Prototype DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
Still no response from Alphenfohn. Looking at my heatsink and it doesn't seem like there's any significant gap between the heatpipes but I'll recheck it. I may just give it a shot and install it and see how my temperatures are.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Still no response from Alphenfohn. Looking at my heatsink and it doesn't seem like there's any significant gap between the heatpipes but I'll recheck it. I may just give it a shot and install it and see how my temperatures are.
Based on my correspondence with them, it seems that 9 out of 10 units are ok... odds are in your favor

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Ye
Overclockers put the black ridge back on their website this week, i contacted them via phone and they said that they were new stock and did not have the fault. So i ordered one right away as my dan case should be here this week.

Now im thinking that they are not really telling the truth as ive read elsewhere that the updated version wont be ready until Januray/February. I think ill ring them again tomorrow.
ah they told me via email yesterday that they had no eta on the new stock? Very strange and a bit concerning

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
As you can see below... 4 of the 6 heat pipes have gaps between them and the CPU block:

4 out of the 6 pipes are defective. 2 of them are not. Your unit, overall, is not defective. Refund and return not accepted.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
4 out of the 6 pipes are defective. 2 of them are not. Your unit, overall, is not defective. Refund and return not accepted.
Alpenfohn responded and asked for me to test the part, and will accommodate a new one (when it is avaliable) if mine is faulty. I have to admit that I am excited to test the Black Ridge — it’s such a sleek and nice looking heatsink :)

Dhommi

Minimal Tinkerer
Nov 27, 2018
Has anyone with a "faulty" unit had temp problems? A small part of me hopes the fixed units might have even nicer temps???

With a 9700K and 2080 Ti I have these temps at stock speeds:

Temps idle:
CPU: 33°
GPU: 42°
SSD: 38°
MOBO: 36°

Temps Gaming (PUBG @ 1440p):
CPU: 75°
GPU: 83°
SSD: 57°
MOBO: 56°

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
I made two videos in german! :)
Showing of how to mount the Black Ridge on an Asus X470-i / B450-i and inside the Dan A4-SFX...I've also measured some temps with the 2700X but as my unite was faulty, I've stopped testing. I have a new one incoming so maybe I will be able to deliver some reliable results soon...cheers!

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@GucksTV
Don't expect wonders. Also a perfect soldered BlackRidge will not drop the temps that much. Furthermore the Black Ridge with 92mm fan is only rated for 95W. The Ryzen 2700x is a 105W CPU. Only VLP Ram + 120mm fan will give you much better temps.

Reactions: GucksTV

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
@GucksTV
Don't expect wonders. Also a perfect soldered BlackRidge will not drop the temps that much. Furthermore the Black Ridge with 92mm fan is only rated for 95W. The Ryzen 2700x is a 105W CPU. Only VLP Ram + 120mm fan will give you much better temps.

Yea...afterwords I was a bit more realistically looking at the situation. The temps weren’t that bad for a RYZEN 2700X but it was ramping up the fan noise and clearly struggling with the chip. So my next test will be done with the cooler and an i9-9900K and i7-9700K...this time I will go a bit more into the depth and deliver hopefully more numbers to compare! :) I’ve already contacted Innodisk and will receive my VLP RAM soon for additional testing. Appreciate your work for the community Dan! Cheers

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Testing the Black Ridge...

Common parts:
  • i7-8700K delidded, no overclock, MCE off
  • Asus Strix Z370i, all VRM heatsinks removed
  • Corsair Vengence LPX 32gb 2133
  • Silverstone SX650
  • Dancase SFX-A4 v2
  • Nvidia Quadro P4000
  • Coolermaster Blademaster 92mm bottom intake under PSU
  • 2x 40mm top exhaust above motherboard
  • 1x 40mm bottom intake below motherboard
Previous setup test Prime95 small FFT:

LP53 heatsink + Thermalright TY100 (1500rpm @60c)
  • 70c during 4.4 ghz 130w power draw
  • 63c during 4.0 ghz 95w power draw

Black Ridge + stock 92mm fan
  • 80c during 4.4 ghz 130w power draw
  • 74c during 4.0 ghz 95w power draw
The cpu idles at 55c. The temps are technically acceptable with my stock CPU settings, but worse than the LP53+TY100.

I believe something is not right with my Black Ridge...

Kandirma

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2017
Testing the Black Ridge...

I believe something is not right with my Black Ridge...

Possible it is defective, there is a recall after all.

That said, try flipping the 92mm fan, most seem to see much better temps with the fan going the opposite direction as 'stock'.

Reactions: Nanook

PantherB

Caliper Novice
Nov 21, 2018
For all alternate.de customers, just got a mail from them asking me to return the item. I wrote to them in the first place asking how they would deal with the faulty first batch. They are going to refund me, since the new batch is only due in the new year. Just curious if they are going to be furious about the modded socket bracket ;)

Reactions: robbee

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
So at this point, are ALL BlackRidges heat sink affected?

Darn. Mines arrived last night from OCUK. I'm in the states .
Can I just ask for a refund instead? And when can we expect the perfected one to be released?

I contacted OCUK and apparently they are not accepting returns on this defective product. Anyone else?
They aren't accepting returns still? This has me really ticked off, I ordered my Noctua NF A12x15 for this cooler, and waited.. then ordered super expensive VLP DDR4 from Innodisk for this cooler, and waited... and I ordered this cooler and... now you're telling me my OCUK order can't be returned?

I'm going to contact them ONE more time, and then I'll start a forum thread on their forums, this is ridiculous.