Prototype DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

mcs437

Chassis Packer
Nov 21, 2018
Hey - that was my post - I tried multiple ways to try and get it to install this afternoon.

With the ASUS B450i the length of the Black Ridge means that it overshoots the PCI socket so you can't fit a GPU - at least that's how it appeared to me after I managed to get it seated in the AM4 mounting holes by removing the included fan.

I may have another go tomorrow when I have a bit more time and see if I can just sneak the GPU in if I remove the heatsink but it's going to be an incredibly tight fit.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Just saw a reddit post that claims this cooler is not compatible with the strx x470/b450i motherboards unless you don't want a gpu (going with apu instead). Its a shame, really wanted one, but can anyone else here confirm this?

I've made some rough mock-ups to see how many boards can handle this properly in something other than A4-SFX and it doesn't look good:

Note the fact that the cooler reference image is a bottom rendered shot that seems to be in perspective so the fin stack is further away meaning it's slightly smaller than it actually is (unless I greatly messed up matching the cold plate size to AM4 socket size), but it still shows some issues.

There is only one board vendor (gigabyte aorus) that has AM4 board that does not have its pci-e slot obstructed when fin stack is facing it.

On all of the intel boards black ridge seem to extend over the motherboard when the fin stacks are facing IO plate.

On all of the intel boards black ridge extends at least 2 cm over the motherboard when the fin stacks are facing away from PCI-E slot.

It seems like this cooler will work either when you don't need to use the pci-e slot, when you are using A4 or similar cases where the riser bends right around the pci-e slot, or when you are using a case that has a recess over the IO plate so mostly mass produced cases that don't have the PCI bracket going outside of the case.

This needs a thorough compatibility list.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Hey - that was my post - I tried multiple ways to try and get it to install this afternoon.

With the ASUS B450i the length of the Black Ridge means that it overshoots the PCI socket so you can't fit a GPU - at least that's how it appeared to me after I managed to get it seated in the AM4 mounting holes by removing the included fan.

I may have another go tomorrow when I have a bit more time and see if I can just sneak the GPU in if I remove the heatsink but it's going to be an incredibly tight fit.
But depends in which case are you using it. The DAN ha the motherboard inverted, so what you say is correct, but using the PCIE riser you solve the problem. In other cases where the motherboard is “normal” mounted, IF you have enough space above the VRM, the PCIE slot will be free!

Reactions: whatanoob

mcs437

Chassis Packer
Nov 21, 2018
So it was a Node 202 that I tried to install it into - not sure on the DAN layout but with the Node there's a PCI riser and I'm even concerned that won't fit.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Only the cases with flexible riser that has some leeway will work okay with that.

In Sentry our 5cm riser has already some additional length to make it easier to connect it so when I placed the cooler over it, the fin stack squeezed and bent the ribbon right above the slot - it didn't survive third mounting when I switched from 2600X to 1700 so I couldn't finish the tests yet (I'm don't want to brick more risers for the sake of testing 1700 on this). I'm not recommending this unless I figure out how should this be handled.

PCB risers are a bit better off than a GPU because there are a lot less components on the back side of it which could get shorted or at least pushed by the heat pipe ends.

Reactions: Talyrius

totallynoob

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 10, 2018
Cooler arrived for me last week (US), but my z370i strix has not shown up yet. Crossing my fingers that it will fit with no issues.

Were temps posted for a non-delidded 8700k anywhere? I'm sure it's going to be similar to the other cooling options, but having numbers is always nice.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Alright everyone, I got my Blackridge and got to try it out with my B360i motherboard which is very similar to the Z390i in layout, so anyone wondering if it will work with that board: Yes, in stock configuration the Blackridge is compatible with current Asus ITX 1151 motherboards.

It's not perfect and I have some notes, followed by some photos I took later, although the DOF is all messed up cos I only had my f1.8 portraiture lens with me at the time so the photos look like I'm trying to be too dramatic with the hardware lol

First of all, if you are using this cooler with an ASUS board and a 120mm slim fan, you cannot use the included wire mounts on the IO side as they protrude out the side and hit IO cover and heatsink. The fan also has to be slid across about 5mm to allow for the back heatsink, and there is about 1mm clearance between the cooler and the IO shroud.
You can use the wire clip on the RAM side, since the 5mm adjustment means that the clips clear the RAM, but I had to zip tie the back corner of the cooler onto one of the heatpipes to keep it secure so it wasn't hanging down on one side. Unsure yet if this will affect temps.

Second, this is sort of a given, but you cannot use this cooler without a riser cable. I am currently waiting for my Dan V3 and I was unable to use the cooler because it completely covers the PCI-e slot and leaves pretty narrow clearance there, so make sure you are using a flexible riser here, as rigid risers likely will not fit.

I'll add some more notes when I actually get a chance to turn the thing on and use it, but it looks REALLY good and installed in the Dan case this thing fills the space so nicely.

Feel free to chuck me any questions.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I think, this night I I’ll try the Black Ridge with a 9900k in exhaust and a fan under the PSU in the DAN. Of course TDP Locked around 120/140W and a bottom So curious!

D

Deleted member 4696

Does anyone know the exact reason why overclockers and case king have removed all black ridge stock from their websites?

I spoke to overclockers on the phone and they said there was a QC issue with them but they either didn’t have the exact reason or wouldn’t tell me.

Reactions: fabio

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Hi everyone,

It looks like the new Alpenfön Black Ridge has some manufacturing problems. Some heatpipes are not soldered correctly with the base. Maybe you know I can’t give support by myself because it is not my product. My name is only printed on the carton because I helped EKL Alpenfön in the development process. However I forward the manufacturing problems to EKL and they ask me if I can post the following statement (I translate it from German to English):

“Dear customers, the first review samples were not affected by the problem, so we start producing the first batch with a rush order. This first batch is affected by the problem and is a result from quick manufacturing. We are very sorry about it. All already ready new batches and future batches will not have this problem. We informed all resellers. The resellers will contact you for a replacement process. We guarantee an easy replacement of the product. We feel very sorry that this happened due to quick manufacturing and we ask your forgiveness. - EKL”

Furthermore they confirmed that the current version with bad soldering will not perform as good as the flawless version. So everyone will get a new flawless version.

With best regards
Daniel Hansen

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
Hi everyone,

It looks like the new Alpenfön Black Ridge has some manufacturing problems. Some heatpipes are not soldered correctly with the base. Maybe you know I can’t give support by myself because it is not my product. My name is only printed on the carton because I helped EKL Alpenfön in the development process. However I forward the manufacturing problems to EKL and they ask me if I can post the following statement (I translate it from German to English):

“Dear customers, the first review samples were not affected by the problem, so we start producing the first batch with a rush order. This first batch is affected by the problem and is a result from quick manufacturing. We are very sorry about it. All already ready new batches and future batches will not have this problem. We informed all resellers. The resellers will contact you for a replacement process. We guarantee an easy replacement of the product. We feel very sorry that this happened due to quick manufacturing and we ask your forgiveness. - EKL”

Furthermore they confirmed that the current version with bad soldering will not perform as good as the flawless version. So everyone will get a new flawless version.

With best regards
Daniel Hansen
So at this point, are ALL BlackRidges heat sink affected?

Darn. Mines arrived last night from OCUK. I'm in the states .
Can I just ask for a refund instead? And when can we expect the perfected one to be released?

Reactions: fabio

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
FIY, Caseking already contacted me. But of course they don't have an ETA for the flawless one.

They will send DHL to pickup it, and when receivend, they will give me a "credit note"

DAN say that ALL the current BlackRidge have the issue.

Reactions: VegetableStu