Log FormD T1 meets MinisForum BD790i! (Build Log & benchmarks)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Genesis of my return to mini-ITX (07th April 2024)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello all!

As some of you might know I've finally put to retirement my beloved KI/Sliger Cerberus-X!
From all my cases, the Cerberus-X was the most loved ONE by my cats! (RIP to them😻😻😻)

During my last setup update, back to late 2021 (moving to Alder's Lake platform), I was literally mad of the Mini ITX motherboards line-up for Alder's Lake...and AM4 release did not help at all.
I put a link to my thoughts at that time here.

Basically my main problem was the total lack of support of low height 120mm cpu cooler, mostly blocked by M.2 SSDs & CPU power stages heatsinks. On top of that, you generally only have 1 M.2 SSD slot on the top face of the motherboard, and the second is located on the back...not ideal for SSD cooling, especially in sandwich mode.

1 year after (Nov 2022), I moved my remaining Mini ITX rig to ATX, using excellent N-ATX v2 case...no more Mini ITX at home.

Till...

I discovered the Minisforum BD770i motherboard...quite an UFO in mini-ITX world

Minisforum BD770i :
  • Mobile Zen 4 chip (R7 7745HX) : 8 cores / 16 threads, basic iGPU
  • 120mm CPU heatsink pre-installed
    • Height :
      • ~50mm with 15mm thick fan (no screws provided, use M2.5x14mm)
      • ~60mm with 25mm thick fan (screw M2.5x25mm provided)
    • Rear exhaust through I/O shield!
    • Liquid metal applied on CPU
  • Dual SSD slot (gen 5) with optimaloptional heatsink/cooler on top
  • Gen 5 PCIe 16x Slot
  • 2x so DIMM DDR5 (up to 5200MTS)
  • Intel Killer Wi-Fi 6E AX1675 / BT 5.3
  • Realtek 2.5Gbit ethernet

After further investigations, I decided to try its "younger" sister : Minisforum BD790i equipped with R9 7945HX (16 cores / 32 threads), just released by Feb 2024!

Once received, I tested it with this setup (please keep in mind, I did not have a precise Mini ITX rig in mind)
  • Motherboard : BD790i (R9 7945HX)
  • Cpu Fan : Noctua NFA12x25
  • RAM : GSkill 2x32Go 5200MTS
  • SSD : Samsung 990 Pro 4 To
  • PSU : My very noisy, but reliable, SX700 PT (fan should be faulty)

BD790i came with Bios 1.05 (BD770i and BD790i are sharing same bios apparently), here are main features tested :
  • PCIe bandwith : auto, Gen 3/4/5
  • iGPU : activated or not
  • Redimensionable BAR : activated or not
  • CPU max wattage : not sucessful (stick to auto, leading to 100W)
  • No profile can be saved (only one at a time)
  • No RAM setup (at 1st boot, MB is very slow, testing RAM). It is activating by default RAM speed parameters
  • Boot selector
  • Temperature monitor & fan management : it is working pretty fine (I stick to bios CPU fan curve even after installing "fan control")
Overall Bios is simple, effective & functionnal. Let's see future updates, especially for CPU firmware update.

To be continued...

PS : I tried to create Imgur Posts to compress image display, please let me know if you prefer post vs standard image.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Minisforum BD790i meets Sliger S620 (8th April 2024)

As stated above, I didn't have any specific plan for a Mini ITX rig.
After succesful trials outside a case, I decided to test it inside my Sliger S620, a case I appreciated but not loved :
  • Sliger S620 summary :
    • +++
      • Nice CPU air cooler compatibility (NH-D15...but way better with NH-U12A)
      • Great side grid (refined version of the cerberus-X) allowing dual 120mm/140mm fans
      • Flexible PSU mounting points
      • Best cooling airflow possible
      • Flexible top/bottom panels (you can invert them, put 2 tops for horizontal stands)
    • ---
      • Big GPU (RTX 3090 FE or RTX 4080 FE) assembly is cumbersome, to say the least
      • PSU assembly is cumbersome, I would assume it is only compatible with SFX PSU (not SFX-L), due to cable bumping into the GPU
      • Overall assembly is average/mediocre
      • Case is a bit bulky (but it is by design)
From start Minisforum BD790i with short heatsink is not ideal/meant for Sliger S620, but I tried rear intake.

