Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Are you looking for something like this? It is possible, and certainly less expensive than all of the cutting. Do you think that going with an option like that will alter peoples' perception of your case too much though? It definitely feels lower quality to me then an all laser cut panel.

Yea something like that, but probably with a more refined finishing, the mesh should be bent in the edges so that the surface lays level with the panel (looks more like a single piece), like so:

Last edited:

allison_Protocase

Chassis Packer
Protocase
Jul 2, 2015
www.protocase.com
Thanks @FullForceRainbow for linking to us. Using perforated metal in the design would definitely be more cost-effective than laser-cutting a custom pattern of hundreds of holes!

We can attach perforated metal to an enclosure by welding or using self-clinching fasteners (in this case, welding would give you a more seamless look). But there will be a slight step-down from the enclosure material to the perforated - won't be completely flush.

Either way, @macbosco, love the design - looks awesome! :)

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
Are you looking for something like this? It is possible, and certainly less expensive than all of the cutting. Do you think that going with an option like that will alter peoples' perception of your case too much though? It definitely feels lower quality to me then an all laser cut panel.
That looks cheap. And I'm sure other will feel the same as well.
I'm all for putting a dust mesh behind laser cut holes, but not as a replacement.
I feel like this would alter people perspective as a knock-off/cheaper version of Dan's A4 case {which I hope not) because it looks premium from the sketches .

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
... This three point is too weak, easy to be bend.

Thanks for your comments, I did think about those points, don't know if it helps much with the above adjustment. Nevertheless I would think the brackets onto the front and back panel should also keep the mid-plate upright also. I think my approach requires more on all parts/panels attached together and interlocking with each other to have good strength on all the 3 axis.

Also I have plan to use steel in the internal structure, only leaving front/back and top panel with aluminum, to provide better structural strength.

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com

Thanks for your comments, I did think about those points, don't know if it helps much with the above adjustment. Nevertheless I would think the brackets onto the front and back panel should also keep the mid-plate upright also. I think my approach requires more on all parts/panels attached together and interlocking with each other to have good strength on all the 3 axis.

Also I have plan to use steel in the internal structure, only leaving front/back and top panel with aluminum, to provide better structural strength.
I don't want to talk many about one problem.
see that:

I think you need to reinforce this two area, it will be bend by PSU.
See this one to know how 15mm SS304 easy to be bend:

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
NOTE: Please always try to check back on the 1st post, where I will update the latest info about the development

[Update 2 Apr 2018]

Specification / Features:
- mini ITX motherboard
- SFX/SFX-L PSU
- GFX card 300mm length
- at least one 2.5" drive mount
- 65mm passive cooler/heatsink
- stackable with AIO cooler/rad

Below are some update design of the case. Note the top and bottom of the T/H structure serves as a bracket for the standoffs/studs that are fixed on the front and back panels. This avoids screw holes showing up in the exterior.

Also I try to use symmetry in my design, I like things balanced ;). Note the front and back panels are from 2 same shaped panels, just with different cut outs, the bends, brackets and side clips are all the same. Hope this reduce build costs also. As with magnetic fastener for the side panels, I have found some small magnets but need to figure how to fix that in securely.

Last edited:

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Just a project status update:

More details and pictures on my first post

Design features summary
- no screws can be seen externally, except for those on the pcie card flange (all screws hidden at the bottom and inside)
- side panels to be fastened using magnetic tape/strip
- parts are designed so that the whole case can be dismantled completely
- product will be shipped in IKEA form (compact), this should lower shipping costs and simplify logistics, and give a total DIY experience to users
- perforated steel vs laser cut holes - undecided, will confirm after discussion with manufacturer, issues - lead time, costs

Schedule
1) First version of CAD - done
2) Contact manufacturer and discussion - to be done in 1-2 weeks
3) Update design to suit manufacturing process - to be done in 1-2 weeks
4) Start prototype production - in 2 weeks the latest (or earlier if no major issues)
5) Stack unit design - to be completed in 1 week
6) Send stack design to manufacturer - in 1 week
7) Prototype assessment - in 3 to weeks

Last edited:

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I have designed a stackable unit for AIO coolers (240 cooler x1 OR 120 cooler + HDD tray) plus possibly USB connections. It uses compatible brackets as the main unit. As design of this case is symmetrical the stackable unit can fit top or bottom with no issues. I will complete design of the holes and grills for the holding tray.

