Production FormD T1 Classic (READ FIRST POST)

Increase volume from 9.8L to 10.5L to support MSI Suprim X 30XX?

• Yes, worth the trade off to be more compatible with components

Votes: 116 24.7%
  • No, not worth it b/c it is not better than the ROG 30XX, which fits now at <10L

Votes: 353 75.3%

• Total voters

Luke NK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 17, 2019
Nah, I'm running the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX motherboard in my system.

This is correct, but I did have to sand down part of my NF-A12x15 fan to clear the VRM heatsink from my motherboard. Images of the mod here and here.

The non-recommended orientation barely effects temps, as I tested this a while back and posted here.

I just upgraded to the 9900K and OCed to 4.8ghz all core (modest I know), and it only hit 84C on synthetic bench runs. Don't let silly orientation "rules" keep you from using a fantastic cooler. Would it be better if it was turned sideways allowing the top fans to pull air through the fin array? Yes. Does it still cool well in the "worst" orientation for it? Yes. ;)

It seems you have had a different experience from what has been reported here:

"Initially installed the cooler with the heat pipes facing down, but upon realizing this was not recommended by noctua, I tried altarnative orientations.
Unfortunately my mobo (Aorus B550i) has the CPU socket quite high in the PCB, so the only way for it to fit was by removing the side bracket keeping only the fan rail.

It was a really tight fit, but I have seen tempartures drop ~5ºC when under load (Ryzen 5 3600)."

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
I'm not saying that Mysterious didn't experience a 5 C difference by changing orientation, but I would venture to say that it has less to do with the "wrong" orientation, and more to do with getting most ideal orientation to work. Airflow through fin arrays should always see an improvement vs airflow against them. There have been multiple Techtubers post videos showcasing that this isn't really a thing, but I can't be bothered to find them for you lol.

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
My question got largely ignored. It doesn't seem like anyone anywhere is allowing any questions about this case so I think i'll stick with my Sliger case for now. thanks!
"It doesn't seem like anyone anywhere is allowing(???????) any questions about this case"
bruh what? That's exactly what the subreddit is for, questions about this case. I see every new post and answer the questions that I can, and a lot of other people pitch in as well. Why are you choosing a case based on people in the community either not being able to answer your question, or not seeing the question in the first place? Plus, did I not just answer your questions?
I'm sorry if I sound a bit hostile, I just don't understand this reasoning. If you have a question, go ahead and ask it on the subreddit, because most likely there are people that can answer your question. No reason to pass up what could potentially be the best case for you just because your post wasn't seen.

Luke NK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 17, 2019
I'm not saying that Mysterious didn't experience a 5 C difference by changing orientation, but I would venture to say that it has less to do with the "wrong" orientation, and more to do with getting most ideal orientation to work. Airflow through fin arrays should always see an improvement vs airflow against them. There have been multiple Techtubers post videos showcasing that this isn't really a thing, but I can't be bothered to find them for you lol.

I see, I guess I will ask noctua directly to see if this non recommended orientation "harms" the longevity of the cooler in any way? if temps are not a variable then something else must be

Thanks for your help Brude

Reactions: Brude27

max31092

Average Stuffer
Mar 1, 2020
There really shouldn't be any harm to the cooler. The only point is if gravity helps the flow of the coolant in the vapour chamber of the heatpipe.
Using it in the "wrong" orientation might decrease it's effectiveness but it won't cause actual harm to the cooler.

There might be a difference but there are so many things to factor in when it comes to temperature.

For example: there's a offset bracket for watercoolers for ryzen to accomodate the chiplet design. It can make a differnce on lower loads but tests show it doesn't on full syntetic loads. So ithe heatpipe might just make a differnce on some scenarios.
Besides that, room temperature, case, thermal paste and fan speed can make a difference. There are always inconsistencies while changing coolers.

Last edited:
Reactions: pwnedundies

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Magic-Cube wasn't in stock so I bought myself Alphacool Eisdecke DDC plexi top V.4.
In terms of thickness it's even better because Alphacool Eiszapfen screw plugs don't stick out:

Posting here because even a few mm can make a huge difference for someone.
my situation is reversed since I can get the Magic Cube locally and 0 availability for Alphacool stuff. Then Aquanaut came and made it redundant so I turned it into a multiport reservoir instead but getting a 5mm thick "base" with DDC screw holes. the plan is to have it sit flat in the GPU chambers instead of vertical mount Fabio and others have done with the pump installed.

Been letting it sit for a day now and no leak but will test it again with the EK leak tester once I get to do my loop in the T1.

Reactions: DrHudacris

iwannabethisguy

Case Bender
New User
Sep 20, 2020
I have an opportunity to get a 3090 FTW and the stock configuration looks like it fits the case fine. However, I would like to include this card in the loop. At the moment, only Optimus is offering a block but the height is about 150+ which doesn't seem like it'll fit the case. Would it be fair to assume that blocks from other manufacturers for this card would also be as tall, so I should just pass on this card?

Ray2r

Caliper Novice
Apr 4, 2018
Regarding the purchasing process for a FormD T1. It is it a kit for $210 and you get everything? Or can you upgrade from mesh panel to aluminum or glass side panels for like 10$; while buying the part itself is 30$?

Is there a shipping cost? Does it charge tax?

Can I upgrade to a bifurcation instead of just the riser?

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Regarding the purchasing process for a FormD T1. It is it a kit for $210 and you get everything? Or can you upgrade from mesh panel to aluminum or glass side panels for like 10$; while buying the part itself is 30$?
What you purchase is a full kit, anything else is classified under Accessories and will be sold separately sometimes in the future

Is there a shipping cost? Does it charge tax?
Shipping cost - YES, varies by destination. Tax - NO, you will be notified of the full amount by your country's customs/delivery service and are liable for the full amount then

Can I upgrade to a bifurcation instead of just the riser?
Nope, not with FormD. The only bifurcation riser that I know is from C-Payne - multiple users have used it in their SLI builds and posted in this thread

Ray2r

Caliper Novice
Apr 4, 2018
What you purchase is a full kit, anything else is classified under Accessories and will be sold separately sometimes in the future
Oh, does that mean we are all stuck with the mesh side panel for now? We are unable to purchase the Aluminum or the Glass Side panel at the time of purchasing our T1 case?

Shipping cost - YES, varies by destination. Tax - NO, you will be notified of the full amount by your country's customs/delivery service and are liable for the full amount then
Do you know how much the shipping cost is to the US? I want to figure out how much this case will set me back.

Nope, not with FormD. The only bifurcation riser that I know is from C-Payne - multiple users have used it in their SLI builds and posted in this thread
AP2 linked me that this Bifurcation would work for me [Link Here]. However, do you know the actual riser/cable part that I need to make this x8/x8 bifurcation work in this case? AP2 said that I would need a 25 or 30cm riser which the provided riser is too short. Does that mean I would be fine with a 25 or a 30cm riser or do you know a specific length I should buy?
Finally, do I simply buy a shielded riser like this one from amazon to be able to make the above linked bifurcation work? Or do I need a specific riser cable for this case? [Link Here]

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Oh, does that mean we are all stuck with the mesh side panel for now? We are unable to purchase the Aluminum or the Glass Side panel at the time of purchasing our T1 case?

Do you know how much the shipping cost is to the US? I want to figure out how much this case will set me back.
Yep, black mesh panels only as of speaking. And I don't live in the US so will need somebody else to step in here

AP2 linked me that this Bifurcation would work for me [Link Here]. However, do you know the actual riser/cable part that I need to make this x8/x8 bifurcation work in this case? AP2 said that I would need a 25 or 30cm riser which the provided riser is too short. Does that mean I would be fine with a 25 or a 30cm riser or do you know a specific length I should buy?
Finally, do I simply buy a shielded riser like this one from amazon to be able to make the above linked bifurcation work? Or do I need a specific riser cable for this case? [Link Here]
You should ask AP2 and fabio or DrHudacris instead. I have no more information on bifurcation build.

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
"It doesn't seem like anyone anywhere is allowing(???????) any questions about this case"
bruh what? That's exactly what the subreddit is for, questions about this case. I see every new post and answer the questions that I can, and a lot of other people pitch in as well. Why are you choosing a case based on people in the community either not being able to answer your question, or not seeing the question in the first place? Plus, did I not just answer your questions?
I'm sorry if I sound a bit hostile, I just don't understand this reasoning. If you have a question, go ahead and ask it on the subreddit, because most likely there are people that can answer your question. No reason to pass up what could potentially be the best case for you just because your post wasn't seen.
If it's that easy to dissuade somebody from building in this case then good riddance. There are lots of people out there that see the value this case has, and are dying to get their hands on one.
He literally has two posts, and this topic is filled with ALL the info you would ever need to build in this case.-
You answered his question just fine.
I am running my case in 3 slot mode with tall g.skill trident ram just fine with lots of room to spare so would personally not go for the lpr because of higher latency.
But other than that I'd say ignore and forget.

cpt.bubbles

Cable Smoosher
Oct 18, 2020
Does anyone know when the case will be back in stock? I was watching the site multiple times yesterday but there weren't any cases available.

2020-10-08: Preorders suspended until further notice.
Due to limited manufacturing capacity heading into peak season (October to December), we are NOT taking orders until we get more capacity. To that end, we hope to resolve this constraint in October to reopen before November.

Source (Reddit)

Reactions: Navic

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Does no one have any idea whether the EK rad will cause bulging paired with the NF-A12x15?
Which EK rad? SE 240 classic doesn't - that's the most commonly used rad I've seen in custom loops

What's the tallest GPU people have gotten to fit in their T1?

The Zotac RTX 3070 Twin Edge is 141.3mm tall with heavily recessed plugs - 1.3mm is not much so I was wondering what amount of give there was to potentially allow it to fit - anyone gotten a card that is more than 140mm tall to fit in their T1?

Last edited: