Prototype DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Isn’t it a 180W TDP, though? That was what Dan said, last I checked.
from Daniel over at [H]: https://hardforum.com/threads/dan-h...50mm-heatsink.1925480/page-34#post-1043799175
And this is the reason why we specified it not that high. For the 5820k DIE and heatspreader are soldered but modern CPUs uses TIM. Furthermore the 5820k has a bigger DIE so the heat will be distribute over a bigger surface. Also modern CPU are not limited by the TDP they are limited by the motherboard. On one board a i7 8700 can run with a TDP of 120W and on the other with 150W. And this is without oc.

Conclusion: It is harder to cool a 8700 (default 95W) than a 5820k (140W)

So it is very hard to find a TDP that matches all CPU generation from all vendors.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Chassis Packer
Feb 27, 2018
I wonder if you will be able to fit a 120mm under this bad boy.. I would seem to think you might be able to even if you have to make your own way to mount it to the cooler.

These are designed for itx build where ram slot is really close to the socket. Adding a 120mm below it will interfere with the ram slot or other components in an ITX mobo.

I wonder if a 25mm one can fit. Maybe, maybe not, but I can hope. I am notorious for putting +100 cfm fans in my SFF build. Jet engine Delta fan, ahoy! :D

Well, if Alpenföhn haven't changed Dan's design the HSLP-48/Black Ridge can fit 120 mm fans.
He has amongst others mounted a NF-A12x15 PWM on the heatsink himself.
All fans he tested were <= 15 mm in height though therefore I assume that's the greatest height that fits without modding.
The combination of heatsink and NF-A12x15 PWM did fit the ASUS ROG Strix B350-I Gaming, the only questions are if that board is representative for all Mini-ITX ones and if RAM of greater height will be compatible.

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...rful-sub-50mm-heatsink.2387/page-2#post-48375
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...rful-sub-50mm-heatsink.2387/page-2#post-49612
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...rful-sub-50mm-heatsink.2387/page-6#post-74460
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...rful-sub-50mm-heatsink.2387/page-7#post-74513

EDIT: Just found Dan's post over at the hardforum, the heatsink works with 120 mm fans only when paired with VLP RAM, what a bummer
https://hardforum.com/threads/dan-h...50mm-heatsink.1925480/page-34#post-1043799149

Last edited:

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
EDIT: Just found Dan's post over at the hardforum, the heatsink works with 120 mm fans only when paired with VLP RAM, what a bummer
https://hardforum.com/threads/dan-h...50mm-heatsink.1925480/page-34#post-1043799149

In any other way it is physically impossible. An ITX board is 170x170mm and a 120er fan 120x120mm. On one side we have the I/O area so the only way to fit a 120mm fan under the fin array is over the ram. The next limitation is the height. To fit inside the A4 the heatsink must be under 48mm (starting from the top of the CPU heatspreader).

Starting from the topside of the PCB we will have 55mm:
- 2.5mm ram socket
- 33mm LP ram
- 1mm fan clip
- 15mm fan
-----------------
3,5mm left (not enough for fins)

Starting from the topside of the PCB we will have 55mm:
- 2.5mm ram socket
- 18 mm VLP ram
- 1mm fan clip
- 15mm fan
-----------------
18,5mm left (enough for fins)

But if you mount the heatsink inside a bigger case you can mount a 120mm fan on the top side of the heatsink! The neccessary clips are included for all mount options: 92x92x15mm fan under the heatsink, 120x120x15mm fan under the heatsink, 120x120x15mm fan above the heatsink and 120x120x25mm fan above the heatsink.

Chassis Packer
Feb 27, 2018
Hey Dan,

really no need to justify yourself, you brought another project of yours to the public market giving all of us nerds more options.
You obviously can't defy the laws of physics.
Excuse my poor phrasing, only because my naive self had to realize the custom build I had imagined wasn't possible didn't mean I am anything but grateful for the effort you put into this.

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Thanks Dan for your timely response. I have looked closely at your work for years and I have always deeply admired how you push technology to the fundamental limits and you make your work something truly extraordinary among everything else out there. As such, I am positive the outcome here is a cooling solution providing the very best possible dissipation in such cramped corners for a fan-based option. I had been merely curious if those limits permitted a 92mmx25mm fan to fit underneath the heatsink and your post clearly answers that as a “no.” So my deepest thanks to you for already having taken the time out and having responded personally.

Last edited:

Diizzel

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 9, 2018
So is this cooler going to require max 33mm rams even with 92mm fan? Have I understood this right? Guess I'll have to choose between this cooler or keeping my Flare X ram sticks which are about 40mm high.

Whatsoever have to say that this looks amazing. Great job with new cooler for sff!

Reactions: br3nd0

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
So is this cooler going to require max 33mm rams even with 92mm fan? Have I understood this right? Guess I'll have to choose between this cooler or keeping my Flare X ram sticks which are about 40mm high.

Whatsoever have to say that this looks amazing. Great job with new cooler for sff!
This kind of ram height reminds me Prolimatech Samuel 17..:)

Based on my Ryzen experience, keep Flare-X..:D

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
Does this ram cover both Ram slot? A ram without heatsink should provide a lot of clearance but as per checking, they are not that much cheaper.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Does this ram cover both Ram slot? A ram without heatsink should provide a lot of clearance but as per checking, they are not that much cheaper.
One could always remove ram heatsink, and or replace it with a cheaper generic set .(warranty may be void)

FoxTrotl_Alpha

Trash Compacter
Aug 11, 2018
Im definitely interested in this cooler, will buy it. But I would like to try a 120mm fan at the bottom for sure. Does anyone know if Asus z370-i supports any VLP Dimms?

Kandirma

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2017
Im definitely interested in this cooler, will buy it. But I would like to try a 120mm fan at the bottom for sure. Does anyone know if Asus z370-i supports any VLP Dimms?
As far as I'm aware there aren't any VLP DDR4 UDimms being made right now - except ECC ones. Unless I'm mistaken that would mean no for basically every modern mitx platfform right now.

masteraleph

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 28, 2017
As far as I'm aware there aren't any VLP DDR4 UDimms being made right now - except ECC ones. Unless I'm mistaken that would mean no for basically every modern mitx platfform right now.

Depends on the variety. Unbuffered ECC will actually work on most platforms.

deadline

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 9, 2018

I'd love to know that as well!

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
i've got a pair of non-ecc vlp udimms on order from china. if they're legit, i'll post the link here and a couple other threads. i got them specifically because they have a black pcb. adata sells 8gb 2666 non-ecc vlp udimms with a purple pcb. you can even find them on ebay.

Narwhal

Average Stuffer
Jan 30, 2018

remove the heat spreader on the ram?? ddr4 does not even need it