DAN C4-SFX

happa

Cable Smoosher
Apr 15, 2020
It's mostly us bickering about decisions that have already been made. Can't wait for pictures, and you quality assessment is promising.

Kyndylan

Efficiency Noob
Oct 11, 2019
Wow so many new messages here i will response to them later today. I still waiting on some hardware parts for prototype testing but i throw in my current hardware i can say: wow this case is awesome. The quality is so good and assembly experience much much better than on the old C4.

I will show you some pictures later.

Looking forward to pictures - and so is my F5 key!

Reactions: Alur

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Update:

Here are some pictures of the assembled system. Keep in mind this is prototype one that does not include the changes from the last update.

Sorry for the bad light and quality. Tomorrow I will make the pictures earlier and with my Alpha 6000.

Monday: Pictures with C14S
Tuesday: Picturs with 240AIO
Wednesday: Pictures with Sandwich Mode

Thank you, stay safe
Daniel

McPhee

Trash Compacter
Feb 19, 2020
That looks great! One in Black (with window panel) for me, ASAP please ?

What are your impressions of the acrylic side panel?

One observation; GPU height seems quite tight. In light of this, how useful is triple slot support? Don't triple slot cards also tend to be quite tall?

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@warspitebattleship: Reseller will be Caseking, OcUK, W360M, Dirac (Japan only)
@jaeparku: Lian Li can only do brushed panels. If I go for sand blasted they have to outsource it so the price will be higher. But I will get quotes to check if this is worth the price increasement.
@hblockx: Yes the final product will support it in both layouts.

Max Fischer

Cable Smoosher
Mar 22, 2020
That looks great!
Is that a U9s? It looks like it fits like a glove without a mm to spare. Do you have an example of what a sandblasted panel would look like in comparison?

irememberflick

Cable Smoosher
May 10, 2020
What is the maximum supported graphics card height in both traditional and sandwich style layout? Couldn't find it on the introduction page.

Bought a ghost s1 and the asus strix card couldn't fit oof

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
that still looks really good.

why is the power button on top panel in some pictures and power button on front panel in other pics?

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
@dondan

i cant speak for everyone but I think a lot of people would be more than ok to pay premium if they get a premium Side panels. if you need proof, look at how much in demand Ghost cases are even though they are expensive

Reactions: bwjohnson0

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
Power button on the top looks tacky and out of place. For example:

But if you have it in the front panel, you can do vandal switches that you can see while sitting down. It also don't look "out of place."

Reactions: Dawelio

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I finally declare my interest, thus I'll be camping here, just in case :)

Anw, I'm in the same group who wish the front panel to be clean from any logo. Don't get me wrong, it's really a badge of honor but I'd prefer to have it somewhere low-key, unassuming. Like the back side perhaps.

Also, I personally prefer alu instead of TG. No fuss & easier to carry around.

Some questions & opinion @dondan (sorry I didn't really follow from the start, please bear with me if some questions were already asked before):

1. I'm slightly leaning toward power button on top - but front side is OK as well, not a deal breaker. Will you be using vandal or custom button? (I personally prefer vandal.. easier to replace if something goes wrong).
2. Would love to have I/Os on one of the side. But again, not a deal breaker.
3. What is the distance from the bottom panel to the surface (like, desk)? I just want to know how easy / hard to get fresh air down there.
4. On traditional GPU layout, how many 2.5" drives can be used, and where are they located?
5. Is this the current dimension? Case Dimensions (H x W x D): 232 x 148 x 315mm, 10.8L

Thank you!

Last edited:

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Overall I can continute to say the C4 is a case I would be buying if available now, but let's see how the next few months pan out as things change on my end - possible relocation, a lot more frequent travels, etc. which the C4 is not very highly transportable.

Now that I've had a closer look at the new pictures, here are some of my thoughts and questions:
  • Visually the 2-tone colour is definitely a hit, and I continue to not care about TG haha
  • The DAN logo is subtle enough that is not distracting but for my preference, the optimal combination is front logo and power button on top
  • This is me eye-balling here but there seems to be 10mm gap between the top edge of the motherboard and the top panel -> to clear the internal power cord right? I don't think that can be eliminated entirely but any possibility of lowering to PSU position to lower the top panel
  • All side panels are push-pin only right and no more screws like the A4? That's the part I dislike the most on the A4 since I like to tinker with my build a lot and I already strip a couple of threads (I know I should not over-tighten the screws but habit/muscle memory dies hard). So yeah, loving this!
  • The front compartment (space between the internal front and the front panel) is functionally the same as the A4, i.e. for 2.5" SSD and cable routing? Personally I would eliminate that also as my build is M.2 only but understand many do not
Please take pictures with the internal flipped whenever you can, lower priorities of course but would definitely be welcomed.

Keep up the great work!

McPhee

Trash Compacter
Feb 19, 2020
I'd forgotten about the power button thing. If opinions are wanted, I prefer how the case looks with the power button on top; it keeps the front looking clean.

It isn't something that bothers me hugely though. It looks fine with the button on the front too. I think the logo helps here to an extent, balancing out the button placement.

Last edited:

Loxli

Case Bender
New User
May 20, 2019
Hi Dan, long time lurker here.

Would you recommend to use the NH-U9S with 1 or 2 fans? (if it's even possible)

I really like the new design and I'll probably buy it from CaseKing.

kamiKAZIK

Cable Smoosher
May 7, 2020
Current button position at the top of front panel has it's own advantages. On Dan A4 the button is at the bottom of front panel and I must admit that I had hit it more than once by moving some stuff or by accident. Having it on top there is another possible disadvantage for me... I have a cat and she really likes that case... :D

hblockx

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 3, 2020
Current button position at the top of front panel has it's own advantages. On Dan A4 the button is at the bottom of front panel and I must admit that I had hit it more than once by moving some stuff or by accident. Having it on top there is another possible disadvantage for me... I have a cat and she really likes that case... :D
At front top this should be no problem. Front bottom is easy to hit XD

McPhee

Trash Compacter
Feb 19, 2020
Hadn't thought of the cat thing. Front panel is certainly more cat(owner)-friendly. And going by r/SFFPC, a fair number of SFF enthusiasts keep the fluffy little murderers as pets ?

Maybe front is best then?

Reactions: ignsvn