Cooling low profile heatsink recommendations?

NFSxperts

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Aug 7, 2015
Hello

Any of you have any recommendations for good cheap low profile heatsinks?
I using a Scythe Big Shuriken2B and looking for a new one for a different rig.

CoolerMaster Gemin II M4
SilverStone AR06
cryorig c7
SilverStone NT06-Pro

Anyone have used any of these? I would get the Noctua L12 but the higher price isn't worth it for me. I'm currently thinking about getting the NT06 or the M4. Or maybe getting another Big Shuriken.2. CPU fan would be off most of the time.

Regack

Trash Compacter
Sep 11, 2015
I currently have the CoolerMaster GeminII M4 on an i5 2500. I can't say I've ever done any specific testing, but it has always worked just fine at normal clock speeds and whatnot. I've had it for about 4 years and it spent 3 of those years crammed into a Silverstone SG05 with the i5 2500.

edit: as to low profile, I needed more low profile, and have a Noctua NH-L9i.

I also have a Scythe Kozuti, and that seems to work just fine as well. That one lives on a Q9550.

Last edited:

NFSxperts

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Aug 7, 2015
I've read reviews for most of coolers, none of the conclusions are consistent.
Some sites says the M4 is no better than stock, but others say its around the same as the Noctua L12.

The NT06-P is out since its a bottom mounted fan and taking it out to clean will be a hassle.

my new list:

CM GeminII M4 (cheapest, but unsure about performance)
Cryorig C7 (non swappable 92mm fan?)
Thermalright AXP-100 Muscle (10cm fan, no fan converter bracket)

I'll keep digging, but any others have any input?

Lone

King of Cable Management
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I think what you have so far is pretty good (I'd like to try the AXP-100 myself). There's also the Prolimatech Samuel 17 (pick your own fan). The Deepcool Gamer Storm Gabriel is cheap, but the fan isn't the greatest. The Noctua NH-L9i or NH-L9x65 may be too small for you coming from a Big Shuriken 2.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
i can speak for the geminii M4 having just installed one. The only serious caveat ive come across to date is its secured from behind so if your chassis doesn't have a cut out in the mobo plate your pulling the whole lot out

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Also, it appears the geminii m4 may be going EOL - nobody in NZ stocks it anymore!