Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

dream3

Average Stuffer
Apr 5, 2019
I dont get it. The configuration I pre-ordered is sold out..I thought I had a spot guaranteed? cmon guys

@Wahaha360 whats up? Why does the email says I was qualified for early access if I cant purchase the unit I filled and paid for in the IC?

Reactions: tekm

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
There's been a few questions about Titanium IC and what those people should do (Wait or use it now?)
If so, I'd encourage you to take a look at the FAQ I posted to reddit. Lots of things were confirmed by W360 on discord.
Here's one of the Qs around Titanium that was confirmed by W360.

Q: My IC was for something other than Black SW (like Titanium SW or Ref), and I got an email. What should I do?
  • A: If you want something other than Black SW, do not buy a case now, as that would use up your IC priority. Instead, wait for emails specific to the version of the case you had in your IC to be sent out when they are ready. If you are okay with Black SW, then go ahead and buy a case now.
  • A: In other words, if you selected something that was a Titanium or Reference SKU, wait for the next IC emails.

element72

Average Stuffer
Oct 7, 2018
How can I get the black sandwich + aluminum mesh with 4.0 riser? Can I wait until next week with IC or do I have to buy literally today? Can we please get a response before it's potentially too late for whatever reason? @Wahaha360 It would really suck if we waited all this time to be told you have to buy it with this specific part if you want the case. Why not update everything to aluminum. Why is there a steel option?
I'm going to reply to my own post so others can see a solution. The website was updated with the aluminum + 4.0 riser. You can successfully order it and have the aluminum + 3.0 riser canceled if you contact support. There is also an option to upgrade to 4.0 riser, separately. However, the website is subject to change at any time as it has been going through frequent updates to satisfy the concerns of priority customers. I don't know if you can still order aluminum + 4.0 riser, or if you have to upgrade separately. Try to act as soon as possible. They are also blacklisting scalpers or multiple orders and moving people up in the chain for shipment/orders.

ScottSimply

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 15, 2021
This is an FAQ posted by Navic on the subreddit, would be helpful for people here as well I'm sure.
Click the link for an up-to-date version, as things can still change. Below is the text as it is at time of posting:

In this post, I will constantly update this post with the most up-to-date information from W360. Keep in mind I don't actually work for FormD, so I don't have all the answers. I wish I did, but I don't. If you have a question that isn't in this post, ask below.

