Motherboard New X570 ITX board: AsRockRack X570D4I-2T

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Mar 10, 2019
So news on this board came up at SC19 back in November, with this post at ServeTheHome. AsRockRack has finally posted the actual specs and board pictures to their website.
This is not your typical ITX AM4 motherboard. It has:
  • 4x DIMM slots, but they are SO-DIMMs.
  • Official ECC memory support.
  • Dual Intel-based 10GBase-T Ethernet.
  • On-board VGA (for boot and troubleshooting).
  • 8x SATA ports using OCuLink.
  • One onboard M.2 Slot.
  • DC Power input (or 24pin ATX using adapter).
  • Dedicated IP-based Management port for offline hardware management.
  • LGA115x mounting holes (like AsRock's X570 PG ITX/TB3).
If you are looking to build a Ryzen Server or the ultimate X570 workstation, this is the board to get.

Mayhem

Cable Smoosher
Jan 29, 2020
Barely any USB though with only two ports on the back and one internal header, and no built-in audio support at all as far as I can tell?

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Mar 10, 2019
It's a bloody server board. They don't have I/O.
Depends on your definition of I/O, it does have dual 10GbE which is more than you can say for 99% of ITX boards! ? But yeah I never understood why people have a cow over USB port counts even on desktop boards. They make USB hubs, it's not that hard.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Servers don't need audio or USB! Also, as @ermac318 said, USB hubs exist.

@Mayhem ASRock Rack is ASRock's server and industrial division, not their consumer gear.

I want this board!!

Reactions: bubbl3

comagoosie

sff is life
May 8, 2018
Excellent news! Ever since ServeTheHome initially debuted the article, I've been searching every few weeks.

Anyone familiar with how the SATA3 via OCulink works? Perchance, does it provide data and power?

I'm itching for a new nas

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Mar 10, 2019
Excellent news! Ever since ServeTheHome initially debuted the article, I've been searching every few weeks.

Anyone familiar with how the SATA3 via OCulink works? Perchance, does it provide data and power?

I'm itching for a new nas
OCuLink is essentially a modified SFF-8643 connector, the kind you see on SAS controllers or with U.2 connectors. It can carry a 4x PCIe Link or four SAS or SATA links. You need a breakout cable to split the OCuLink connector into four SATA or SAS connectors, similar to a SFF-8643 or SFF-8087 breakout cable. My NAS uses two SFF-8087 to 4x SATA reverse breakout cable on my LSI HBA, these OCuLink ports would work similarly.

Right now my NAS is my old Devil's Canyon MicroATX system shoved in a UNAS NSC810a. I'm wondering if this board can be my upgrade path.

EDIT: You can see cables here, the second one is a breakout cable.

Mayhem

Cable Smoosher
Jan 29, 2020
Servers don't need audio or USB! Also, as @ermac318 said, USB hubs exist.

@Mayhem ASRock Rack is ASRock's server and industrial division, not their consumer gear.

Indeed. But with the limitations mentioned, I would argue it is hardly a candidate for the "ultimate X570 workstation" as the threadstarter opined.

Last edited:

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Mar 10, 2019
Anyone knows where to buy this (in Europe preferably)?
It doesn't seem to be out and shipping yet. Look for other places that sell AsRockRack products. Being a business-focused product it may be available at your usual retailers. I can find other products at NewEgg in the states but you'll have better luck with places that sell whitebox server stuff like SuperMicro.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Mar 10, 2019
Just an update - still doesn't seem to be orderable, but the website has been updated with a Memory QVL, CPU Support List, and CPU Cooler QVL (although the latter there is only 2 server coolers).

Interesting note, based on the Cooler QVL, one of the coolers is this server cooler, which is an LGA 1356/1366 mounting hole cooler, however the QVL states its an 1156 cooler.

EDIT: Here is the cooler spec, it's usable on both 115x and 13x6.

Last edited:

ExplodingWaffle101

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 11, 2018
Just an update - still doesn't seem to be orderable, but the website has been updated with a Memory QVL, CPU Supper List, and CPU Cooler QVL (although the latter there is only 2 server coolers).

Interesting note, based on the Cooler QVL, one of the coolers is this server cooler, which is an LGA 1356/1366 mounting hole cooler, however the QVL states its an 1156 cooler.

EDIT: Here is the cooler spec, it's usable on both 115x and 13x6.
interesting how they've qvl'd some 3200 sticks even though its only supposed to go up to 2933. maybe the ram support isnt too bad? (even if they have 4 SODIMMS... on the same side) the manual only mentions speeds for ECC dimms, maybe it goes faster with non-ECC ram. also from the manual: its cool how they have a sata power out connector. this thing would be a dream on a 12v system.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Mar 10, 2019
interesting how they've qvl'd some 3200 sticks even though its only supposed to go up to 2933. maybe the ram support isnt too bad? (even if they have 4 SODIMMS... on the same side) the manual only mentions speeds for ECC dimms, maybe it goes faster with non-ECC ram. also from the manual: its cool how they have a sata power out connector. this thing would be a dream on a 12v system.
Most boards that have the 12v input have the SATA Power output for that reason. AsRock (and Supermicro) have boards that do this already, see for example fabio's build in the Pure case from J-Hack. Only PSU is the Meanwell 12v DC which goes straight into the motherboard. Unfortunately, I doubt that would be suitable for a NAS as the 5v power coming from the board probably isn't quite enough to run, say, 8 spinning hard drives (although the motors run 12v).

corwin

Efficiency Noob
May 7, 2020
OCuLink is essentially a modified SFF-8643 connector, the kind you see on SAS controllers or with U.2 connectors. It can carry a 4x PCIe Link or four SAS or SATA links. You need a breakout cable to split the OCuLink connector into four SATA or SAS connectors, similar to a SFF-8643 or SFF-8087 breakout cable. My NAS uses two SFF-8087 to 4x SATA reverse breakout cable on my LSI HBA, these OCuLink ports would work similarly.

Right now my NAS is my old Devil's Canyon MicroATX system shoved in a UNAS NSC810a. I'm wondering if this board can be my upgrade path.

EDIT: You can see cables here, the second one is a breakout cable.

Actually, the nice thing about this board, vs any other AM4/X570 mITX boards, is that is exposing 3x PCIE 4.0 x4 ports as well as the x16 slot. The M.2 (obviously), then each of the OCuLink's is EITHER a 4x SATAIII or a PCIE 4.0 x4. Even their website's not clear on that - you have to dig a bit further into the specs, or the manual. So, 3 M.2 drives is possible with the right cables/adapters, 2x M.2 and 4x SATA III drives for colder storage, or 1 M.2 and 8x SATA III. There are even OCuLink to PCIE x4 slot adapters - should you need. Probably the most flexible mITX X570 board out there as far as expansion - you are getting access to a total of 28 lanes of PCIE 4.0 in a friggin' mITX!

And, if it all goes wrong, and you are not at the console, just point your browser at the management IP.... :)

I talked to Asrock Rack (US) a few days ago - they are talking about a mid June date for the boards to hit north america.

Reactions: Phuncz

corwin

Efficiency Noob
May 7, 2020
Actually, the nice thing about this board, vs any other AM4/X570 mITX boards, is that is exposing 3x PCIE 4.0 x4 ports as well as the x16 slot. The M.2 (obviously), then each of the OCuLink's is EITHER a 4x SATAIII or a PCIE 4.0 x4. Even their website's not clear on that - you have to dig a bit further into the specs, or the manual. So, 3 M.2 drives is possible with the right cables/adapters, 2x M.2 and 4x SATA III drives for colder storage, or 1 M.2 and 8x SATA III. There are even OCuLink to PCIE x4 slot adapters - should you need. Probably the most flexible mITX X570 board out there as far as expansion - you are getting access to a total of 28 lanes of PCIE 4.0 in a friggin' mITX!

And, if it all goes wrong, and you are not at the console, just point your browser at the management IP.... :)

I talked to Asrock Rack (US) a few days ago - they are talking about a mid June date for the boards to hit north america.

Another - note, there are 32 GB DDR4 3600 SODIMMS starting to come out now. So, if they are stable :)