Prototype DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

PantherB

Caliper Novice
Nov 21, 2018
Quick question though slightly off-topic: does anybody know the performance gain regarding cooling by taking the i/o-shield of the mainboard off in a dan a4-sfx?

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Quick question although slightly off-topic: does anybody know the performance gain regarding cooling by taking the i/o-shield of the mainboard off in a dan a4-sfx?
I will try next week. I think will improve a lot the airflow!

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I contacted OCUK and apparently they are not accepting returns on this defective product. Anyone else?
Erm, what? It's literally a manufacturing fault that the manufacturer has issued a recall for? They can't ignore that and not accept returns lol

I'm sure they'll reach out regarding replacements and if they don't, given they're in the UK, we may need to send a stern letter to them with much tsking

Reactions: Saici

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
Ordered from OCUK and returns is basically a nightmare trying to get in touch with them since it's only phone call communication and their terrible messenger system. I'm in the states so returning is not really an option as shipping cost will probably cost more than half the the cost of the cooler itself. I'm hoping AlpenFohn directly sends replacements, but I've emailed them and still haven't gotten a response.

JohnCA

Average Stuffer
Dec 2, 2018
I also ordered a unit some weeks ago, but haven't received it yet. Now I wonder if I should just let it ship back when it arrives here...

Has anyone got a "perfect" unit, or most of them are faulty?

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
I also ordered a unit some weeks ago, but haven't received it yet. Now I wonder if I should just let it ship back when it arrives here...

Has anyone got a "perfect" unit, or most of them are faulty?
Supposedly all retail units are faulty, and it's not something you'll be able to see with the untrained eye

Reactions: JohnCA

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Jul 30, 2018
So is there any way we can "fix it?
Since I am also in the US and shipping it back won't be worth it

Or should I wait till I go to Europe in 5 months then send it?

Edit: it would be great if they can just send us the cooler itself and we will use the existing hardware

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Maybe and I only can say maybe if you can't look through your bottom heatpipe, your unit is not faulty (third heatpipe start counting from left):

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Alpenföhn Kundensupport responded. They have received some customer returns, and that 1 out of 10 pcs are suffering 2-3c worse than others. They added that my unit is probably OK. Based on @dondan picture above, I believe mine may actually have more gaps. I will try to take a photograph tonight and share it.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Mine doesn't look too bad, will reassess later, but pretty sure it should be okay, and I just got my V3 A4, so will build it all this weekend I reckon and see how it goes.

I doubt I'll have issues with a 35W i7 anyway...

D

Deleted member 4696

Overclockers put the black ridge back on their website this week, i contacted them via phone and they said that they were new stock and did not have the fault. So i ordered one right away as my dan case should be here this week.

Now im thinking that they are not really telling the truth as ive read elsewhere that the updated version wont be ready until Januray/February. I think ill ring them again tomorrow.

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
Alpenföhn Kundensupport responded. They have received some customer returns, and that 1 out of 10 pcs are suffering 2-3c worse than others. They added that my unit is probably OK. Based on @dondan picture above, I believe mine may actually have more gaps. I will try to take a photograph tonight and share it.
Wow, how many units did they already get back? What's the criteria of acceptability

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
Overclockers put the black ridge back on their website this week, i contacted them via phone and they said that they were new stock and did not have the fault. So i ordered one right away as my dan case should be here this week.

Now im thinking that they are not really telling the truth as ive read elsewhere that the updated version wont be ready until Januray/February. I think ill ring them again tomorrow.
Id avoid.