Prototype DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

heckinwoofer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 14, 2017
Motherboard compatibility is also pretty bad with the 120mm fan. But if you have a mobo that fits, then yeah I'll take a cooler and quieter system over a slightly faster RAM.

SiG

Trash Compacter
Oct 8, 2017
Can a 120mm fan be used if I, say, use the Asus ROG Crosshair Impact Mini-DTX with Corsair Vengance LPX RAM?

heckinwoofer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 14, 2017
Can a 120mm fan be used if I, say, use the Asus ROG Crosshair Impact Mini-DTX with Corsair Vengance LPX RAM?
No, for the slim 120mm fan config you need VLP ram, which are shorter than the Corsair LPX. Even then I am not sure it can fit in the Impact considering how large the board components are.

SiG

Trash Compacter
Oct 8, 2017
No, for the slim 120mm fan config you need VLP ram, which are shorter than the Corsair LPX. Even then I am not sure it can fit in the Impact considering how large the board components are.
I should've made myself more clear: I'm refering to the ROG Crosshair VIII in particular. They seemed to have cleard the space around the CPU t allow for more coolers, and the SO.DIMM.2 riser card for the M.2 drives is optional, so it could be removed if more space is needed.

heckinwoofer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 14, 2017
I should've made myself more clear: I'm refering to the ROG Crosshair VIII in particular. They seemed to have cleard the space around the CPU t allow for more coolers, and the SO.DIMM.2 riser card for the M.2 drives is optional, so it could be removed if more space is needed.
It's not about the M.2 expansion. It's about the size of the I/O and heatsink, position of the power connectors as well as the socket. I have the Gigabyte Z370N. As you can see this board has much smaller heatsinks than the Impact. It looks comparatively sparse, but still the Black Ridge + 120mm fan does not fit without modifications.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
This is only speculation but through the magic of pixel counting it looks like the whole board is ~302px (from the image I downloaded.) If the board is then 170mm, then the ratio of pixels/mm is ~1.776p/mm. When cropping out the rear I/o(and vrm heatsink) and the ddr4 slots(because Corsair lpx is too tall for the under the fan 120mm) I'm left with ~188px. 188/1.776 = ~105mm. If the vertical space is no matter (given you could remove the so.dimm riser) the horizontal space still would Not allow for it. If you use VLP ram however it may work. There are other potential clearence issues, but im not certain if it would or wouldn't work with vlp.

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
I just wanted to share my little testing comparison I've done between the new released Noctua NH-L9i chromax.black vs. Alpenföhn Black Ridge with you guys:

Testing was done by running 5x Cinebench R15 in a row:

Noctua NH-L9i chromax.black + NF-A9x14 (92mm):
Min. 33°C
Max. 89°C

Alpenföhn Black Ridge + NF-A9x14 (92mm):
Min. 35°C
Max 84°C

During the test I've used the MSI B450i with latested AGESA 1003 ABBA and a RYZEN 3600 fixed on 4.2GHz all-core with 1.3875v + LCC Mode 3 (~1.40v under load) and 16GB Corsair LPX 3600MHz XMP CL18-22-22-42 (FCLK:MCLK:UCLK ratio 1:1) For both tests the same amount and thermalpaste was used with both coolers using the Noctua 92mm fan to get a better impression of the heatsinks performance.

In the previous Video I've tested the Black ridge with its stock 92mm fan, aswell with the Noctua NF-A12x15 (slim 120mm) fan configuration.
If you are interested in the results:

Alpenföhn Black Ridge + Stock Fan (92mm):
Min. 35°C
Max. 92°C

Alpenföhn Black Ridge + NF-A12x15 (120mm):
Min. 35°C
Max. 82°C

AMD Wraith Stealth:
Min. 41°C
Max. 92°C

Noctua NH-L9x65:
Min. 36°C
Max. 84°C

Thermalright AXP-100RH:
Min. 34°C
Max. 80°C

Madhawk1995

Average Stuffer
Sep 9, 2019
Have you tested an Noctua L12s vs Thermalright AXP-100 C65 Full Copper?
I want to know what is the best in a loque ghost s1. I currently have a 58mm version but it doesn't beat the l12s IMO. Its too close perf wise and still loses due the fan being on top of the heatsink vs behind the heatsink so its quieter less turbulence. But if the 9900k can be cooled better with that c65 full copper then I would gladly pay $100 through superbuy and TaoBao. My 9900k is delidded and on a copper ihs as well.

londiste

Chassis Packer
Nov 22, 2019
does anyone tries "Crucial 16GB DDR4-2666 RDIMM VLP" ?
rdimm (r - registered) is not a good idea unless you have a board that explicitly supports it. udimm (u - unregistered) is what you need to go for in most cases. ecc is an addition question on top of that.

crucial does have udimm version of the same memory, still with ecc though - ct16g4xfd8266

Wyd4

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 21, 2018
Quite frustrating, my MSI Pro Carbon 370i board just died, looking at replacements (either intel or AMD) and it seems you cannot buy a board now that doesn't have 6' tall heatsinks or IO shrouds.

I did a quick search here and netted nothing. Are there any compatible, currently available 570 or 390 boards for AMD or Intel respectively out there?

I love my Black Ridge for its performance, but its looking like I am going to have to downgrade to something like an L9i and take the performance hit.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Quite frustrating, my MSI Pro Carbon 370i board just died, looking at replacements (either intel or AMD) and it seems you cannot buy a board now that doesn't have 6' tall heatsinks or IO shrouds.

I did a quick search here and netted nothing. Are there any compatible, currently available 570 or 390 boards for AMD or Intel respectively out there?

I love my Black Ridge for its performance, but its looking like I am going to have to downgrade to something like an L9i and take the performance hit.
You always could buy another board and replace the VRM heatsinks. They're usually ornamental anyway and don't perform as well as aftermarket ones do.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
The X470/B450 Strix, MSI B450, removing the SSD heatsink are 100% compatible!

For the Z390 I don't know actually! I think the GIgabyte, the MSI Z390 and the ASrock Z390 Phantom Gaming/Normal are compatible as well!

You always could buy another board and replace the VRM heatsinks. They're usually ornamental anyway and don't perform as well as aftermarket ones do.

True, but for example which do you suggest? I've tried the Enzotech, 2 models, but even if the screw holes were matching, they were too wide, and was impossible to install above the VRM because of the chokes!

It is not easy on ITX board to replace the VRM heatsink.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
The Gigabyte X570 ITX will work with the Black Ridge if you are willing to remove the heatsink/fan on the chipset. With a slim 120mm noctua, it will get plenty of air.

Now, if you want an alternative that cools almost as good, look at the AXP 90. The full copper (non coated) will likely be the next best thing. At least, if you can get one with the current shipping constraints.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
The X470/B450 Strix, MSI B450, removing the SSD heatsink are 100% compatible!

For the Z390 I don't know actually! I think the GIgabyte, the MSI Z390 and the ASrock Z390 Phantom Gaming/Normal are compatible as well!

True, but for example which do you suggest? I've tried the Enzotech, 2 models, but even if the screw holes were matching, they were too wide, and was impossible to install above the VRM because of the chokes!

It is not easy on ITX board to replace the VRM heatsink.
I own an ASUS STRIX B450-I Gaming. Removing the VRM heatsink is as simple as screwing the two nuts on the underside of the board that hold it in place. Don't forget to put another set of VRM heatsinks on though.

You could also do what @scatterforce suggested with the Gigabyte X570 ITX board or get a Thermalright AXP-90 Full Copper. I own one that is graphene coated and it cools well without seeing tarnished copper later on.

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I own an ASUS STRIX B450-I Gaming. Removing the VRM heatsink is as simple as screwing the two nuts on the underside of the board that hold it in place. Don't forget to put another set of VRM heatsinks on though.

You could also do what @scatterforce suggested with the Gigabyte X570 ITX board or get a Thermalright AXP-90 Full Copper. I own one that is graphene coated and it cools well with seeing tarnished copper later on.
I know how to remove it, my question is: which aftermarket VRM heatsink di you suggest that works?

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I know how to remove it, my question is: which aftermarket VRM heatsink di you suggest that works?
You could try or provided that the heatsinks are the right size. I haven't done so yet due to budget constraints.

Mind the Black Ridge should fit on the ASUS B450-I and X470-I without issue from what I've seen online. It's the X570 boards to watch out for.

Last edited:

Wyd4

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 21, 2018
Thanks for all of the advice!!
It was just quite a daunting decision to make to drop $400+ on a motherboard to have it not be compatible with coolers that are adequate within the constraints of my case (50mm)
I now have some boards and alternative coolers to consider

Wyd4

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 21, 2018

You could also do what @scatterforce suggested with the Gigabyte X570 ITX board or get a Thermalright AXP-90 Full Copper. I own one that is graphene coated and it cools well without seeing tarnished copper later on.
I like this idea. Sadly that cooler is essentially unobtainium here in Australia

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I like this idea. Sadly that cooler is essentially unobtainium here in Australia
Don't bother on those. I've tried many times with the enzotech, and even if are lower in height, the performance is worse thatn the integrated heatsink. Tried on the Asus X470 Itx and on the Asus Z390 Itx.
In your case I will suggest to get the B450 Itx for AMD (I am using an 3900X withthe Strix). For Intel you can stay with MSI or the ASRock Phantom Gaming Z390, or if you want check also the H370 from Asus, or also the EVGA H370 Stinger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerdz