Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

Truth

Formerly TutorialIsland
Mar 19, 2020
Do your thing, whatever works for you
Thanks man, and again I would easily have considered this option a year or more ago but I just don't personally feel necessity for a full backpack due to it generally fitting in any backpack that size. I, as we all do with sff in general lol, tend to prefer paying for compactness.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
You know what I've been wondering during quarantine? If it's possible to fit 3x full size fans + radiator and still close the case... Stay tuned

So I've run into a couple of problems. The absolute limit of clearance with a tx240 is 22.2 mm for fans. With the screws I'm using, plus the Phanteks Halo I'm at 23.2 mm. The top panel requires some gentle pressure to close but there is no apparent bulging like this. I only use 4 screws total for the 2 fans to put less pressure on the top panel. With V1.1, this should be easier as screws can be inserted through the holes in the panel.

The 120mm fans I have on hand (Vardar) are 26mm thick and there is no way they fit with a close panel...I wish they were closer to 25mm and I could attempt sanding them down for the bit more clearance I need...

To be continued!

iwe

Caliper Novice
Feb 11, 2020
Oh wow Distro Plate, this just became hot listed. Any way to fit 3x 120mm rads? even with 20mm height ?

pwnedundies

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2019
@fabio what's your take on noise levels/signature between the d5, ddc, and dc-lt? I've always been skeptical about water cooling because I don't want any idle noise--the only personal experience I have is a H60 AIO. it wasn't an offensive amount of sound, but certainly a noticeable buzz/whine that I wouldn't want sitting on my desk. Can each of the pumps you've tried be inaudible in your environment below a certain pump speed?

would it be reasonable for me to get a pump and some length of tubing to make a "loop" just to see what it sounds like? I assuming adding the rad/blocks wouldn't change the noise at all (beyond possibly needing to increase pump speed to compensate)
I can't specifically speak to the sound of any d5 or ddc pump but I have owned the h60 and I'm currently using the alphacool dc-lt ultra low noise (same as the lt240) and I have it set currently to a point where I can't hear it at idle. This is a cautionary tale because I don't have a lot of experience and I'm not yet sure what the longevity of any of it will be. So I have this pump currently running a 280mm rad with a full custom loop on a 2070 super and r5 3600 and the eisstation dc-lt 80 (the bigger brother to @fabio dc-lt 40) which has a small res. I'm going to try to keep this info to purely the pump and preface with I'm ridiculously sensitive to noise.

So this pump can be ran at 12v (stock), 9v or 7v. So at stock voltage and the pump running 100% it sounds okay. It's more of a louder deep hum compared to the high pitch of the h60. Probably around the same sound level since they run 100%. I'm using the Strix x570i and it allows me, using DC mode, to drop the pump to 60% duty which I did. I set this for my idle temps and it's definitely quieter but it changes the frequency of the noise to be a higher pitch sound kinda like the h60 but quieter. I could hear it at idle if there weren't any other sounds. Which there tends to not be because the noctua 140mm fans are insanely quiet. It's not bad at all though. Most of the time you probably won't notice it.

Now, this is the part where I'm not sure if I should be doing it or not. So I got a 12v to 7v phoyba adapter to hard limit the voltage down. This is safe to do per alphacool's site. However, with the 7v adapter on you can still limit it on the motherboard. So at idle it is 100% quiet at 7v and 60% duty. Again not sure if I really should be doing this but temps are fine. GPU in the 30s and CPU bounces in the 30s-40s like it did before the 7v adapter. Now I have it set to run at 100% when it hits 49c because it was causing the GPU to get a litter warmer since I haven't figured out how to make the pump respond to the coolant instead of the CPU, which is fine because at idle it doesn't hit this and at load without it the GPU was getting warmer than I wanted. Overall temps are up 10c on the GPU and 5c on average with the 7v adapter under load.

So summary is for me idle noise with the 7v adapter is great. I honestly can't hear it. Even set to 100% it sounds better with it than 60% duty on 12v. However, there is a trade off of temps. I'm looking at low 70s on gpu under load and mid to low 60s on gpu during gaming and heavy CPU loads max out at 70c all on 7v. The 12v sees a max of mid 50s to low low 60s on both GPU and CPU while gaming and benchmarking, and during heavy CPU load max 66. Overall most people will have zero issue with the 12v set even at 100% but it is noticeable. Remember this isn't scientific stuff but I did do my best to monitor everything the same way. I don't have a accurate way to measure the decibels but I'm doing the perceived noise. I also don't recommend doing a double limit (I'm assuming the voltage is being limited twice) unless someone else can say it is 100% fine. I would recommend the 7v over stock if you are okay with the temps as my personal preference.

