Cooling Low-profile CPU coolers?

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
A bit new to posting on the forum, so forgive me if this isn't the place to post this question.

I'm on the hunt for some low-profile CPU coolers, but there's quite a few options out there and I'm not sure which one might be best for my particular needs. So, I wanted to ask you guys what good performing low-profile CPU coolers are out there.

I'm planning on obtaining an i7-6700K (no OC) for a mini itx build, maybe a standard 6700 depending on the CPU cooler's TDP support. While I have ~160-165mm of clearance for a CPU cooler in this case, I'd like to use a low-profile one for aesthetics and for keeping internal space clear for airflow (though I haven't confirmed if a 120 slim rad would fit yet).

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I like the Noctua L9x65 but swapping the stock fan with the 92x25mm Noctua: http://noctua.at/en/nh-l9x65

Not the cheapest combo but it actually can handle a i7 5930K with decent noise levels for gaming (not Prime or similar full-load applications). There are plenty of shorter heatsinks but you're not really hurting for height.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
the NH-L9x65 is a solid cooler, it did well in the review. Other options would be the Scythe Big Shuriken, the Noctua NH-L12, Prolimatech Samuel, that sort of thing. The Samuel is my favourite :)

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
I like the Noctua L9x65 but swapping the stock fan with the 92x25mm Noctua: http://noctua.at/en/nh-l9x65

Not the cheapest combo but it actually can handle a i7 5930K with decent noise levels for gaming (not Prime or similar full-load applications). There are plenty of shorter heatsinks but you're not really hurting for height.

Had considered doing the same with an NH-L9i, but I doubt the L9i could handle a 6700 during load. I'd like to keep height around 100mm or shorter, but yeah I've got plenty of space for a decently large air cooler should I really need it.

the NH-L9x65 is a solid cooler, it did well in the review. Other options would be the Scythe Big Shuriken, the Noctua NH-L12, Prolimatech Samuel, that sort of thing. The Samuel is my favourite :)

I'm considering the NH-L9x65 for its compatibility with the mini itx motherboards, but I might swap out the stock fan for a standard 92mm fan (maybe one in black to go with the rest of the case.

Does the Scythe have any adapters to swap out the slim fan for a standard 25mm width 120 fan? How does it perform compared to the Samuel? I like the Samuel for having mounting for a 120mm fan, but how is its thermal performance with a 120mm fan? How much room does the Samuel have for RAM clearance?

Zeroth Alpha

Cable Smoosher
Jul 24, 2016
I would say that the Noctua L9i is passable for a 6700 under load. I run a 4670k (overclocked to 3.8ghz all core turbo, undervolted) and it stays just shy of 90 degrees Celsius on synthetic stress tests. Although uncomfortably hot, a 6700 has a far lower tdp and the L9i would probably work.

Reactions: Phuncz

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Does the Scythe have any adapters to swap out the slim fan for a standard 25mm width 120 fan? How does it perform compared to the Samuel? I like the Samuel for having mounting for a 120mm fan, but how is its thermal performance with a 120mm fan? How much room does the Samuel have for RAM clearance?

The scythe will take a standard 120mm width fan.. IF it has open sides;

https://smallformfactor.net/reviews/scythe-big-shuriken-2-rev-b-big-name-small-cooler

Re: Samuel clearance - this is one of the tightest boards in terms of layout;

https://smallformfactor.net/reviews/prolimatech-samuel-17-goliaths-david

Only standard height DIMMs need apply in the second case.

Regarding cooling, the Samuel with a 120mm fan can keep an 65w apu about 2 degrees delta T at load, versus 10 degrees delta T for the big shuriken on the 89w test bench. One day I will revisit all the cooler tests and retest them all on a standardised bench - 3-4 of the earlier reviews I did was on a higher wattage CPU due to already having that system on hand.

Check out the cooling reviews we've done for more options;
https://smallformfactor.net/reviews/cooling

Reactions: Phuncz

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I used a Silverstone AR-06 with a Noctua 92mm thin fan. It's surprisingly good, performs as well as the Coolermaster GeminII S524 v2 which is much much much bigger - but also about the same price :/

I tested it on my G3258 rig @ 4.6ghz (1.320v) and it hit around 82C max temperature. If you're not OC'ing then it should be good enough and very compact.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Hey I was wondering if anyone thinks it might be worth it to have a master thread/sticky on low profile heatsinks with all of their pertinent measurements. It seems to come up a lot and a central resource would probably be really useful for those of us doing custom builds as well as those interested in doing any production for the open market. Just a thought.

Reactions: Broxin

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015
I thought about it too but then the Wiki section was born later which I thought should take care of such a database. But I guess it depends on which set of "pertinent measurements" you want to collect for reference.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
The Noctua NH-L9i can handle a 6700 no problem as long as your case doesn't allow the heat to build up, I don't think it would handle a 6700K quietly under load though.

An alternative to the NH-L9 is the Silverstone AR-05 which performs about the same and is he same height.

The AR-06 is slightly taller, but it can handle a 95W CPU as long as you feed it cool air.

Reactions: owliwar and Broxin