Prototype DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Yeah just remove the heatspreader, it's not important that ram has it at this point + if it's gonna be hidden below the heatsink who cares.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

deadline

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 9, 2018
Was thinking about trying this one in a Louqe Ghost with an added 14 mm fan on top of the fins, same layout as the original Noctua NH-L12. That case has room for a max 66 mm GPU cooler, and 44 mm (cooler) + a 14 mm fan would amount to 62 mm. Are there any flaws here in my theory?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Was thinking about trying this one in a Louqe Ghost with an added 14 mm fan on top of the fins, same layout as the original Noctua NH-L12. That case has room for a max 66 mm GPU cooler, and 44 mm (cooler) + a 14 mm fan would amount to 62 mm. Are there any flaws here in my theory?

You'll get some turbulence noise. At around 10mm clearance turbulence is substantially reduced.

Narwhal

Average Stuffer
Jan 30, 2018
You'll get some turbulence noise. At around 10mm clearance turbulence is substantially reduced.
the nh-l12 got his top fan removed becaused it changes basically nothing, just keep the under fan on the dan cooler and youll be alright plus wont have turbulence noise, thats what i'll do in my sff case

Reactions: deadline

Narwhal

Average Stuffer
Jan 30, 2018
In any other way it is physically impossible. An ITX board is 170x170mm and a 120er fan 120x120mm. On one side we have the I/O area so the only way to fit a 120mm fan under the fin array is over the ram. The next limitation is the height. To fit inside the A4 the heatsink must be under 48mm (starting from the top of the CPU heatspreader).

Starting from the topside of the PCB we will have 55mm:
- 2.5mm ram socket
- 33mm LP ram
- 1mm fan clip
- 15mm fan
-----------------
3,5mm left (not enough for fins)

Starting from the topside of the PCB we will have 55mm:
- 2.5mm ram socket
- 18 mm VLP ram
- 1mm fan clip
- 15mm fan
-----------------
18,5mm left (enough for fins)

But if you mount the heatsink inside a bigger case you can mount a 120mm fan on the top side of the heatsink! The neccessary clips are included for all mount options: 92x92x15mm fan under the heatsink, 120x120x15mm fan under the heatsink, 120x120x15mm fan above the heatsink and 120x120x25mm fan above the heatsink.
Hey, love it but do you think it will fit on my h370-i from asus since this mobo has a io cover ?

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
no luck with the black pcb ram i ordered. i ended up getting the adata ram. @K-philip started this thread about vlp ddr4. it's pretty informative. you should check it out!

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Is this the final product resulting from your HSLP-48 project? Wow you managed to get it down to 47mm! :D

My only issue is I live in the USA, where can i purchase this in a way that it directly supports you? @dondan as I'll try to attempt to fit it inside of my S4 Mini Classic #193 build. :) I'd add it to my list of thermal comparisons between the NHL9i, the LP53, and others I've used inside the S4M-C. :)