Rumor EPYC ITX is coming - ASRockRack ROMED4ID-2T

It looks like Asrock Rack is working on Threadripper EPYC motherboard that has a DTX size on the X axis.

The size is 170*208. It has the same height as ITX but the width is 38mm longer.

Before you cry "rip sandwich", because mostly the SFX is next to the ITX board that make use this impossible - you can! If you use a Flex PSU next to the board ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Given that's not a standard ATX power supply connector and it has an HDD power connector, it's likely this is a 12VDC only board so you don't even need a conventional PC power supply, just one that can deliver high enough wattage of 12 volts.

On a different note, anyone got an idea what the "slimline connectors" are They aren't immediately recognizable to me?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
This looks like a server board, considering the IPMI, limited connectors and EPYC support (not Threadripper), but this just means my wallet is going to start sweating soon in fear of being summoned.

Reactions: Soul_Est

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Given that's not a standard ATX power supply connector and it has an HDD power connector, it's likely this is a 12VDC only board so you don't even need a conventional PC power supply, just one that can deliver high enough wattage of 12 volts.

On a different note, anyone got an idea what the "slimline connectors" are They aren't immediately recognizable to me?
It will likely ship with the same "dongle" that most of the AsRockRack boards ship with that have this setup. You'd be able to use a 12VDC power supply directly (although it would need to be at least 300W because of the EPYC power usage), or a traditional ATX12V PSU.

It should fit fine in cases that can take "odd-sized" mATX motherboards or FlexATX motherboards, like the NCase M1 or the new CoolerMaster NR200.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016

They are SFF-8654 Slimline SAS. https://www.newegg.com/innocard-pc892a-mic74-8801/p/0Y3-00M7-00215 here's a kit to dual NVMe.

I know them from the first actually available PCIe Gen 4 ATX SP3 board, the Tomcat HX S8030, it has two of these. https://www.avadirect.com/Tomcat-HX...IMM-8-VGA-GbLAN-2-ATX-Retail/Product/13225593

(2) SFF-8654 for (4) NVMe ports

It's an impressive little bugger with 5 * x16 slots and six more x4 for NVMe -- that's 104 lanes put to good use. While it has a 10GbE version, that's not a worthy pair to this much I/O capability, rather add a Mellanox MCX516A-CDAT for two 100GbE ports.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
It will likely ship with the same "dongle" that most of the AsRockRack boards ship with that have this setup. You'd be able to use a 12VDC power supply directly (although it would need to be at least 300W because of the EPYC power usage), or a traditional ATX12V PSU.
Not sure what you mean by traditional ATX12V. The ATX 12V standard calls for a 10 pin connector and the same auxiliary and PCIe connectors as regular ATX. This looks to be smade for server PSUs which, while there is a lot of overlap, and common designs, isn't entirely fixed, and server PSUs aren't standard ATX dimensions either.
It's not an issue at all, I was just pointing out you don't need a traditional ATX PSU for this.
They are SFF-8654 Slimline SAS. https://www.newegg.com/innocard-pc892a-mic74-8801/p/0Y3-00M7-00215 here's a kit to dual NVMe.
Ah, thanks. it's hard to keep track of what T10 and SNIA are doing at times. Seems like they come out with new connectors constantly, and there's already been a half dozen multilink SAS connectors.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Not sure what you mean by traditional ATX12V. The ATX 12V standard calls for a 10 pin connector and the same auxiliary and PCIe connectors as regular ATX. This looks to be smade for server PSUs which, while there is a lot of overlap, and common designs, isn't entirely fixed, and server PSUs aren't standard ATX dimensions either.
It's not an issue at all, I was just pointing out you don't need a traditional ATX PSU for this.

ATX12V is the current 20 and 24-pin standard. It also defines the size and mounting holes of the current ATX PSU. That's why I called it "traditional"... it's what we've been using for over 20 years in some form or another. You are thinking of ATX12VO which is the new 10-pin standard. You had said this was a 12VDC Only board, and I was pointing out you can use a 12V DC power supply that provides two 8-pin inputs (the board looks like it needs two and that would make sense for EPYC), or you can use what will likely be a supplied dongle that adapts the 4-pin and 8-pin on the board to a 24-pin input where you can use a standard power supply.

In theory you could probably build such a dongle for the 10-pin ATX12VO standard but the lack of power supplies for that standards makes that somewhat pointless.

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
@Wahaha360 it depends on what your goal is. EPYC and this board is for server duties, it'll have some (serious) disadvantages for workstation or PC usage. Server boards have very few I/O ports, take a long time to POST (2 to 5 minutes is common) and miss configuration you might want like fan controls.
TRX40 and ThreadRipper is for workstations and HEDT usage.

Neither are exclusive to their use-case but have serious caveats otherwise.