Here are components used :
  • Cpu Fan : Noctua NFA12x25, as exhaust (rear intake)
  • SSD : Samsung 990 Pro 4 To
  • PSU : My very noisy, but reliable, SX700 PT (fan should be faulty)
  • GPU : "Allmighty" MSI GTX 1080 ti
  • Side fans : Dual Fractal Venturi HP-120 (excellent fans)

Playing with Sliger S620 with stands orientation (horizontal, vertical) allowed me to identify nice spot a new case localization on my desktop, behind my monitor (Samsung Neo G9)...however due to airflow constraint in vertical stand (exhaust hot air direct on the monitor, heating it up) or due to bulky horizontal stand, it became obvious I need to relocate my components inside another case...this time, one I truly loved...

Sliger S620 was useful but do not demonstrate enought advantage over my beloved Cerberus-X, and I was not alone to think that...

to be continued..:)

Reactions: rfarmer

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Minisforum BD790i meets Sliger SM550 (9th April 2024)

Combining Minisforum BD790i and Sliger S620 was a success and it deserved a follow-up.

I decided to pursue my investigation replacing Sliger S620 with my beloved Sliger SM550. I loved my experience as I tried many setups inside. I even thought to migrate my main rig (ie Cerberus-X) to SM550.
I retired it due to its incompability with passthrough GPU ie RTX 3090 FE.

Inside SM550 I'll use exactly the same components as S620, except exhaust fans. Indeed as I was unable to put back side panel (incompatibility with BD790i cpu fan placement) I don't really need exhaust fans..:D

Assembly went smoothly and here final result

I'm still amazed by the final look on my desktop!

With all those positive testings (approx 2 months) I have to test to retire my Cerberus-X, after 7 years of active service!

Once done, I was able to switch my "very noisy/reliable" Silverstone SX700PT by my Corsair S750.
Only last point to achieve : find a case, similar to SM550 in size, but fully compatible with my RTX 4080 FE, refusing any compromise on cooling & acoustics!

To be continued!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Finally Minisforum BD790i meets FormD T1 2.5 (10th April 2024)

As spoiled previously, the best suited case for my needs is the FormD T1 (v2.5) for simple reasons :
  • Volume : 9.95l with sandwich layout
  • Compatible with Minisforum BD790i & RTX 4080 FE (passthrough cooling)
  • Excellent build quality
  • Average complexity to assemble it

Here is my final setup, that is replacing my Cerberus-X (for now.. 😻 )
  • CPU Fan : Noctua NFA12x15, as intake (side intake, rear exhaust)
  • SSD : Samsung 990 Pro 4 To + ADATA SX8200 Pro 2 To
  • PSU : Corsair SF750 Platinum with Corsair standard Type-4 600W 12VHPWR adapter (cable mod adapter on its way...finally only optional)
  • GPU : Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
  • Top fans : Dual Noctua NFA12x25 as exhaust (equipped with grid, mandatory for cable management)
As my Cerberus-X setup, it is semi-passive (PSU, GPU, Exhaust fans are not spinning while in desktop mode/web browsing, etc...) thanks to "Fan Control" software.

Like Sliger SM550, final result on my desktop is impressive & effective!

Speaking of the Sliger SM550, I cannot resist to compare it with the FormD T1.
As the FormD T1 is modular, it is easier to upgrade by design, especially compared to Sliger SM550.
FormD T1 is already at revision 2.5. SM550 is unfortunately out of sale.

This is completing my journey back to mini-ITX world, started 3 months ago, around mid January 2024!

From now I'll complete my build log with benchmarks, and spoiler alerts, they are pretty interesting!

Stay Tuned!

PS : I cannot leave this thread without a word of my beloved Cerberus-X...this is just an "Au revoir"!

Reactions: dealda and rfarmer

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Minisforum BD790i & FormD T1 2.5 : Performance overview (March-June 2024)

It took me sometimes to test in details this combinaison Minisforum BD790i & FormD T1 2.5.

In terms of CPU, R9 7945HX was really a pleasant surprise, as long as you are taking habit of the hot temperature (85-90°C regurlaly) but this is how Zen 4 was built and it is working pretty well.

Cinebench 2024 : basically in the top 5 onf consumer cpus
  • R9 7945HX Multi Core : 1794 pts
  • R9 7945HX Single Core : 115 pts

Worst temperature (~90°C) are get with low threads count as CPU can use fully the 100W of TDP. In multi core, CPU temperature was surprisingly cool, clearly limited by TDP.

3DMark Timespy : Similar to my Core i5 12600K overcloked at 5.2Ghz (170w +)

CrystalDisk Mark : In benchmark, my Samsung 990Pro 4To seems ok

However we will discuss more about it later.

Gaming experience :
In terms of performance & thermals, it is working pretty well, even if I'm definitely in love of GPU back fan exhausting just in front of the PSU, itself exhausting hot air towards the bottom...where there are only tiny feet.

However, noise level reached is average, better than my SM550, but worst than my Cerberus-X, N-ATX or S620.
But overall it is acceptable experience.

Bugs found (Minisforum BD790i) :
  • From times to times, very long boot. This is to train RAM. Otherwise boot is really fast.
  • Rear USB 3.2 speed is limited or/and unconsistent. Comparison done versus my Core i5 12600K setup
  • CPU fan can never reach 0 rpm mode (some incompatibility with Fan Control software)
  • Rare computer global stutter (whatever load)
  • Where are bios update? None since dec 23
  • Samsung Magician is not working on this motherboard (services ran forever...Windows is not even able to close itself...hard reboot is mandatory)
  • Sometimes USB is not powering off completely (need to boot & stop the system again)

Global conclusion
Overall I like my experience since Jan 24 with the minisforum BD790i and the FormD T1. This combo is good for standard usage but not really for me.
This experience made me understand what I'm looking for as my main desktop setup : easy/fast access/maintenance, to try new setups, silence under low load, quiet under load.
I just realized that my Cerberus-X in horizontal stand is as good as on opened test bench : while plugged in, just open side panel and that's it!

Thus I'm moving back to my Cerberus-X as main setup, pushing again its refinement.
As for my living room setup, I'm still undecided between N-ATXv2 and FormD T1..:D

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I made some additional trials today, but encountered a SSD speed issues (as stated above inconsistent SDD speed transfer) : 300MB/s instead of 3000MB/s

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Minisforum BD790i & FormD T1 2.5 : Let's meet again! (29th June 2024)
During last weeks, I performed a lot of trials, either in terms of motherboard & cases :
From those experiments, I learned a lot..:)
  • Cerberus-X is heavy (compared to aluminum cases like N-ATX or FormD T1.. 😻 )
  • My Asus Crosshair Hero VI is showing its age (7 years old, 3 cpu, countless assembly/dissambly..:)). Zen 3 CPU are good, most of the times, but they are showing their limit in some games, like Dragon's Dogma II where framerate could be 50% lower than R9 7945HX in crowded arear (like capital of Vermund)
  • N-ATX v2 is top class in terms of GPU cooling and it is working well with Mini ITX motherboards (even if CPU cooler height is limited to 6cm due to power cable extension)
  • MinisForum BD790i is performing better than I tought. Former issues met were basically software ones, not hardware ones.
    • SSDs transfer rate : Linked to back up software I'm using : Syncback free. While using windows explorer, SSDs are blazing fast : Exchanges at 3Gb/s (max speed of my AData SX8200 Pro). BD790i is also exceptional within mini ITX motherboards world, as it is the only proposing 2xM.2 slots Gen 5
    • Slow boot time, sometimes : Definitely linked to DDR5 RAM training. Otherwise BD790i is really fast to boot (way faster than standard AM5 Motherboards). Thus it is also a win
    • Global Stutter, rare occurence : Experience rate have dropped significantly. I'm pretty sure, they are related to a software/driver rare issues (for a change)
    • Power usage : While underload (either mono or multi threaded), R9 7945HX is always targeting to use 100W of power. Finally it is maximising cpu frequency! In cpu bench, this BD790i is above standard R9 7945HX performance
    • CPU cooler noise : Unfortunately "Fan Control" is unable to control cpu fan of the BD790i (working fine on the "sys" fans), despite all bios parameters I tried. However I found THE important fan parameter inside this Minisforum BD790i bios : "Fan automatic mode". By default it is on "2", leading to agressive fan curve. By switching to "1", cpu fan curve is way smoother, even if it is leading to some CPU temperature increase (completely acceptable, especially on this Zen 4 generation) around 85°C-90°C underload (vs 80-85°C approx with curve "2"). While on low load, BD790i is now "Silent"
    • Samsung Magician : Well this issue remains. Samsung magician software is failing to analyse my setup...is it because there is no chipset? No clue. As backup, I'll keep my Cerberus-X ready in order to check/update SSD firmware. Hopefully I'm able to check Samsung SSD firmware version using AData SSD Toolbox.

What is the main outcome of those experiments? Let's build again inside the FormD T1!

SETUP
  • RAM : Crucial GSkill 2x32Go 5200MTS
  • SSD : Samsung 990 Pro 4 To (slot 0) + ADATA SX8200 Pro 2 To (slot 1)
  • PSU : Brand New Corsair SF750 Platinum with cable mod 600W (3xType 4 used) 40cm 12VHPWR adapter
  • GPU : Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
  • Top fans : Dual Noctua NFA12x25 as exhaust (equipped with Noctua 5mm spacer, Noctua NA-IS1-12 chromax.black)

Compared to my first build, target was to smooth all asssembly operations, especially GPU, ie RTX 4080 FE, installation & cable management.
  • STEP 0 : Starting point
    • While dissambly FormD T1 (and any other case), I'm leaving all screws in position. Thus my starting point is a empty case (no psu, no MB & no GPU) but the whole case is built
  • STEP 1 : Mounting GPU, ie RTX 4080 FE
    • During my first assembly, assembly the GPU was the most difficult step. Handling manual is BS, and basically I finished by building the case around the GPU...pretty dull & cumbersome.
    • Now I'm super happy as I found an easy way to assemble it (assuming no MB, no PSU assembled in the case)
    • Simply remove top / Middle bar and assembly gently the GPU :
  • STEP 2 : Prepare the motherboard
    • For this build I put the 2 same SSDs, but I've added the BD790i SSD heatsink, without its fan.
    • I've also pre plugged PSU cable on the motherboard
    • Last point : CPU cooler fan
  • STEP 3 : Mounting Motherboard
    • I connected powerbutton, but it can wait (I redone it completely later on)
    • Minisforum is very well suited for the FormD T1n with nice gap between the fan & side panel :
  • STEP 4 : Mounting PSU
    • Connect power cables outside the case (be careful of their orientation)
    • Assemble the PSU, put some ties (I loved the one you roll) : final cable management is really clean!
    • I put power button wire around Type 4 connector..😻
  • STEP 5 : Top exhaust fans assembly
    • Compared to first build, I used bracket notches to position my fans & to align the 2xbrackets easily.
    • Do not overtight screws! (easy to say, but fan bracket remains pretty fragile) Hope fully bracket is not broken, but clearly damaged
    • I also use some Noctua spacers (5mm). Less noise compared to fan grids
    • I moved top fan wires through the middle
  • STEP 6 : Time to power up (with only bottom panel installed)
    • I realized that I truly loved Cerberus-X capacity to remove panels without disconnecting every cable. FormD T1 is capable of the same (unlike N-ATX)
    • Thus I changed FormD T1 location, to be more accessible.
  • STEP 7 : Final assembly
    • After several hours of testings/trials, it is time to close the FormD T1
    • As stated it was done without disconnecting cables (only switching it off, due to fan proximity of the side panels)

It took me approx 6 months to finalize this build. My love of the Cerberus-X is still present, but my feelings about FormD T1 + Minisforum BD790i have improved a lot.
This setup will remain my main one for the months to come. I also decided to put on hold any cpu/mb upgrade (Zen 5? X870?) as I anticipated I won't need those additional features anytime soon.