The 4 sides of the hollow shaped stack unit will be welded together using plates. I suspect this maybe cheaper than aluminum extrusion? Your experience and information is appreciated. Furthermore, I suspect that for higher/taller dimensions there are issues with shrinking and twisting around the waist from extrusion, and thus increase failure rate and wastage.

My plan is to have all parts to be prototype at the same time, so to avoid any issues at a later stage.

lauheiyeung

Caliper Novice
Nov 25, 2017
I have designed a stackable unit for AIO coolers (240 cooler x1 OR 120 cooler + HDD tray) plus possibly USB connections. It uses compatible brackets as the main unit. As design of this case is symmetrical the stackable unit can fit top or bottom with no issues. I will complete design of the holes and grills for the holding tray.

The 4 sides of the hollow shaped stack unit will be welded together using plates. I suspect this maybe cheaper than aluminum extrusion? Your experience and information is appreciated. Furthermore, I suspect that for higher/taller dimensions there are issues with shrinking and twisting around the waist from extrusion, and thus increase failure rate and wastage.

My plan is to have all parts to be prototype at the same time, so to avoid any issues at a later stage.

Um......
It is a nice case with nice design for sure
But it as well looks so similar to Ghost S1, do you have plans to add some more original element(s) based on the current design?

Reactions: Phuncz and macbosco

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
... do you have plans to add some more original element(s) based on the current design?
At current state, the internal structure is completely different, though external may be similar. I have added refinements over Ghost S1, including:
- target price of USD150-180 (below USD200 is an absolute target for myself)
- IKEA style package for construction
- feet for better air clearnace
- dust filter at the bottom
- magnetic side and top panels for easy access (vs slide in)
- top panel is different cutout
- perforated panel vs laser cut holes

Planned enhancements:
- RGB lighting

Your suggestions are welcome. Adding more features without compromising the size is a bonus.

Last edited:

lauheiyeung

Caliper Novice
Nov 25, 2017
At current state, the internal structure is complete different, though external may be similar. I have added refinements over Ghost S1, including:
- target price of USD150-180 (below USD200 is an absolute target for myself)
- IKEA style package for construction
- feet for better air clearnace
- dust filter at the bottom
- magnetic side and top panels for easy access (vs slide in)
- top panel is different cutout
- perforated panel vs laser cut holes

Planned enhancements:
- RGB lighting

Your suggestions are welcome. Adding more features without compromising the size is a bonus.
Personally I would value dust filters on the sides more than at the bottom, if it can be done within budget.
Also, how many 2.5" drives can be installed if sfx power supply is used? Since I can't see it mentioned as the pervious posts stated "at least one"
Lastly, will there be multiple color options?
In generally I like the case design a lot as well as the targeted price range! Good work man!

Reactions: macbosco

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Personally I would value dust filters on the sides more than at the bottom, if it can be done within budget.
Also, how many 2.5" drives can be installed if sfx power supply is used? Since I can't see it mentioned as the pervious posts stated "at least one"
Lastly, will there be multiple color options?
In generally I like the case design a lot as well as the targeted price range! Good work man!

Side filters is possible, but may require thinner cpu heatsink/fan, there is a 3mm clearance from a 65mm height cpu cooler. I will test it out once have the prototype. For such small distances, it is better to experiment with real life samples.

I haven't thought about allowing 2 ssd hdd, current caddy is only for 1, I don't know if there is much demand for 2? (except from you? :) ). I am cautiously generous with space below PSU as wiring can be messy based on earlier similar designs (Dan & Ghost S1).

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I am currently using 2 in my MI-6, a 960GB SSD for games and a 2TB HDD for storage. For me this setup works very well.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I am currently using 2 in my MI-6, a 960GB SSD for games and a 2TB HDD for storage. For me this setup works very well.
3.5" HDD is not possible with this kind of form factor. I may try to find space to fit 1 more 2.5" HDD if possible. Things are ideal when designing under CAD, but it can turn out just not possible in real life when wires take up quite a bit of space also. That's why I can only commit any extras after I have completed the 1st prototype.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Update 13 Apr 2018

Below are some photos of my initial design complete in CAD. I will be contacting some manufacturers to discuss technical details and estimate the cost of production. My plan is to have a prototype made first, then if all fits well I will proceed with a small production of 10-20 units. Anyone interested can let me know.

Things to do: 1) Start design and draft for stack unit, 2) Research on colour ways, 3) Prepare for any technical issues from manufacturers, 4) Packaging design