Completed DSE Breathe - A 7.3L Vertical Format ITX Tower

Wingchung

Efficiency Noob
Jan 6, 2018
Very interested in black. I like the changes in v2 as well - looks like a lot of improvements were made!

@DSE - do you know approximately how much the new case weighs? I know you mentioned that you made weight reductions (which I'm a fan of), but curious much much lighter it is compared to v1.

Reactions: DSE

Wantabiggercpu

Trash Compacter
Feb 8, 2018
I really like this vertical cases because of the small footprint. I think footprint is what really matters on the desk not only volume! In fact I can have nearly two of these instead of one DAN A4 in terms of footprint. That is insane.

PS: How to buy it?

bkydcmpr

Caliper Novice
Apr 16, 2017
Also, any chance to re-use the v1 vent design? I really liked it, or maybe just something other than circles?
This is really personal preference, I actually prefer the opposite. Hopefully once the case got enough fans @DSE may give more panel options just like the color.

DKsystem

Average Stuffer
Sep 13, 2016
Nice to see the case revisioned.

As of 1.5 months of use, I have 2 more suggestions.

1. Carrying handle might come handy, attaached to the top face or the narrow side.
2. Smoothing the feet : i felt those feet too spiky carrying in a backpack.

These might conflict with your primary value: simplicity ;
but might be worth considering(or you've considered it already i guess)

Also, regarding the colored versions
unifying colors of inner frame (maybe black i guess) might save some cost.

Cheers

bkydcmpr

Caliper Novice
Apr 16, 2017
1. Carrying handle might come handy, attaached to the top face or the narrow side.
I agree, but I don't pin high hope on smooth steel feet, they have to be rubber. Maybe just some snuggly rubber "boots" would work, there are some companies make custom rubber parts in low volume, here is one: https://www.protolabs.com/services/injection-molding/on-demand-manufacturing/
A carrying handle will be really handy, at least the case could leave 2 reinforced side holes at the right location to install handle later on, fans can have more options for their own, like installing a full grain leather handle, or a ballistic nylon handle/strap with bolt and nut or some quick release buckles.

Last edited:

renecop545

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 2, 2018
+1 for the v1 vent design, I think it looked really unique (although I probably won't buy a Breathe until v3 cause I'm still broke and GPU prices are still so damn high T.T)

Cheers

Maybe an optional bottom cover could be created for v3? Would make transportation easier and allow for laying the case on the side without having to stare at the spiky feet or recessed bottom. Perhaps something like this?

Last edited:
Reactions: rosinbole and DSE

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
I want. Tell me how. Please tell me.
Estimating ~$175. Give me a few weeks. I'm trying to get a website set up this time around so you guys won't have to order through a google form like last time lol.

@DSE, in for red!

Also, any chance to re-use the v1 vent design? I really liked it, or maybe just something other than circles?
Unlikely, since the spacing of the original vent design doesn't allow it to really fit on V2, like it actually doesn't exactly fit in the same space that the staggered circles do. I had to change the old vent pattern by moving the slots closer together in order for it to fit. This is what that looks like. Still not an exact fit.

I don't know, I just like the circles more. They look more simple and regular.

Very interested in black. I like the changes in v2 as well - looks like a lot of improvements were made!

@DSE - do you know approximately how much the new case weighs? I know you mentioned that you made weight reductions (which I'm a fan of), but curious much much lighter it is compared to v1.
Thank you. 2.7 kg for V2 vs. 2.6 kg for the prototype, so it's not actually lighter, but the weight reductions I made were done to reduce the impact of the inherent weight gained from the 16mm height increase. If I didn't make the weight reductions, then the case might have weighed an extra 200g more.

i just wish this case fit a 2.5 slot card ... or that i bought the ftw3 over the strix 1080ti
Heh, maybe me designing a Breathe X is in order? ;)

I really like this vertical cases because of the small footprint. I think footprint is what really matters on the desk not only volume! In fact I can have nearly two of these instead of one DAN A4 in terms of footprint. That is insane.

PS: How to buy it?
Exactly. On the desk, a case is only as small as its footprint.
Hoping to get my website up for orders soon.

This is really personal preference, I actually prefer the opposite. Hopefully once the case got enough fans @DSE may give more panel options just like the color.
Definitely a possibility.

I'm interested in gray one. Could you tell me gray one's RGB color code?
(84,85,88)

Cheers
Yep, optional carrying handle is something I want to add now (eating my words from before lol), but I haven't been able to find a suitable M3 threaded handle with the right spacing so that it doesn't interfere with the motherboard tray. Just a sourcing problem. Definitely will add the handle to later batches if I can source a suitable one.

Just flip the case over when putting it in your backpack so the top is pointed down? That way so the feet are facing the top and aren't poking the bottom of your backpack. I have thought about changing the feet in the past, but I was hesitant since they're really a defining feature of how the case looks.

Good point on the black internal frame.

+1 for the v1 vent design, I think it looked really unique (although I probably won't buy a Breathe until v3 cause I'm still broke and GPU prices are still so damn high T.T)

Maybe an optional bottom cover could be created for v3? Would make transportation easier and allow for laying the case on the side without have to stare at the spiky feet or recessed bottom. Maybe something like this?

lol, I feel you dude. GPU prices are insane. I honestly can't understand people who are building computers right now.

Bottom can't be completely covered, since the bottom is where the PSU exhausts its hot air. Power cord still comes out the bottom though, so you would be ok with a power cord coming out the side of the front of your case?

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
@DSE, I understand, I will say the v1 vent design really made your case stand out from the rest of other case makers here. Though seeing your render, the extra space on the sides really do make the vent spacing unbalanced.

...though if the off chance there was an option to cut out v1 vents for one or a few cases in v2 run at no extra cost, that would be my primary choice.

What about making the holes slightly smaller, but more rows and more closer together? I'm being very nitpicky now, don't mean to come off as offensive or as a smartass, but there is just something about the larger circle hole vents that make it seem a little less sleek?

Also, @DKsystem I've been looking into "picatinny" rails in combination with camera cage handles that could potentially serve as a modular setup that you can easily buy on amazon, and take it off when you don't need it. The vent design is perfect for it, no need for modding or drilling out mounting holes for handles. Since its picatinny rails, you can also fasten a variety of different attachments (i.e. camera mounts, small monitor mounts, etc.).

renecop545

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 2, 2018
Estimating ~$175. Give me a few weeks. I'm trying to get a website set up this time around so you guys won't have to order through a google form like last time lol.

Unlikely, since the spacing of the original vent design doesn't allow it to really fit on V2, like it actually doesn't exactly fit in the same space that the staggered circles do. I had to change the old vent pattern by moving the slots closer together in order for it to fit. This is what that looks like. Still not an exact fit.

I don't know, I just like the circles more. They look more simple and regular.

Thank you. 2.7 kg for V2 vs. 2.6 kg for the prototype, so it's not actually lighter, but the weight reductions I made were done to reduce the impact of the inherent weight gained from the 16mm height increase. If I didn't make the weight reductions, then the case might have weighed an extra 200g more.

Heh, maybe me designing a Breathe X is in order? ;)

Exactly. On the desk, a case is only as small as its footprint.
Hoping to get my website up for orders soon.

Definitely a possibility.

(84,85,88)

Yep, optional carrying handle is something I want to add now (eating my words from before lol), but I haven't been able to find a suitable M3 threaded handle with the right spacing so that it doesn't interfere with the motherboard tray. Just a sourcing problem. Definitely will add the handle to later batches if I can source a suitable one.

Just flip the case over when putting it in your backpack so the top is pointed down? That way so the feet are facing the top and aren't poking the bottom of your backpack. I have thought about changing the feet in the past, but I was hesitant since they're really a defining feature of how the case looks.

Good point on the black internal frame.

lol, I feel you dude. GPU prices are insane. I honestly can't understand people who are building computers right now.

Bottom can't be completely covered, since the bottom is where the PSU exhausts its hot air. Power cord still comes out the bottom though, so you would be ok with a power cord coming out the side of the front of your case?

Well what if the cover were perforated and/or only wrapped 2 of the 4 sides on the bottom? E.g. the basic outline would look like this, but with perforations:

That way you could keep the case the exact same, but then for transportation/laying the case on it's side you can pop on the cover and take it off as needed. The PSU would still be able to exhaust as well. Thoughts?

EDIT: Ok I totally missed this the first time, but now I realized what you meant by the PSU power cord exits out the bottom (I always thought that that you ran a male to female power plug to the top of the case since I saw in @DKsystem's build log a bundled power cord). How difficult would it be to change the design so that the PSU power port is at the top of the case where the rest of the I/O are?

Last edited:

bkydcmpr

Caliper Novice
Apr 16, 2017
After consideration I decided to build one with Breathe for small footprint and one with Ghost for bigger heatsink. I just pre-ordered the Ghost with the large top.

I hope the new Breathe has the similar grid like the Ghost, they will look great side by side, will post a picture once got them.

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
@DSE, I understand, I will say the v1 vent design really made your case stand out from the rest of other case makers here. Though seeing your render, the extra space on the sides really do make the vent spacing unbalanced.

...though if the off chance there was an option to cut out v1 vents for one or a few cases in v2 run at no extra cost, that would be my primary choice.

What about making the holes slightly smaller, but more rows and more closer together? I'm being very nitpicky now, don't mean to come off as offensive or as a smartass, but there is just something about the larger circle hole vents that make it seem a little less sleek?

Also, @DKsystem I've been looking into "picatinny" rails in combination with camera cage handles that could potentially serve as a modular setup that you can easily buy on amazon, and take it off when you don't need it. The vent design is perfect for it, no need for modding or drilling out mounting holes for handles. Since its picatinny rails, you can also fasten a variety of different attachments (i.e. camera mounts, small monitor mounts, etc.).
I see. I don't know, personally, I've felt the opposite. I've come to be less fond of the staggered slots over time since they don't look premium to me. I'll consider changing the holes if I can figure something else out, no worries. Vent pattern isn't completely final yet.

Well what if the cover were perforated and/or only wrapped 2 of the 4 sides on the bottom? E.g. the basic outline would look like this, but with perforations:

That way you could keep the case the exact same, but then for transportation/laying the case on it's side you can pop on the cover and take it off as needed. The PSU would still be able to exhaust as well. Thoughts?

EDIT: Ok I totally missed this the first time, but now I realized what you meant by the PSU power cord exits out the bottom (I always thought that that you ran a male to female power plug to the top of the case since I saw in @DKsystem's build log a bundled power cord). How difficult would it be to change the design so that the PSU power port is at the top of the case where the rest of the I/O are?
Hard, since there's no space in the top panel to fit the power inlet other than on top of the graphics card, which would limit maximum graphics card height to reference and similar sized cards.

After consideration I decided to build one with Breathe for small footprint and one with Ghost for bigger heatsink. I just pre-ordered the Ghost with the large top.

I hope the new Breathe has the similar grid like the Ghost, they will look great side by side, will post a picture once got them.
Looking forward to seeing it! Vent pattern isn't final yet, so maybe it will.

Last edited:
Reactions: renecop545

DSE

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
DSE
Feb 8, 2017
Just curious, would you guys be interested in the Breathe (or a separate variation of the Breathe) being a tad bit larger for support for larger CPU coolers?

Because I was messing around last night and I think I might have stumbled upon two new case ideas.

First one is pretty similar to the current Breathe, except the I/O and power are at the bottom (cable haters rejoice) and it supports larger CPU coolers.

The second one is bigger. I/O and power are also at the bottom. Compatible with graphics cards 2.5 slots thick. Water cooling capable. This one would be about ~10.5L for reference. A Breathe X?

I feel like the first one holds more promise.

I'm working on the models right now, so I'll have some renders out when I'm done.

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
I see. I don't know, personally, I've felt the opposite. I've come to be less fond of the staggered slots over time since they don't look premium to me. I'll consider changing the holes if I can figure something else out, no worries. Vent pattern isn't completely final yet.

Seems like you're set on the design, its not bad by any means, I was more concerned about the actual hole size. For reference, I'm looking at dan case, cerberus, and ncase m1, they all utilize smalller and more condensed hole vents, which imo looks more polished.

Curious about the breathe x, would it be wider or have have more depth(front to back), besides being taller?