Prototype DYAD - SUB $100 13.5L AIR/WATER COOLING

coletrain94

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Feb 3, 2020

Hello all,

@U_killed_kinney and I have been working on a new enclosure as we, like many of you, were not satisfied with those currently available on the market. The DYAD is intended to be the simplest SFF case possible while still accommodating top end components. The reason for this simplicity is two-fold: to reduce the price and to make SFF builds more accessible to the general population.

A render of the current version of the DYAD design

Technical
  • Dimensions (H x W x D)
    • 160 mm X 250mm X 338mm (6.3” X 9.8" X 13.3")
  • Volume
    • ~13.5L
  • Material
    • Injection molded ABS

Compatibility
  • Motherboard Support
    • mITX
  • PSU Support
    • SFX, SFX-L, ATX (SFX-L and ATX may limit GPU length)
  • CPU Cooler Support
    • Air - 140mm
    • Liquid - 240mm
  • GPU Support
    • Height: Up to 140mm (recommend use of 180 degree PCIE power)
    • Length: Up to 320mm
    • Width: Up to 3 slot
  • Storage Support
    • Currently none
  • Cooling Support
    • Rear
      • 1x 92mm or 80mm fan
    • Side
      • 2x 120mm or 140mm fan

Options
  • Panels
    • Vented
    • Window
    • Custom

Projected price
  • Sub-$100

Please answer our (short) survey to assist with development!
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...N3DGLvmyV4WL7LnupfYdEX8g/viewform?usp=sf_link

Last edited:
Reactions: U_killed_kinney

U_killed_kinney

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 3, 2020

We are currently working on getting a prototype made over the next several weeks. We want to use that as a platform to improve the design and see what works. We will post pictures of the results once it is complete.

U_killed_kinney

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 3, 2020
mind elaborating more on your plan as to what the materials are and how it would be manufactured? i.e. stainless steel, aluminum, etc? and would it be cnc'ed or bent sheet metal? all this factors into the cost. so far youre promising much of nothing imho
Our current plan is injection molded plastic. We are currently looking at the different types of materials to find which would be best for this application. Part of our prototyping will be looking into the overall capabilities of these materials to assure a quality case at an affordable price. The second lid option show above would potentially have removable metal panels on the three sides of the lid. After launch, we will provide the panel dimensions for anyone to 3D print their own designs at home.

Last edited:

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
If you plan offering this for <$100 using injection moulded panels, I think you'll need to sell a LOT of cases just to break even on the tooling. Injection mould dies are hella pricey

Reactions: U_killed_kinney

U_killed_kinney

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 3, 2020
If you plan offering this for <$100 using injection moulded panels, I think you'll need to sell a LOT of cases just to break even on the tooling. Injection mould dies are hella pricey
Yes it definitely can be. We have already taken that into account. I am a tooling engineer myself so I have kept that in mind during the design phase. That is why we are here! We want to see the interest in a design like this for the price point, as well as get input on what you all may like to see from this case.

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Yes it definitely can be. We have already taken that into account. I am a tooling engineer myself so I have kept that in mind during the design phase. That is why we are here! We want to see the interest in a design like this for the price point, as well as get input on what you all may like to see from this case.

Heck, if you are actually able to progress to a viable design and can offer it for the price you're aiming for, I'd get one just to support this project, it's a fairly sensible layout based on the renders, and have cheaper options should help get more people into this niche!

U_killed_kinney

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 3, 2020
Heck, if you are actually able to progress to a viable design and can offer it for the price you're aiming for, I'd get one just to support this project, it's a fairly sensible layout based on the renders, and have cheaper options should help get more people into this niche!
That's definitely our goal. We've noticed there aren't many options for an SFF case that can still fit some of the larger and more modern components on the market while staying under $100. Once we finalize the idea and test a prototype out we plan on going to kickstarter. If we meet our goal we will have everything lined up to get this out there sooner rather then later.