FAQ:​

Q: My IC was for something other than Black SW, and I got an email. What should I do?
  • A: If you want something other than Black SW, do not buy a case now, as that would use up your IC priority. Instead, wait for emails specific to the version of the case you had for your IC to be sent out when they are ready. If you are okay with Black SW, then go ahead and buy a case now.
  • A: In other words, if you selected something that was a Titanium or Reference SKU, wait for the next IC emails.
Q: If I chose Black SW for my Interest Check, but want to wait for Titanium/Ref (or want a different SKU than what is available on the site right now), can I wait for the next round of IC emails?
  • A: No. If you chose Black SW for your IC, this is the only time you can use your IC priority to buy a case.
Q: The configuration I want is out of stock on the site, even with my IC priority. What should I do?
  • A: Right now, I don't know. I would wait for the next IC emails to be sent out, but I will try to get an answer for this.
Q: Is Titanium canceled?
  • A: Not at this moment, but it is slightly up in the air due to factories not wanting to, or being unable to color match Titanium. However, I (Navic) am fairly confident that we will see a Titanium color come out eventually, but of course it's not 100% guaranteed at this moment.
Q: So if Titanium ends up being canceled, what do I do with my IC priority? Will I be sent an email if I don't buy right now?
  • A: I do not know. I would assume that if Titanium is canceled, you will be sent an email and given the option to buy a different color of the case.
Q: When can we expect Titanium or Reference cases to become available?
  • A: Unknown right now. The best info we have regarding this is that Titanium Reference cases might be available, at the earliest, June, but that is not a guarantee.
Q: The price for the 3.0 riser version of the case went up $20, what gives?
  • A: It is not an apples-to-apples comparison - the price of the IC is shipping from the US warehouse. The early access price is for shipping from China. IIRC, we believed most people buying PCIe 3.0 Riser wanted the lowest price, so the pricing was based on steel mesh, NOT aluminum mesh (which cost several times more to make). T1 V2 Aluminum Mesh and PCIe. 3.0 was not even an option. We only added it now because people reached out asking for it. The same SKU shipping from China is cheaper. However, after shipping this SKU to the US warehouse, the price will be higher to account for the transit. That's how you get the higher price shipping from the US warehouse.
Q: What are the differences between Aluminum Mesh and Steel Mesh?
  • A: Mainly material finish, Steel is painted, while Aluminum is anodized. They should perform the same. Aluminum Mesh has a better fit compared to Steel Mesh.
Q: My country was on the IC, but now it's not on the list for actual orders. What happened?
Q: Everyone else has their email, where is mine?
Q: I didn't put in my IC order number when placing an actual order / I don't remember my IC order number and can't find the IC confirmation email. What do I do?
Q: I input the wrong address, or input something else wrong when placing an order. What do I do?
Q: I selected shipping from a NA or EU warehouse, what happened to that?
  • A: Inventory won't reach those warehouses for a few months, air shipping from China is the only option right now.
Q: I want Aluminum Mesh, but it is sold out. What should I do?
  • A: Aluminum mesh will be sold separately later down the line. Steel mesh is still high quality, so it's not a bad choice to go with.
  • A: You might also be able to wait for the next round of IC orders. However, if you chose Black SW, this might be the only time you will get an email, so you might not get future IC emails, even if you don't buy now. This is another thing that I'm not sure on, so this point is speculative.
Q: Why does it say "with PCIe 3.0 Riser or NO riser"? Does that mean we might not get a riser?
  • A: No, you will be sent a 3.0 riser if you select this option. The reason is says "or NO riser" is because some people were asking if they could buy the case without the riser, but that wouldn't make it cheaper so there was no point to FormD making another SKU and complicating things further.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

Can you tell us about the unexpected price increase? I thought IC locks-in the price. Thanks. @Wahaha360

I also responded on r/FormD, but here is the answer also.

It is not an apples-to-apples comparison - the price of the IC is shipping from the US warehouse. The early access price is for shipping from China.

IIRC, we believed most people buying PCIe 3.0 Riser wanted the lowest price, so the pricing was based on steel mesh, NOT aluminum mesh (which cost several times more to make). T1 V2 Aluminum Mesh and PCIe. 3.0 was not even an option. We only added it now because people reached out asking for it.

The same SKU shipping from China is cheaper. However, after shipping this SKU to the US warehouse, the price will be higher to account for the transit. That's how you get the higher price shipping from the US warehouse.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Does it mean fans will be protruding from the top of the case? Or the bottom will be uncovered?
I, personally, don't like it. If it uses extenders - yes. In order to rather offset the panel, instead of removing it altogether.

Also, how does this change work with the expected shipments? Does it mean that the case will undergo further development after the first units are shipped? V2, V2.1, V2.2, etc?

Generally - what is the mindset? Because as I mentioned before, I signed for the IC, because I like the idea of the vertical case. Doing post shipment changes might results in something, which the rest of use did not sign up for (like, dropping the stand) or defacto making a better case out of V2.2 and leaving the rest of us with "less better" case.

We don't have updates planned. What you see In the post is compatible with V2.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
@Wahaha360 Regarding tomorrow's sales.

First of all, congratulations. Hope you sell'em all. I have a question about the shopping process that it's freaking me out.
Do we need to log in to confirm the order?
I have all the emails the shop sent me during the IC. Account activation and the order. Back that day, I was in panic completing the IC and now I can't remember the password. I don't even remember introducing any passwords (I have all mine stored in a password manager but this one).
Will you enable the "remember"/"recover" password link on the shop?
No need, we audit the email and notes for the new orders.

As long as your email is in our record, you don't need to have an account.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I dont mind waiting another few months for titanium, but if it turns out that titanium is never going to happen will those who IC titanium have an opportunity in the future to switch to black? Or is it now or never?

I'm also wondering the same thing - will we be able to switch to black and retain IC pricing in the coming months if titanium is cancelled / the price increases / we decide not to wait any longer?

I understand that manufacturing and supply costs are uncertain, but it would feel unfair if we wait for titanium and end up paying the increased price amount for a black case in 3-6 months time.

I'll 3rd this. This really needs clarification. I could wait for Titanium if we keep the priority and will be emailed in same manner as the Black IC SW users are getting now. Also in case Titanium got cancelled, that we keep the priority to change to other available colors.

I also wouldn't want an open top / bottom, if it's preparatory. Could be an additional add on / option on purchase.

If one currently has an IC for Reference Design, can one attempt to purchase the Sandwich normally with the general website launch and still retain the IC and priority for when the Reference eventually launches? I wouldn't want to get the Sandwich if it meant sacrificing getting the Reference and retaining priority.

Considering the unknown timeframe for the Reference, I would still like a Sandwich if immediately availabe as better than nothing and eventually had hoped to buy the conversion kit to go from Reference to Sandwich down the line. I just still wouldn't want to give up waiting on the Reference.

I completely understand if it's the case of having to give up Reference IC priority, although, if not, I suppose it may be OK and still giving everyone that wants the case a fair shot considering this would just be competing with the entire general population in the general website launch and people who really want the Sandwhich right away would have completed an IC or will email customer support about switching their Reference IC priority over to Sandwich as instructed.

I understand your concerns and empathize. I have also experienced many delays backing crowdfunding and mechKB projects.

I don't have the answer right now. Until we finalize the new Titanium prototype, we don't have an accurate price or availability. So, I don't want to promise more things and have it blow up again.

When we did the IC, we were not expecting more covid lockdowns, inflation, and a war. So I'm just going to give updates when we have news.

For the REF, we are in the process of setting up, just not sure which will happen sooner, Titanium or Ref, but both will be made. We are constantly reminded that the IC prices are locked in, so we will update you once we have news.

Last edited:

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I’m iffy on the idea, especially when thinking about wanting to make use of the vertical stand. I don’t think it would be as aesthetically pleasing with one side open like that imo. Looks are subjective, though… Performance-wise it should be beneficial, and added compatibility is always welcome… I’d say a poll would be helpful if it’s something you’re seriously thinking about.

Congrats on getting the T1 V2 consumer ready! I can only imagine the logistical nightmare it’s been with this lovely pandemic and Putin’s nonsense. I am curious what specifically has kept the reference model from launching, though. In theory, it shouldn’t have as many components to source like the sandwich does, so I wonder… I’ll patiently wait for it, but I’m curious nonetheless. :)

REF did NOT meet MOQ, so we are trying to find another way.

Our supplier started to prioritize higher MOQ orders with new lockdown, and this is true throughout the entire supply chain.

This kind of environment is very disruptive for low-volume projects like ours.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Is there an answer to this at all? I swear I'm not in the market for the SW version, I'm just trying to get my payment method in order so I don't miss the Ref version when it eventually drops.

The supported payment options are available at checkout. It's whatever our platform, shopify offers to us.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I did not see this - on the IC I marked that I want shipping from Europe later (June, but likely that will slip). If I understand correctly, current stock will be shipped to people who opted for ealier shipping from Asia, right? So people with IC for Europe shipping will not be getting E-Mails?
As shipping from elsewhere than Europe means customs.

@Wahaha360 - can you please clarify import and customs for Europe?

Well, I guess I had wrong expectations, I guess.
I though that the price reflects at least VAT, based on the location of shipping, I don't remember what was the information during the order.

In such case, for me that will be VAT and maybe import fee. Can you please let me know what will be on the shipping documents? I have different import taxes for different materials and types of products and no VAT is charged below 160USD (for me the price was 256USD). Not trying to cheat the system, I just want to understand what will be the final cost.

And one more thing - I know I've asked it before and maybe I am bitter now, but the vertical stand is part of the promotion materials, so there must be more information for it. Interchangeable front panels are only discussed in the forum, so no information for them is good, but the stand is on the brochure.

... Or I am just on the wrong boat. People here seem not to care at all for the price and some uncertainties. I understand that this is the niche of the niche, but still ...

After telling us shipping from within the EU would be cheaper I opted for this choice in the interest check knowing I would get the case later.
Now you're telling me it's going to be a higher priced case because of VAT and the total will result to being higher AND having it later.
And because of this choice will prob be E-mailed last as well.
Are you kidding me right now?

