DAN C4-SFX

Covuk

Average Stuffer
Jun 13, 2023
@dondan Can you use an SFX-L PSU and the 4090FE airflow bracket at the same time?
From my dry-build you can, but not if you use the PSU mounting cage. There isn't sufficient room to attach cables. You have to mount the PSU to the case directly.

I'm hoping to continue my build planning today, if so I will take a photo

Last edited:

Albatross1486

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2023
- i use Front I/O usb mainly for Usb Key, so Usb C is not the best only choice (USB A and USB C would be the best IMO).
Having an M1 and the C4, I have to say, not needing to run the USB 3.0 cable to the front is SO nice. I do wish there were two USB-C, but I totally understand not adding A. It's a little annoying for sure, but this is how it's going to be in the future and I don't really mind. Much like Apple killing the floppy drive way back when, this is how things are going to end up. Dan is just a little ahead.

Covuk

Average Stuffer
Jun 13, 2023
Note for anyone building with the NH-D12L - if you use the offset mounting bars for AM5 it will only fit one way around - the smaller fin stack needs to be closest to the rear intake. If you fit the other way the fin bolt caps will interfere with the fan mounting plate when you try to refit it.

kuj0

Trash Compacter
Jul 11, 2023
Having an M1 and the C4, I have to say, not needing to run the USB 3.0 cable to the front is SO nice. I do wish there were two USB-C, but I totally understand not adding A. It's a little annoying for sure, but this is how it's going to be in the future and I don't really mind. Much like Apple killing the floppy drive way back when, this is how things are going to end up. Dan is just a little ahead.
I also have an M1 and tbh I still find it to be a bit of a pain that there are no USB-A ports. The kind of devices I need to pop in and out of the IO on my laptop or the front of my case are still mostly USB-A (wireless receivers, micro SD adapters, keyboards, etc).

Having an option for either is always better than not having the option. Apple has been trying to make the all USB-C future happen since 2016. Hell, even the new macbook pro has expanded its IO to include more ports (no USB-A, but still). No shade on Dan for choosing to forgo more ports on the front, especially on a case as small as the C4. All I'm saying is that tech should always be practical - built for the landscape it's released in, not the future that may come to be at some point.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
I also have an M1 and tbh I still find it to be a bit of a pain that there are no USB-A ports. The kind of devices I need to pop in and out of the IO on my laptop or the front of my case are still mostly USB-A (wireless receivers, micro SD adapters, keyboards, etc).

Having an option for either is always better than not having the option. Apple has been trying to make the all USB-C future happen since 2016. Hell, even the new macbook pro has expanded its IO to include more ports (no USB-A, but still). No shade on Dan for choosing to forgo more ports on the front, especially on a case as small as the C4. All I'm saying is that tech should always be practical - built for the landscape it's released in, not the future that may come to be at some point.
Which version of the NCASE M1 do you have? Cause my V6.1 has two USB A ports and a single USB C one.

Reactions: Dampfbox

Willtor

What's an ITX?
New User
Jul 14, 2023
@dondan I've just joined this forum to say that I love your V2 prototype! But I also like the bare front panel of the V1, so I have a question:
would it be possible to implement a removable (magnetic?) piece to cover the I/O? Just an idea.

Reactions: Dampfbox

Covuk

Average Stuffer
Jun 13, 2023
@dondan Just a suggestion for v2.

I have zero RGB etc and find it really annoying that there's no feedback as to if the system is on or not (especially during post/RAM training etc). Can you source a illuminated/led button switch? (RAM training usually flashes the system power LED)?

Last edited:

Albatross1486

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2023

I do understand it, I just hated the USB-A cable in my M1. I had to get a right angle adapter for it, and it's so goddamn stiff, and the cable is so long. It's just frustrating to have to deal with in a case that tightly packed. The only issue I have with the C4's C-only front is my yubikey; everything else has migrated to C for me, and I suppose it won't be long before I grab a yubi-c and keep the A as a backup. The C4 is a larger case, but I'm not going to cry over the lack of A. To be honest, I actually like the A4-H2O side IO and wouldn't have minded that, but it doesn't look as clean on this design.

I have a Framework laptop, so it's very easy to swap C to A if needed.

Albatross1486

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2023
Which version of the NCASE M1 do you have? Cause my V6.1 has two USB A ports and a single USB C one.
I have the v6.1. And I do on occasion use the A, mostly if I'm reinstalling an OS. But since my M1 is under my desk, not on it, I have other port tools to bring audio and USB to more practical places. Yes, I realize this isn't a common situation, and I know it adds cost etc, but for me both of these cases work great.

Reactions: Dawelio

Oogar

Cable Smoosher
Jun 13, 2023
Finished build. It includes a few interesting things that might be helpful to people. E.g.

SFX-L power supply with custom Cablemod cables

Right-angle 16pin cable for 4090 from Cablemod. Puts a tiny bit of pressure on the side panel that I fixed with a small amount of double-sided tape to make it essentially undetectable.

Offset Noctua brackets for AM5

JakefaceCustoms top panel.

Feel free to ask any questions. Sorry for all the contrasting wood in the photos, didn't have time to set it up somewhere prettier for photos.

kuj0

Trash Compacter
Jul 11, 2023
Finished build. It includes a few interesting things that might be helpful to people. E.g.

Right-angle 16pin cable for 4090 from Cablemod. Puts a tiny bit of pressure on the side panel that I fixed with a small amount of double-sided tape to make it essentially undetectable.

Feel free to ask any questions. Sorry for all the contrasting wood in the photos, didn't have time to set it up somewhere prettier for photos.
Nice build! I was also considering using the Cablemod right-angle connector, but it doesn't look like the one you shared. Mine looks like the one pictured here. I would love to find one that's lower profile though. Could you elaborate on how you solved the side panel fitment issue? I'm concerned I will run into the same thing.

Pancake

Chassis Packer
Mar 14, 2021

Awesome build.
Finally someone mounts the d12l as it is supposed to be. What are those ram sticks under the heatsink? Curious about the maximum ram height in this configuration. And it is possible to place the power connector at the lower hole?

Pancake

Chassis Packer
Mar 14, 2021

Awesome build. Finally someone mounts the d12l as it is supposed to be.
What are those ram sticks under the heatsink? Curious about the maximum ram height in this configuration. And it is possible to place the power connector at the lower hole?

Covuk

Average Stuffer
Jun 13, 2023
Awesome build.
Finally someone mounts the d12l as it is supposed to be. What are those ram sticks under the heatsink? Curious about the maximum ram height in this configuration. And it is possible to place the power connector at the lower hole?
I have the GSkill Flare (33mm) and there's approx 1cm to spare. Finding RAM is not an issue with the D12L unless you want a second full size fan
There's no issue running the power connector to the lower hole - if you were using fans/rad in the bottom of the case it might be tighter

Last edited:
Reactions: Pancake