able to aquire/mount a dual fan cooler to an RTX A4000 or possibly a 3070, as I understand it, some use the same PCB layout as certain 3060/ti's.

Gucky

Caliper Novice
May 15, 2022
@AMv8-1day
Well I looked a bit on techpowerup and found this:
A 3070 with really short PCB, but big cooler...229mm long...9mm too much for the D4+. Those 9mm are shroud and maybe a few fins only.

And this try on reddit:

Becareful on that one, since he used the 3060 Phoenix Cooler, which is too thick for the D4.
BUUUUT looking at this:

The Asus 3060ti Dual Mini PCB seems to be the EXACT SAME as the Asus Dual 3070 SI PCB!!!
Both coolers should be swappable...making a fitting Asus 3070 with 200mm in length possible.

All PCBs/cooler of Asus are not compatible to the A4000. Also the A4000 can't go as fast as a 3070, but with OC it can be faster a a stock 3060Ti it seems.

As for EVGA 3070s...those have long PCBs with holes for airflow...so nope...

Reactions: rfarmer

Gucky

Caliper Novice
May 15, 2022
What is the maximum RAM module height for this case?
same question

i hope my 44mm trident z neo fit
I have some Patriot Viper Steel (about 44,4mm) in the D4+ V1. They do press against the sidepanel, even if it is just a little bit...The sidepanel still closes, but also rests against the RAM.
Sooo I'd say 44mm MIGHT fit, but is also a bit too high.
I use the Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX Board. Some other Boards might have different clearings.
And I don't know about the V2...yet...

Bakaban

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 13, 2020
Transplanted my build in the Densium 4+ today. Rewarding experience! No issues. A lot of credit to the creator for the spine, it really makes it a smooth install. Also very happy with the pcie 4 riser from the shop. Works perfectly at the required speeds, no need to go into bios and set for 3 to be on the safe side!

One minor detail regarding component compatibility: I have the asrock 6600xt challenger itx card. It has a backplate. Was a bit tight with the riser behind it, pushed the card past the frame on the top corner. About 2 mm of stacked black tape pushes the card far enough away from the sidepanel to leave enough clearance for the gpu fan. Credits to Audun for the strong sidepanels and the crease/bend at the front that makes them so rigid. Even with that pressure from the gpu, the panel is perfectly flat, no bulge.

Parts in short:
Ryzen 3600
Asus b550 itx
Asrock 6600xt itx
2x hynix gold 1 tb ssd's
Kingston something something cheap 32 gb lowish profile ram
Noctua l9a
600 watt overtek unit (7660b, stock fan), from densium shop with the recommended cable lengths. Would advise a centimeter or 3 longer on the 24 pin for first time builders who are a bit scared of whipping cables into shape.

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I finally got the time to wire up my custom PSU solution. Looking good!

A bit annoyed at myself and Mouser, as they had listed the dimensions of the MW RPS-400-12 (open frame) under the RPS-400-12-C (enclosed). And I didn't have the braincells to check the actual datasheet. The 12 is 37mm tall; the 12-C is 43mm tall. But it fits! Sort of - it's damn tight, and ever so slightly bent. See how close it is to the PSU shroud opening? Yeah, that's when it's ever so slightly pushed down. Still, extremely glad the case had some spare room here!

If I really wanted to go the extra mile I'd take off the enclosure, take it to my makerspace and tune its bend a bit on the sheet metal brake there. But I can't be bothered, as the build actually went together with no real issues. As for why this PSU (if you missed my previous post here), I already have a very good PicoPSU, like 12V PSU setups, like the DIY aspect of it, and love the quality and efficiency of MeanWell's PSUs. 400W at 92% efficiency, 250W output with convection cooling only, and a tiny, moddable form factor? Yes, please. Definitely not for the faint of heart, as wiring your own AC input and stuff like that is definitely not risk-free. But double and triple checking, and knowing what you do, and you get a great result.

Oh, and I made a 3D printed cover plate to hold the AC receptacle + an NF-A4x20 PWM. It's not really necessary - the PSU does 250W passively, and that's where my build peaks under torture loads - but it's nice to have.

I'd share the .stl, except the measurements aren't quite right, and it needed some filing and cutting to fit.

I also replaced the mounting screws for my NH-L9i with some m3 screws I had lying around, as the large thumbscrews somewhat interfered with the riser and rear of the GPU. Feels a bit sketchy, but the contact area is actually identical to the original screws.

SSD is taped to the front panel; I might add an m.2 at some point. WiFi antennas are just floating inside the case for now, I'm not sure if I'll glue the internal antennas to the front or switch to rear mounted ones. The whole build is shockingly quiet for what it is - but then I guess a LM delidded 4670S isn't exactly the most stressful thing for the L9i to handle, and that GPU is very happy sitting next to the ventilated panel.

Only thing left: I've got two more NF-A4x20s that I'm going to fit in the top front of the case, as exhausts. I'm just waiting on some neodymium magnets to use for mounting.

Since my case is a prototype I can't really comment on final quality, and I have no idea if my small niggles are in the production run or not, but honestly I'm really, really happy with this case. Build quality is excellent, assembly is simple, ventilation is great, component clearance is just what it needs to be. The side panels were a bit tricky to mount straight (I consistently have to thread all four screws partially, then tighten them down making sure the panel stays straight). Oh, and the use of non-ferrous screws is horrible. Why oh why? But other than that? No complaints. This case will get used for many builds in the years to come, no doubt.

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Does that foam "shroud" on the graphics card have any noticeable effect on temps?
Sweet PSU setup as well!
I honestly have zero idea - it's carried over from the previous build it lived in, which was a hacked-together mess of the highest order and needed all the help it could get in the airflow guidance department. I never really considered removing it, especially as it kind of matches the Noctua foam on the other side :p Given that it covers maybe a 2mm gap at most, I doubt it does much.