Yeah kinda disappointing, guess you can make up stuff along the way when your product sells like hot cakes.

Yes, of course, I don't argue.
The only thing I can argue is that the "Ship from Europe" was never accompanied with "you price will increase due to VAT". It is like buying from Aliexpress and you choose China warehouse or Poland warehouse. You know that from Poland you don't get to pay VAT and import (whether these were backed in the price or not at the time of purchase is not my concern, as long as I pay a price I like). I liked the price at IC with shipping from Europe. I don't like it know.

I will wait to see what will happen with "Ship from Europe to me starting May 2022 at a lower shipping price", which is what I choose. Looking at the wind direction, might not ever happen :)

I understand your frustration with shipping from EU options, but we started the IC in November 2021, we were not expecting more lockdowns, record inflation, and a war at the same time.

@Tuscany, the Vertical Stand will be made. I didn't mention it because then we will get flooded with questions with no answers atm.

@Tuscany, the IC price for shipping *from the EU includes VAT. However, the price for getting products to the EU has changed significantly. So the final product price will vary. We know the IC guys have a locked price. So we are trying to figure something out.

@FiftyFifty, I get it. If I was in your shoes, I prob have worse thoughts about the project.

We haven't given up on shipping from Europe, IC prices, and releasing the accessories. If we mess it up when the time comes, I'm sure you guys will give us plenty of stick for it, which is what we deserve if true.

Until that happens, let's wait and see.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Yes, and interestingly enough, all of a sudden, it does not ship to my country. Which is the same country I choose for the IC.
Anyways, seems like quite a high ball for me, as it seems.
When I factor in the USD exchange rate , shipping, VAT and import tax (with the latter two being kinda "surprise", as discussed already) I cannot justify it.

I was looking for a side upgrade from my SM550 to be able to do customer loop or AIO, but maybe next time.

Thank you. In that case I might ship to a friend in the US so I dont get hit with gigantic corruption tax out of the blue lol

Can you please confirm the information that US addresses DO NOT have to pay import taxes at all?

Our air shipping company told us some countries are not possible atm.

If you email customer service, depending on the country, it might be possible later.

I don't know enough to comment. Covid lockdown and war have impacted shipping.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
2- What are the advantages of aluminum side mesh over steel? It seems to me that steel is able to filter dust more than aluminum as the holes are smaller.

Sorry I can't help with the first question.
Second question though, aluminium is anodised whereas steel is powder coated. W360 has said "Aluminum Mesh Panels SHOCKINGLY good compare to the older Steel Mesh". W360 confirmed on the discord today that steel and aluminium have same hole size/hole spacing.

Aluminum feels more premium, but maybe some people don't care enough about it to pay the extra.

Most speakers use steel mesh, so it's what people are used to. Thick aluminum mesh is not done due to cost reasons, not even for speakers, it's a novelty for the people that really want it.

The Aluminum Mesh and Steel Mesh are near-identical for cooling and dust filtering.

They cannot be the extract same because the steel mesh has to be painted, and paint in general has to be thicker than the anodizing on the aluminum. Anyways the holes are within 1mm of each other. There is no visual difference in density unless you really look for it.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
How can I get the black sandwich + aluminum mesh with 4.0 riser? Can I wait until next week with IC or do I have to buy literally today? Can we please get a response before it's potentially too late for whatever reason? @Wahaha360 It would really suck if we waited all this time to be told you have to buy it with this specific part if you want the case. Why not update everything to aluminum. Why is there a steel option?

I didn't even notice that choosing aluminum side panels forced a 3.0 riser... that's weird. I guess I'll stick with that order unless w360 can advise of an easy way to change the order to a 4.0 riser??
I dont get it. The configuration I pre-ordered is sold out..I thought I had a spot guaranteed? cmon guys

@Wahaha360 whats up? Why does the email says I was qualified for early access if I cant purchase the unit I filled and paid for in the IC?

That's because Alu + 4.0 is sold out.

That's pretty frustrating given how early I interest checked...ah well. I'll survive lol.

That's pretty frustrating given how early I interest checked...ah well. I'll survive lol.

