Completed DeskNano x300 - a 1.2L replacement for the DeskMini a300/x300

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Hmm that's unfortunate. No, there's nothing to configure. Its plug and play as long as you power up the GPU first. Sometimes it doesn't detect GPU first try for me (first boot after hooking it up) but works from then on.

Last edited:

NegativeONE

Average Stuffer
Apr 8, 2022
This is a pretty cool little project mate, how do these systems go when using them? just similar to the 5600G/5700g etc on any other SFF build?

Reactions: msystems

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Pretty much the same, except that its easier to find officially rated high speed memory on ITX. Since Ryzen APU performance scales so well with memory (up to 30% more fps), you have to get a little lucky on overclocking the memory to hit speeds above 3200mhz. Whereas on ITX you can buy a 3600 or 4000mhz kit pretty easily.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alucard

BellySyrup

Case Bender
New User
Jul 9, 2022
I've got one printed out, sitting on my desk next to my monitor with a deskmini and 5700g in my amazon wishlist just taunting me. I recently found this post on reddit where a user got an email response from asrock that the x600 deskmini would be coming february/march of 2023. Do you have plans to update the desknano for any i/o changes coming to the x600 deskmini.

Mind you the screenshot he posted is heavily censored, so I'll believe it when I see it. Not to mention I haven't seen any am5 apus yet.

Reactions: rfarmer

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
I've got one printed out, sitting on my desk next to my monitor with a deskmini and 5700g in my amazon wishlist just taunting me. I recently found this post on reddit where a user got an email response from asrock that the x600 deskmini would be coming february/march of 2023. Do you have plans to update the desknano for any i/o changes coming to the x600 deskmini.

Mind you the screenshot he posted is heavily censored, so I'll believe it when I see it. Not to mention I haven't seen any am5 apus yet.

Support for Deskmini AM5 (but also, ALL Deskmini models including Intel variants) will be continued under the "Moonbase" metacase project.

Moonbase STX is slightly larger than Desknano x300 in order to accommodate the I/O panel for all Deskmini models, and to relocate the antennas a different way, so the base volume is approximately 1.5L.

A sub-design specifically for DeskMini x600 might possibly be developed once I know more about the specs of the next gen APUs and ASRock's design and rear i/o.

Most likely the DeskMini x600 will have much more rear I/O so the AM4 shell design won't be compatible. It would have to be completely from scratch.

Last edited:

phence

Case Bender
New User
Dec 16, 2022
@msystems may I suggest some product ideas?

1. STX backplate for installation of STX in ITX/mATX/ATX case, similar to the silver plate that comes with normal PC motherboards). Allows us to reuse ITX or other cases.
2. 3.5" or 5.25" bay to STX mounting bracket (mount STX in HDD/ODD bay in PC Case). I have this idea as I'd love to have a cluster of STX boards in a PC case for my homelab! :D
3. STX to 120 or 140mm fan mounting bracket. So if you have a spare fan mount in your normal PC case, you can mount a STX motherboard in it.

Thank you. <3

Reactions: msystems

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
@msystems may I suggest some product ideas?

1. STX backplate for installation of STX in ITX/mATX/ATX case, similar to the silver plate that comes with normal PC motherboards). Allows us to reuse ITX or other cases.
2. 3.5" or 5.25" bay to STX mounting bracket (mount STX in HDD/ODD bay in PC Case). I have this idea as I'd love to have a cluster of STX boards in a PC case for my homelab! :D
3. STX to 120 or 140mm fan mounting bracket. So if you have a spare fan mount in your normal PC case, you can mount a STX motherboard in it.

Thank you. <3

Sorry for taking a while to respond just super slammed. Great ideas and I'm interested in coming up with some more integrations for homelab on the next project. It might be possible to fit a stx board into a 5.25". The board dimensions are about 140mm wide, which I believe would nicely fit into the bay area, but if it's to fit in a half-height slot, then it would need a very low profile cooler (~30mm) with the 1U blower design which isn't really that great (but perhaps, perfectly fine for low loads or if noise isn't a concern). If it was to be used with two half-height slots though, then it could use a traditional cooler since there is more than enough space.

Mahe

What's an ITX?
New User
Jan 1, 2023
2-Slot, 200mm length "Pico" version of the GPU module has been built. Room for one SSD was integrated.

Compatibility:
Length- 201mm max with the Pico, or unlimited with external power
Width- 2 slots
Height- Reference height recommended, but the module can be inverted for more height and the input power socket relocated
Input Voltage- 16 to 24v with the Pico
TDP- Less than 200w with the Pico

Full writeup is posted on egpu.io

Files

Although this version is super compact, making the cabling for the Pico is not very fun, so i'd only recommend going the Pico route it if you really enjoy modding and making cables. And the reliability of the Pico is unknown.

The HDPlex version will be much more "off the shelf" and doesn't need any custom cables, except for the latching switch, which is optional (it can just be jumpered "on" permanently).
Hi, i really love this build, but i only have ADT-LINK R43SG Riser, will you make the R43SG version in the future? im using Dell DA2 PSU, i dont mind carrying 2 adapters.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Hi, i really love this build, but i only have ADT-LINK R43SG Riser, will you make the R43SG version in the future? im using Dell DA2 PSU, i dont mind carrying 2 adapters.

Unfortunately R43SG is too large to fit and I'm no longer developing new modules, but I did publish the adapter hole pattern template for anyone wishing to make their own expansion modules.

The risers that will work with the existing adapters are R43UH 4.0 10cm, R43UL 4.0 10cm on this page, + possibly some of the 3.0 risers of similar design. These risers only need two wires for +12v, and not all the ATX input plugs which the R43SG has.

The benefit of using these condensed risers is is it's much less of a cable rats nest and can be concealed cleanly. Of course this comes at the expense of needing custom wiring. XT-90 to Y-split the input to the riser and presumably an 8-pin pcie. I realize it's not practical, so only a few people will go to the trouble of making custom cables, however, trying to support GPU on the deskmini with standard cables and standard ATX power input (like Minisforum b550 tried below) is a bit impractical as well, so customizing the wiring is a must either way, if you want a clean build.

Reactions: Curiosity

tzeusd

Case Bender
New User
Mar 28, 2023
@msystems

Congrats, I think what you're doing is amazing!

I've bit the bullet last year and got a deskmini and found out later that I can't use it for a NAS/server build due to the case not allowing 2.5 drives thicker than 7.5mm.
I now have three questions:
1. Would I have to buy the case AND the extension from your store(since I don't have access to a printer) in order to be able to put two 15 mm drives in it?
2. Would the power supply be able to accomodate that? I know 2 drives won't use as much power and I don't game on it, but it does run a hypervisor and multiple VM's, and will probably hold some more.
3. This is kind of in your detriment(as I wouldn't buy from your store) but since it's a hobby, I'm just searching for the best solution for me and you seem like a nice guy overall. Are there any other options I have in order to be able to put 2x5TB 2.5 HDD's ? I couldn't find any other case online(but perhaps my search was not enough).

Thanks!

Reactions: rfarmer

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
The oem case can be modded by cuttout out or flattening the original drive standoffs with a hammer, after this, taller drives will fit (sort of):

Drives can also be modded into the top side like this & using a heatsink which is not too tall:

tzeusd

Case Bender
New User
Mar 28, 2023
The oem case can be modded by cuttout out or flattening the original drive standoffs with a hammer, after this, taller drives will fit (sort of):

Drives can also be modded into the top side like this & using a heatsink which is not too tall:
It seems like I need to cut out more pieces, 6 screw thingies and 3 raised bits. Or the top mod if the heatsink allows it.
Which approach would you go to? It seems to me the top mount is easier, but I'm worried about airflow and temps.
Thanks!

kevpatts

Cable Smoosher
Jul 2, 2019
Hey @msystems, still using this machine daily and loving it. I'm looking to push it almost to the max and I'm looking to install 2 SATA SSDs as well as the 2 M.2 SSDs already in it. I think it's reasonable to expect a 1.2L PC to have 32GB RAM and 20Tb of SSDs!! ;)

Just wondering if you've ever made a back panel that can accommodate 2 SATA SSDs? They look like they would just barely fit.

Reactions: Curiosity

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Hey @msystems, still using this machine daily and loving it. I'm looking to push it almost to the max and I'm looking to install 2 SATA SSDs as well as the 2 M.2 SSDs already in it. I think it's reasonable to expect a 1.2L PC to have 32GB RAM and 20Tb of SSDs!! ;)

Just wondering if you've ever made a back panel that can accommodate 2 SATA SSDs? They look like they would just barely fit.

So, not as a deeper tray, but as a separate part attached to the tray it's in the printables link. There is a version for 1x 7mm ssd (ssd caddy) and 2x 15mm ssd

If you wanted to fit them on the inside of the original tray design, it may be possible by scaling up the Z height of that part by 200%+ and using "negative modifier" with the "slab" model in the slicer to remove extra thickness from the base

Last edited: