Prototype DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

galletabah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2016
Hi guys
I want to know if the vrm's heatsinks from the gigabyte z390 gigabyte z390 i aorus pro wifi are compatible with a 120mm slim fan+ABR and the adata vlp dd4 ram without mods nothing

D90

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2017
Hi guys
I want to know if the vrm's heatsinks from the gigabyte z390 gigabyte z390 i aorus pro wifi are compatible with a 120mm slim fan+ABR and the adata vlp dd4 ram without mods nothing
I had to pull them off to install the blackridge even with stock fan. It’s only 2 screws on the back of the motherboard.

Lindkvist

Cable Smoosher
Oct 8, 2018
Advertising renders and the actual cooler are about as accurate as people's tinder profiles.
Why on earth is the cooler silver ? ?

Reactions: riba2233

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
I've done even a video about it...its a freaking old one and completly irrelevant but I guess as you're interested in it...

regarding your below video, please write the temps with that fan, via a reply here - In English.

i can't see your video clearly.

please just write temps, via a reply here - In English.

heckinwoofer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 14, 2017
So is there any Z370/Z390 boards that could fit the Black Ridge + 120x15mm fan without modifications? I have the Gigabyte Z370N and the cooler only fits if I remove the VRM mos heatsink. Without the heatsink VRM temps easily shot up to >100C during rendering/simulation workloads and 115C on P95.

Last edited:

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
I thought I had replied here with my temps with the 3700x but perhaps it was another forum. I have the same blackridge cooler with 120mm fan and on complete stock, I maxed out at 87C on small FFTs Prime95. Turned on PBO and reduced PPT from 88W to 80W and the temps dropped to 82C with ~0.5% performance drop and is what I'm running at the moment. I want to do a slight undervolt of 0.05 - 0.1V next, but at the moment, the voltage control in BIOS on my Gigabyte b450 doesn't have any effect whatsoever.

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
I thought I had replied here with my temps with the 3700x but perhaps it was another forum. I have the same blackridge cooler with 120mm fan and on complete stock, I maxed out at 87C on small FFTs Prime95. Turned on PBO and reduced PPT from 88W to 80W and the temps dropped to 82C with ~0.5% performance drop and is what I'm running at the moment. I want to do a slight undervolt of 0.05 - 0.1V next, but at the moment, the voltage control in BIOS on my Gigabyte b450 doesn't have any effect whatsoever.

You could trying undervolting it with Ryzen Master. I've used it on the Asrock and Gigabyte B450 boards to manipulate settings that didn't seem to work in bios.
B450 bios' in general are functional but do need more work, that will continue to be the case until the X570's are in a state everyone is happy with.

scope

Chassis Packer
Aug 6, 2019
Not my build, but this person's build from PCPartPicker Link (Image #7) shows the stock 92mm fan right against the VRM heatsink. 120mm is a no go.

RAM height clearance looks good with those Corsair LPX modules on that pic.

Does anyone know the actual module height of the Corsair LPX DDR4? I find conflicting information about the module height being 31mm or 34mm (or maybe something in between). But the drawing shows "max. 33mm RAM" for the Black Ridge: https://www.alpenfoehn.de/images/Produkte/Bilder/BlackRidge/Modes/Black_Ridge_Compatibility.jpg
Still I'm not sure the module height of the LPX is only 31mm.

I'd like to use HyperX Furys which are specced at 34.04 mm module height. (The thinking is, if the LPX happen to be 34mm, from the lowest point of the DDR4 connector edge, to the highest point of the heat spreader, then the HyperX Furys should be good to go as well, based on the pic above.)

Last edited:

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017

can you please attach a CryOrig C7 copper or C7 graphene first, & then redo your temp tests.

in order to determine whether a BlackRidge cooler is a good investment, we need to compare it to another cooler, which is the same height.

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
can you please attach a CryOrig C7 copper or C7 graphene first, & then redo your temp tests.

in order to determine whether a BlackRidge cooler is a good investment, we need to compare it to another cooler, which is the same height.

I don't have those coolers to compare. All the comments of turbulence with the Dan A4, which will also hold true for Sentry 2.0, put me off its consideration.

Reactions: Octagoncow

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
Black Ridge outperformed the C7 G in my case, despite being quieter and 30% lighter.

my case has an airgap of more than 3mm, which solves this noise issue.

other cases have noise issues because their airgap is not enough.

please provide temps with both coolers, so we can compare.

also, let us know if you're using a replacement fan, for either cooler.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Anybody using vlp ram for a 2700x or similar CPU (just got 2700x to upgrade my 1600)? Wondering if it is worth it. I currently have hynix m-die (v5.39 Corsair lpx 3200 cl16). I bought the black ridge v2(but it has sat in the box for about 2 months since I wanted vlp ram... But unsure of decent ram for ryzen) currently have a c7 (aluminum, but pre-ordered the graphene version from OCUK) and a slim raijintek RGB 120mm fan. Want to find decent vlp ram for my ryzen, because I don't want to upgrade CPU and downgrade ram. I know of adata's purple sticks on AliExpress but those are like 2666 @cl19 (IIRC) which sounds like a decent downgrade for the cpu performance upgrade.... Please let me know. :)

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
Anybody using vlp ram for a 2700x or similar CPU (just got 2700x to upgrade my 1600)? Wondering if it is worth it. I currently have hynix m-die (v5.39 Corsair lpx 3200 cl16). I bought the black ridge v2(but it has sat in the box for about 2 months since I wanted vlp ram... But unsure of decent ram for ryzen) currently have a c7 (aluminum, but pre-ordered the graphene version from OCUK) and a slim raijintek RGB 120mm fan. Want to find decent vlp ram for my ryzen, because I don't want to upgrade CPU and downgrade ram. I know of adata's purple sticks on AliExpress but those are like 2666 @cl19 (IIRC) which sounds like a decent downgrade for the cpu performance upgrade.... Please let me know. :)

are you located in the USA ??

if so, i would be willing to assist you in getting items, for comparing both coolers.

as you can see from above, i'm highly interested in getting a comparison between coolers, however very few people have used a 120mm fan with their BlackRidge V2, and then written down temps.

many people keep saying they've used a 120mm fan, but forgot to write their temps, which is not helpful.

@GucksTV also seems to not write temps in English, or has them so they're unreadable, within his videos.

not helpful at all.

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019

Yes, I have VLP Ram that is Samsung B-die. I'll be using the recently released tool to OC it this weekend but it should have good performance compared to the Adata sticks. I got them off of an eBay seller in the UK. They're still for sale, though a bit cheaper than I paid at £79 for 16GB sticks at the moment. The description is "innodisk (Samsung) 16GB DDR4 2400 PC4-19200 VLP UDIMM RAM M4C0-AGS1TCSJ". Currently I'm at 3200MHz CL17 but we'll see how I go over the weekend.

Hellow

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 7, 2019
You can see my temp using a 3700x, VLP, 120mm fan and Black ridge on the Dan A4 case topic