There's been a few questions about Titanium IC and what those people should do (Wait or use it now?)
If so, I'd encourage you to take a look at the FAQ I posted to reddit. Lots of things were confirmed by W360 on discord.
Here's one of the Qs around Titanium that was confirmed by W360.

Q: My IC was for something other than Black SW (like Titanium SW or Ref), and I got an email. What should I do?
  • A: If you want something other than Black SW, do not buy a case now, as that would use up your IC priority. Instead, wait for emails specific to the version of the case you had in your IC to be sent out when they are ready. If you are okay with Black SW, then go ahead and buy a case now.

We only combined the Aluminum Mesh with PCIe 3.0 because some people wanted a lower price.

Anyways, we reduced the quantities for equivalent SKU with PCIe 3.0, so more people can get the PCIe 4.0 with Aluminum Mesh.

Now that there is more T1 V2 Aluminum Mesh with PCIe 4.0 for Early Access, you guys should be able to get one. That being said, shipping time is different. We need time to get more PCIe 4.0 risers, so the shipping date can't be bumped up right away.

Reactions: JDuval and Talyrius

Exist50

Trash Compacter
Feb 25, 2021
I also responded on r/FormD, but here is the answer also.

It is not an apples-to-apples comparison - the price of the IC is shipping from the US warehouse. The early access price is for shipping from China.

IIRC, we believed most people buying PCIe 3.0 Riser wanted the lowest price, so the pricing was based on steel mesh, NOT aluminum mesh (which cost several times more to make). T1 V2 Aluminum Mesh and PCIe. 3.0 was not even an option. We only added it now because people reached out asking for it.

The same SKU shipping from China is cheaper. However, after shipping this SKU to the US warehouse, the price will be higher to account for the transit. That's how you get the higher price shipping from the US warehouse.
You might want to reword this, because it's confusing as-is. Are you saying that the price is higher because instead of shipping from the US warehouse, it's shipping from China? And that if you later get stock in the US warehouse, pricing will accurately reflect the IC price?

Reactions: Talyrius

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
I understand your frustration with shipping from EU options, but we started the IC in November 2021, we were not expecting more lockdowns, record inflation, and a war at the same time.

@Tuscany, the Vertical Stand will be made. I didn't mention it because then we will get flooded with questions with no answers atm.

@Tuscany, the IC price for shipping *from the EU includes VAT. However, the price for getting products to the EU has changed significantly. So the final product price will vary. We know the IC guys have a locked price. So we are trying to figure something out.

@FiftyFifty, I get it. If I was in your shoes, I prob have worse thoughts about the project.

We haven't given up on shipping from Europe, IC prices, and releasing the accessories. If we mess it up when the time comes, I'm sure you guys will give us plenty of stick for it, which is what we deserve if true.

Until that happens, let's wait and see.

@Wahaha360 - thank you for taking your time to answer individual queries! As I said - I want the case and I want the stand and I am not giving up on it.
And your post actually sounds encouraging!

I do have IC and I did mark shipping from Europe. However I still got the early access invitation yesterday. I will keep an eye on the thread here, but will you be resending IC invitation to people who marked shipping from Europe when stock is available in EU? I IC'ed for black+sandwich+alu+4.0pci.

JDuval

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 8, 2020
Now that there is more T1 V2 Aluminum Mesh with PCIe 4.0 for Early Access, you guys should be able to get one. That being said, shipping time is different. We need time to get more PCIe 4.0 risers, so the shipping date can't be bumped up right away.

Thanks for the update on this. I emailed support requesting to change my order to alu+pcie 4.0.
Is that the best way to go about it, or should I place a new order and request to cancel the 3.0 order?

Ultimately I may keep the 3.0 order but want to make sure I do things properly if I do switch.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
REF did NOT meet MOQ, so we are trying to find another way.

Our supplier started to prioritize higher MOQ orders with new lockdown, and this is true throughout the entire supply chain.

This kind of environment is very disruptive for low-volume projects like ours.
Ahh that makes total sense. I’m shocked the reference model didn’t attract more interest with the loss of the Ncase M1 as an option. Either way, thanks for taking the time to reply, and I look forward to more updates as they roll in. :)

• Sad
Reactions: Kapsi