Also it is still a fragile balance as I didn't change my mind about standard mini ITX motherboards (at best mediocre & expensive), 92mm small cpu cooler (too noisy) & watercooling (low load noise, maintenance, reliability, cost). However combinaison ot the FormD T1 & the minisforum BD790i is working pretty well for me.

Anyway, Cerberus-X will still there...😻

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Nice clean build, should serve you well. Glad you figured out the SSD transfer rate and glad to see it wasn't a hardware issue, they would have potentially been a deal breaker on that platform.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Nice clean build, should serve you well. Glad you figured out the SSD transfer rate and glad to see it wasn't a hardware issue, they would have potentially been a deal breaker on that platform.
I fully agree. Those software issues were a plague, since I'm testing the BD790i.

At first there was Rog Clavis (usb c DAC) firmware update that we producing some "tic" parasite noise. On my previous setups I updated through armoured crate years ago and leave it like that. While installing BD790i I applied all updates possible...and the parasites appeared. Hopefully Asus corrected it 1 month after

Meanwhile I'm forced to speed up other setups as I've one SDD or its external case that just failed. It is way easier to debug through ATX platform. Even If I could have handle it through the BD790i, by activating the iGPU, disconnecting the PCIe riser and plugging my SSD in the main PCIe slot.

xebuzer0

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 3, 2024
Hello!

I've already seen your post (even I hasn't read everything in the reply posts), but I've already read something that you wrote something about my interest, so I want to as: this motherboard is able to support ReBAR?

I'm interested in buying this motherboard (well, not this model, but the bd790i), but I want be pretty sure that I can buy an Intel ARC A770 GPU and that I won't have troubles paring the GPU because this equipment doesn't support Redimensionable BAR, this because I've seen that also an Intel Xeon of 10 years ago support limited ReBAR but it doesn't work as it should, so I don't want run into this kind of troubles.

I hope you can help me to clear this doubt. Thanks in advance!

BigTobacco

What's an ITX?
New User
Jul 5, 2024
Hi! I love this build, and it's very similar to something I'm trying to put together at the moment. I can't find much information online about the clearance/height of the CPU heatsink with a fan installed. I was considering getting this board and putting it into the FormD T1 v2.1 just like in this build, but I have recently become interested in getting a much smaller, more portable case such as the Velka 7. This case claims to support 48mm tall CPU coolers, and you say that with a slim fan the cooler is ~50mm. Do you have a more accurate measurement? I'd really love to be able to squeeze this board into an even smaller form factor!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Hi! I love this build, and it's very similar to something I'm trying to put together at the moment. I can't find much information online about the clearance/height of the CPU heatsink with a fan installed. I was considering getting this board and putting it into the FormD T1 v2.1 just like in this build, but I have recently become interested in getting a much smaller, more portable case such as the Velka 7. This case claims to support 48mm tall CPU coolers, and you say that with a slim fan the cooler is ~50mm. Do you have a more accurate measurement? I'd really love to be able to squeeze this board into an even smaller form factor!
well, well here what I have as information.

Heatsink height is 37mm...however reference point is lower than traditional motherboard with CPU socket & IHS...gap is a couple of mm...how much exactly I can't say.

Anyway if 48mm is max height you are looking for, this BD770i/790i could potentially work (maybe adding some offset on the panels) but you will face noise due to turbulence I suppose.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Minisforum BD790i & FormD T1 2.5 : Gen 4 SSD combo & one miracle! (06th July 2024)

Well, finally I decided to regroup all my gen4 SSDs on the the BD790i.
  • WD SN850X 2to (System) (no customed partitions)
  • Samsung 990 Pro 4to (others & storage) (no customed partitions)
I decided to make a completely new & clean windows 11 install, using only the WD SN850X connected to the motherboard.

Once windows 11 installation completed, I decided to move to AMD drivers, but using only the automatic tool from AMD (previously I selected either mobile or desktop chipset drivers).
For information it is already the 3rd windows 11 install on the BD790i..😻

Then the miracle happens....Samsung Magician worked!

I don't know why Samsung Magician decided to work :
  • No partition?
  • Good AMD chipsets drivers?
No Clue...:)

Now there is only one remaining issue on this BD790i : rare global stuttering.

What about transfer speed between the 2 SSDs?
Well it depends on the SSD cache status :
  • Max sustained speed observed : ~5.04Go/s (transfering 9Go file in less than 2 secs...😻)

• But it could also be this transfer speed : Peak 5Go/s for half a sec then move down to 400Mo/s ...but I suspect Syncbackfree to influence this behaviour..:D

Conclusion :
  • Those 2xm.2 Gen 5 slots on the BD790i are directly & separately connected to the CPU, impressive...and pretty exclusive to the BD770i/BD790i in the mini-ITX motherboards world (at best you have 1 gen5 & 1+ gen4). To have several gen 5 m.2, you need to move to higher end of ATX motherboards.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Minisforum BD790i & FormD T1 2.5 : It is only a Good-bye (21th July 2024)

What is happening?
Well I've decided to hand over, both BD790i & FormD T1 to one of my family member that would need it more than me. (compact size is a must).
This is only an "Au revoir" as my main setup is now, again, my "tired" Asus Crosshair Hero VI + R7 5800X inside my Cerberus-X. Of course, this will create others endless headaches how to upgrade my setup (mini ITX? FormD T1? AMD Zen 5 3D? Intel Arrow lake-S?)

Here are the components I used :
  • RAM : Crucial GSkill 2x32Go 5200MTS
  • SSD : ADATA SX8200 Pro 2 To (slot 1)
  • PSU : 2021 Corsair SF750 Platinum with its standard cable
  • GPU : MSI GTX 1080 Ti
  • Top fans : Dual Fractal Design Venturi HP-12, as exhaust
Even during this build, I learned (or it reminded me) some stuffs :
  • PSU choice for FormD T1 :
    • To be clear, the FormD T1 was designed with Corsair SFX PSU in mind. I tried, at first, to plug mu Silverstonetek SX800 LTI...but it was a failure as power extension cable was blocked by the front panel :
  • Corsair SFX Gold version back from 2016 :
    • My experience with Corsair SFX PSUs was hard back to 2016 (why I moved to Silverstonetek later on). Back to these days, I've lost 2x SF600 Gold PSU. But I didn't remembered their noise...After my trial with the SX800, I tried my Corsair SF450 Gold from 2016...even with only 250w of power consumption, it was simply screaming!
    • On top of that, this SF450 (2016) is coming very stiff cable (even Silverstone seems smoother), and cable management was painful..Fan grid definitely mandatory
  • Conclusion on PSU : I decided to put back my Corsair SF750 Platinum.

• GPU with the FormD T1 :
    • As stated I used again my GTX 1080Ti, that is a 2.5x slot card.
    • I left the FormD T1 in the 3x Slots setup
    • Very positive effect : FormD T1 was very quiet (quieter than the RTX4080, due to the absence of turbulence), even under 250W load.

At the end, I'm very pleased with this setup : Nice, clean, decently powerful & (very) quiet!

Now, questions are :
  • The FormD T1 remains a really versatile mini ITX case. I'll most probably another one if I chose mini ITX form factor. (Id Cooling IS-47-XT is already here)
  • What about my SF750 Platinum? Well a replacement (upgrade) unit is already on its way
  • Was this setup an excuse to force an upgrade on my personal upgrade? Well, yes and no. No as this new setup is supposed to use RPCS3 (fan of AVX512 for the heavier titles), thus BD790i is useful on this point. Yes, knowing myself I won't resist for AM5/Arrow lake upgrade...especially if the motherboards are up to the challenges!