EDIT: Okay so the Strix mobo isn't monitoring or isn't reporting the same CPU temps that MSI Afterburner or HWInfo are. It must be looking at at different temp from the CPU. So my temps on the 7v were not with the pump actually running full 100%. Retesting I can't hear the pump at 7v 100% with any noise at all and my temps are much closer to the 12v temps. Maybe 3c higher on each during gaming loads. I will keep testing.

Last edited:

Cronos83

Average Stuffer
Mar 13, 2020
I'm currently using the alphacool dc-lt ultra low noise (same as the lt240)

What top or reservoir are you using it with?
The DC-LT 2600 needs top/Res if I'm not mistaking...
I still don't really know what combination fits inside the T1, cause I got confused over all that builds @fabio did ?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I can't specifically speak to the sound of any d5 or ddc pump but I have owned the h60 and I'm currently using the alphacool dc-lt ultra low noise (same as the lt240) and I have it set currently to a point where I can't hear it at idle. This is a cautionary tale because I don't have a lot of experience and I'm not yet sure what the longevity of any of it will be. So I have this pump currently running a 280mm rad with a full custom loop on a 2070 super and r5 3600 and the eisstation dc-lt 80 (the bigger brother to @fabio dc-lt 40) which has a small res. I'm going to try to keep this info to purely the pump and preface with I'm ridiculously sensitive to noise.

So this pump can be ran at 12v (stock), 9v or 7v. So at stock voltage and the pump running 100% it sounds okay. It's more of a louder deep hum compared to the high pitch of the h60. Probably around the same sound level since they run 100%. I'm using the Strix x570i and it allows me, using DC mode, to drop the pump to 60% duty which I did. I set this for my idle temps and it's definitely quieter but it changes the frequency of the noise to be a higher pitch sound kinda like the h60 but quieter. I could hear it at idle if there weren't any other sounds. Which there tends to not be because the noctua 140mm fans are insanely quiet. It's not bad at all though. Most of the time you probably won't notice it.

Now, this is the part where I'm not sure if I should be doing it or not. So I got a 12v to 7v phoyba adapter to hard limit the voltage down. This is safe to do per alphacool's site. However, with the 7v adapter on you can still limit it on the motherboard. So at idle it is 100% quiet at 7v and 60% duty. Again not sure if I really should be doing this but temps are fine. GPU in the 30s and CPU bounces in the 30s-40s like it did before the 7v adapter. Now I have it set to run at 100% when it hits 49c because it was causing the GPU to get a litter warmer since I haven't figured out how to make the pump respond to the coolant instead of the CPU, which is fine because at idle it doesn't hit this and at load without it the GPU was getting warmer than I wanted. Overall temps are up 10c on the GPU and 5c on average with the 7v adapter under load.

So summary is for me idle noise with the 7v adapter is great. I honestly can't hear it. Even set to 100% it sounds better with it than 60% duty on 12v. However, there is a trade off of temps. I'm looking at low 70s on gpu under load and mid to low 60s on gpu during gaming and heavy CPU loads max out at 70c all on 7v. The 12v sees a max of mid 50s to low low 60s on both GPU and CPU while gaming and benchmarking, and during heavy CPU load max 66. Overall most people will have zero issue with the 12v set even at 100% but it is noticeable. Remember this isn't scientific stuff but I did do my best to monitor everything the same way. I don't have a accurate way to measure the decibels but I'm doing the perceived noise. I also don't recommend doing a double limit (I'm assuming the voltage is being limited twice) unless someone else can say it is 100% fine. I would recommend the 7v over stock if you are okay with the temps as my personal preference.

EDIT: Okay so the Strix mobo isn't monitoring or isn't reporting the same CPU temps that MSI Afterburner or HWInfo are. It must be looking at at different temp from the CPU. So my temps on the 7v were not with the pump actually running full 100%. Retesting I can't hear the pump at 7v 100% with any noise at all and my temps are much closer to the 12v temps. Maybe 3c higher on each during gaming loads. I will keep testing.
You need an inline temp sensor like one of these, you have to have the onboard header but your Asus does. With this you can control pump speed by water temp.

pwnedundies

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2019
You need an inline temp sensor like one of these, you have to have the onboard header but your Asus does. With this you can control pump speed by water temp.
darn it. i can probably put it in there some where still if I am careful enough. I have plenty of places to screw one in just the loop is fully done. I'll probably think about this. Thank you for the link!!

Reactions: rfarmer

pwnedundies

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2019
What top or reservoir are you using it with?
The DC-LT 2600 needs top/Res if I'm not mistaking...
I still don't really know what combination fits inside the T1, cause I got confused over all that builds @fabio did ?
The one i am using is the dc-lt 80, https://www.performance-pcs.com/wat.../alphacool-eisstation-80-dc-lt-reservoir.html, I figured for my first loop it would be a little easier to work with a bigger res so I could bleed the air out easier. Plus, I couldn't find the 40 in stock anywhere and I was already 3-4 weeks waiting for parts.

The one fabio is using is the dc-lt 40, https://www.performance-pcs.com/wat.../alphacool-eisstation-40-dc-lt-reservoir.html.

I'm not sure the dc-lt 80 will fit. I'm in a sliger sm580 so I have quite a bit more room to play with than the T1.

To clarify none of these are necessary if you plan to use the LT 240 just more options and it would make filling slightly easier.

Last edited:

UnitScott

Caliper Novice
Apr 24, 2020
To clarify none of these are necessary if you plan to use the LT 240 just more options and it would make filling slightly easier.
I wonder... with an LT-240, does the t1 have enough clearance for an EK GPU block, EK monoblock and dclt 3600 pump? Or do you have to settle for cpu pumpblock like in OptimumTech's build?

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Oh wow Distro Plate, this just became hot listed. Any way to fit 3x 120mm rads? even with 20mm height ?

Actually yes! Rather easy to do. With the short bracket, there's is 22.2mm of space for fans. With screws adding an additional 1mm, it's closes very nicely with no flexing. I have 2x 20mm fans here and 1x 25mm fan. I did not like the noise profile of the 20mm fans (Deepcool GS120) so I went back to Noctua slims. FormD T1 moar fans
darn it. i can probably put it in there some where still if I am careful enough. I have plenty of places to screw one in just the loop is fully done. I'll probably think about this. Thank you for the link!!

You can use a flat thermistor like this:

Or a plug sensor like this:

The first you can tape to the end tank of a radiator. The second you can use in an extra opening of your reservoir, as long as coolant can touch it it will be accurate.

But inline fittings are my preferred, like @rfarmer suggested. But it requires disassembly of the loop.

Also on Asus boards, you can use AI Suite to control fans speeds (and disable the annoying 75C critical CPU temp limit). You can also set chassis fans to respond to the temp sensor. On my board I cannot control the CPU header or AIO Pump header to temp sensor, only CPU. But I think I just need to get a Quadro at some point!

Last edited:

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
I wonder... with an LT-240, does the t1 have enough clearance for an EK GPU block, EK monoblock and dclt 3600 pump? Or do you have to settle for cpu pumpblock like in OptimumTech's build?

Yes you should be able to, if you use the reservoir that @fabio used. You will also need offset fittings to accommodate a full size fan in front. You can find the build and details on his build thread, and on this thread earlier.

Edit: I use a monoblock, and a GPX pro Solo pump. With plans to change to DDC...

UnitScott

Caliper Novice
Apr 24, 2020
Yes you should be able to, if you use the reservoir that @fabio used.
Glad to discover Fabio's build; it'll be great inspiration.

You will also need offset fittings to accommodate a full size fan in front.
Wow! I CAN get my full sized Noctua in!? Cable management will be tricky, but this case is packs quite the punch.

With plans to change to DDC...
Will my flow rate suffer on DClt 3600?

Thanks!

iwe

Caliper Novice
Feb 11, 2020
@DrHudacris I'm actually saying 3 Radiators, not 3 fans. Something very slim on another side?
for eg. 3x XSPC TX120 with 3x 12x15mm noctura.

I'm just afraid a 2x120 or 240mm rad won't cool that much a 9900k and a 2080ti.

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
@DrHudacris I'm actually saying 3 Radiators, not 3 fans. Something very slim on another side?

You cannot fit 3 120m rads because the third would have to be mounted above the one that is below the PSU (so 2 rads below the PSU). Even if there was room (there really isnt because of cables) the radiator would not fit because the motherboard would take up space. If you were to get crafty, you could probably find a way to fit a 120mm radiator on the GPU side if you have a short GPU, but at that point I dont think you actually need another 120.

From my build, I dont think that there is even any room for 2x 120 rads, but there is room for 1x 240.

OptimumTech has cooled his 9900k + 2080ti system using a single 240mm rad, but the GPU is undervolted I believe, but that isn't a big issue since there isn't a hit on performance. Furthermore, fabio has cooled a 3950x and a Titan V on a single 240 rad, and I dont think he has done any undervolting to the CPU or GPU.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019

By 3x 120mm do you mean a 240 and a 120? It may not be necessary, especially with undervolting as @Navic mentioned. But I have wondered if it could be possible with some creativity.

If you were to get crafty, you could probably find a way.

Foreshadowing!

max31092

Average Stuffer
Mar 1, 2020
I don't have the case but maybe this could work?

With a watercooled GPU in 3-Slot configuration you should have about 40mm of free space on the GPU-Side. 240x20mm radiator and 15mm fans could work. But you'd have to get creative about the mounting and how to connect the radiator. Another problem might be the needed airflow.

Last edited: