Cooling Fanless low-profile cpu cooler?

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
Original poster
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
Hello guys.

As some of you might know, I'm recently working on a sff pc case, that will support up to 50mm cpu cooler height (check thread).

My main concern about it is cpu cooling, as the tempered-glass panel has no vent holes, and this may cause some turbulance and noise.
So I was thinking, and maybe the 2x 60mm fans beside the motherboard can work as the heatsink fans, if I use a very good heatsink.

So my question is: what are the absolute best cpu heatsinks available on the market, that are up to 50mm (without counting the fan)?

Thanks

Last edited:

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
Original poster
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
Fanless low-profile heatsink are often designed for use in 1U/2U server blade where noise is not an issue and high air flow is guaranteed.

Hey Guille, thanks for reply.
Actually, I'm not looking for a cpu cooler that is fanless already, but the best normal one where I can remove the fan and get 50mm height.
Airflow will be pretty decent on my case I think, because of the huge front gap hole and the 60mm fans.
I know I might end up having to add vent holes on the side panel to solve the problem, but I want to test other solutions before deciding that route.
Any tips for a solution in my specific case?
Cheers

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I don't think there's a snowflake's chance in hell you're passively cooling a modern day multi core CPU with a 50mm passive cooler. As an example look at he NoFan brand passive coolers which, at their shortest, come in at 113mm tall and only dissipate a max of 80W of heat. Considering every other cooler on the market is based on active cooling via its fin density, orientation and overall design this is completely a non-starter. My personal suggestion would be to build in the capacity for strong cross flow in order to act as an assist to something like a Noctual L9i.

Reactions: BernardoZ

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
Original poster
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
I don't think there's a snowflake's chance in hell you're passively cooling a modern day multi core CPU with a 50mm passive cooler. As an example look at he NoFan brand passive coolers which, at their shortest, come in at 113mm tall and only dissipate a max of 80W of heat. Considering every other cooler on the market is based on active cooling via its fin density, orientation and overall design this is completely a non-starter. My personal suggestion would be to build in the capacity for strong cross flow in order to act as an assist to something like a Noctual L9i.

Hey Craig, I apreciate the insight.
Makes sense, just wanted to be sure.
So I will test the cross flow assist as you said. If temps are still high, I may just end up adding vent holes on the side panel (easiest fix).
Again, thanks for reply, very curious how your Kmpkt Curve will look like ;)
Cheers

Reactions: GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I tried to passively cool an i7-4785T (35W) with a huge fanless noctua NH-C14, having 2x high CFM Noctua NF-S12A PWM 2cm away from the motherboard in a channeled chamber .... Quickly added the bottom fan to the heatsink (blowing upwards through the fins)

Edit: try to look at Supermicro 2U heatsink, they might have something if you can ensure enough airflow and have a low TDP CPU. Heatsink aimed at fanless (read chassis airflow only) have more space between each fins to let the airflow pass.

Reactions: BernardoZ

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
Original poster
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
I tried to passively cool an i7-4785T (35W) with a huge fanless noctua NH-C14, having 2x high CFM Noctua NF-S12A PWM 2cm away from the motherboard in a channeled chamber .... Quickly added the bottom fan to the heatsink (blowing upwards through the fins)

What u mean by that is that it didnt work well? If yes, I have no more questions, as I would try a very similar thing haha.
Cheers

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
Original poster
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
Just wanted to share this "fanless" low profile cpu cooler solution I found on Chiphell.
We probably won't need to do anything similar in our project, but I think this is really clever XD

Last edited:
Reactions: Kooki and lordzahl

sgtspiff

Caliper Novice
May 25, 2018
Found this thread now as I was searching the net for a low profile passive cooler.

I'm also thinking about this. A 35W CPU but with the twist that I will if it's possible put it on a testbench instead of inside a case.
The Arctic Alpine 11/12 says 35W fanless. But I was thinking that If it got heatpipes it must be better than just Aluminium?

Perfect would be if it was just as high as the mobo. But that must be something reserved for under 15W CPUs. Would love to use a Big Shuriken passively.

Reactions: Smole and confusis