Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Update 29 Apr 2018

Below are some photos of the case prototyping. Once complete I will proceed with mould casting. Costing will be considered of course, hopefully the economics can be worked out within a reasonable scale.

Next steps:
  1. Case prototyping revision
  2. Stack prototyping
  3. Colorway sampling

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
I was really, really hoping the corners would not be rounded off.
The look of a straight 90 degree edge is more elegant.

mfcods

Efficiency Noob
Mar 19, 2018
For now, the only thing I miss is the possibility for a manual fan speed switch. Like the one the on node 304, but not placed in the back

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Update 13 May 2018

Prototyping of the case is going well so far, a second version is underway with adjustments to some of the screw holes for better fit. First version stack unit prototyping is underway. Fitting of the two separate parts will be tested.

The following can be confirmed at this stage:
  1. Magnetic tape will be used for the side and top panels, they have been tested and they are strong enough to hold
  2. Bottom air filter is a go, magnetically attached
  3. Where needed, magnetic steel parts may be used, but main external panels should remain in Al
  4. For the case, hard drive brackets will be included, 2.5" ssd x 1 + 3.5" hdd x 1. One of the two can be used with short length video card, but not both at the same time.
  5. Hard drive bracket (3 x 2.5" ssd) will be included in the stack unit (refer to update design below). This can be used with 120mm rad

Last edited:
Reactions: owliwar and mfcods

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Update 28 May 2018

You are welcome to send me your email address if you are interested in this product. It helps me to estimate my costing and breakeven. My target is around USD150-180 (including stack unit!!!!), for at least 1,000 buyers.

Prototyping is going well, the case sampling is 95% completed with a couple of minor adjustments
- I/O Panel cutout positioning 2.5mm off
- 2.5inch ssd and 3.5inch hdd brackets (later added)
- front panel power switch pcb, under way
- for the case, basically, only minor accessories items outstanding, e.g. power switch, custom size EVA feets, custom size magnetic tapes, etc.
- Stack unit first sample is made. Some issues with mounting the rad, need some adjustments, 2nd prototype underway

Moving on to colour sampling (4 colours in the plan):
- matte black (in progress)
- chalk white (pending)
- cherry red /w white top (pending)
- pinky pie /w white top (pending)

Below are some photos of the machine, it is the only one in the world right now :), and I am using/testing it out!

Last edited:
Reactions: mfcods and yawacool

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
I think you should use a Google Doc survey to make things easier :p but never the less I am interested if the radiator mount comes through.

I don't know if this fits Ur vision, but adding 280mm rad support will really set u apart from the upcoming Dan case.

Looking forward to it.

ron095

Caliper Novice
May 28, 2018
I'm curious, will the side panels be sliding panels? Will there be a plexiglass panel addon? I'm assuming ventilation will be an issue with that though. And what are the dimensions of the case?

Really looking forward to the progress!

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I think you should use a Google Doc survey to make things easier :p but never the less I am interested if the radiator mount comes through.

I don't know if this fits Ur vision, but adding 280mm rad support will really set u apart from the upcoming Dan case.

Looking forward to it.

It is certainly good idea, for the 280mm rad. Let me check the spacing and will try my best to fit that in if possible :)

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I'm curious, will the side panels be sliding panels? Will there be a plexiglass panel addon? I'm assuming ventilation will be an issue with that though. And what are the dimensions of the case?

Really looking forward to the progress!

Side panels are NOT slide in. One major disadvantage of slide in panels is that it is not convenient to open up the case if a stack unit is also used. That's why I have rejected the use of side panels in my design from right at the start.

The dimension of the case now is: 315 x 142 x ( 195 body + 20 feet ) [L x W x H in mm], weight 1.7kg
The case overall height may be taller than 'some others', but bear in mind that I have to add 2cm for the feet in order to make dust filter and ventilation meaningful, otherwise is is really comparable. As mentioned before my design philosophy is no compromise be it in aesthetics, performance, practicality. These feet are designed to match with the body, no compromise on aesthetics there :)

I am certainly planning for transparent side panels, I am investigating different materials, e.g. tempered glass vs acrylic. It is my target to offer both types of panels but please I need to check out suppliers for this first :)

Last edited:
Reactions: yawacool

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
Wow, nice, looking forward to production. I'd be down to put in an order, or if you ever put up a google survey doc for emails I'll be on the lookout for that as well.

Reactions: macbosco

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Design Update:
  • side panels mounting screw holes incorporated into the core design to allow for later optional tempered glass panels, however tempered glass will mostly likely not be offered at initial KS campaign. I may well contact whoever bought a case for special discount at a later stage. But NOTE that it is not possible to have stamped out tempered glass grills, so one need to use AIO cooler with this.

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
Design Update:
  • side panels mounting screw holes incorporated into the core design to allow for later optional tempered glass panels, however tempered glass will mostly likely not be offered at initial KS campaign. I may well contact whoever bought a case for special discount at a later stage. But NOTE that it is not possible to have stamped out tempered glass grills, so one need to use AIO cooler with this.

Keep in mind holes on the glass has to be at least 1.5x the thickness of the glass away from the edge when u design the mounting solution :thumb:

Reactions: owliwar

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Keep in mind holes on the glass has to be at least 1.5x the thickness of the glass away from the edge when u design the mounting solution :thumb:
There is currently 3mm gap for the side panels, guess with 4mm glass, it may stick out by 1mm... Not sure if 3mm tempered glass is thick enough.

ron095

Caliper Novice
May 28, 2018
Yeah I think sliding panels while cool would make a bit of a hassle to deal with when a stack is in place.

I hope there will be some more unique external design changes, just to help differentiate the case even more from other models with a similar layout.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Yeah I think sliding panels while cool would make a bit of a hassle to deal with when a stack is in place.

I hope there will be some more unique external design changes, just to help differentiate the case even more from other models with a similar layout.

I have refrained from commenting other people's project, and I always want everyone to do well with their business. I just try to focus on my own, which is more than a handful already. But this issue has been brought up a few times. I guess it is inevitable that I have to respond more directly to this at some time, rather than hoping everyone will notice or appreciate some of the differences, which I agree may not be so obvious

I understand your point, I will see what I can adjust. But the advancement I made maybe is more under the hood

Let me create a list of "What is different about EG-Model One" (in most cases comparing with that of our Swedish friends) ;)
  • No sliding panels, all attached with magnetic tapes. Much easier access to internals.
  • There are no screws showing on the outside of the case (top, side front or back), except for the GFX card flange. I think this is quite unique design cue.
  • Option of tempered glass panels, already incorporated into the design, user can even do their own mods in this regard
  • Top panel is attached by magnet
  • All panels can be easily detached even with stack unit installed
  • Custom feet in Al, matching the curve and aesthetics of the body
  • Dust filter in the bottom panel intake, with 20mm air clearance created by the feet
  • *** The cooling stack unit can be genuinely installed in top OR bottom of the case. It is NOT achieved by turning the case upside down
  • Case and stack unit created with sheet metal, NOT by extrusion i.e. TOTALLY different manufacturing process and structure
Those who are familiar with Ghost S1 can correct me if I am wrong. Although it has not been clearly explained how its "top"-hat is installed at the bottom, but my understanding is that it is always installed in the same position. It is claimed to be positioned "top or bottom" by turning the whole case upside down or downside up, whatever you call it, and then swapping the top and bottom panel. Result is that, which I can not find in any photos or illustrations, the power button may move up to the top half of the case, if the top-hat is installed at the "bottom". Maybe they should have designed the power button bang in the center. Then it may be less noticeable, but still the I/Os at the back will be all upside down.

Of course I am not discussing some other features such as grilled panels, materials used, internal layout, etc. which in my opinion is common to many other cases. After all my main objective is to make a desirable product, and as mentioned before I will not shy away from borrowing ideas from others but I will also try to improve on those. Advancement is different from straight up copying.

Last edited: