DAN C4-SFX

loopaddiction

Caliper Novice
Dec 4, 2018
All aboard the R1 ever since it was announced, it definitely looks nicer than the C4 v2. The I/O moving to the front of the C4 killed the clean look of the case IMO. But if the C4 V2 ends up supporting mATX, that would be the only feature that would tempt me. Also, the C4 being available in a nice anodized silver finish, versus a less desirable powdercoat of the R1.

I'm going to wait until both are in stock to decide and hopefully by then, newer gen GPU's and CPU's will also be available.

Facteur

Chassis Packer
Feb 6, 2024
I want an mATX case, so for me the Louqe R1 is not an option anymore, whilst the C4 v2 is still in the game at this point. I also happen to prefer the look and practicality of the C4 v2's front I/O.

Dan has one job... make that case mATX 😑
If that fails, all of my hopes will be pinned on the Ncase M1 EVO v2.

@loopaddiction : I recall reading on the German forum that Dan intended to paint the C4 v2, due to the side panels having a naturally different tint from the front. Something around these lines. It's a bummer.

Covuk

Average Stuffer
Jun 13, 2023
@loopaddiction : I recall reading on the German forum that Dan intended to paint the C4 v2, due to the side panels having a naturally different tint from the front. Something around these lines. It's a bummer.
Eh? Can't say that the anodised finish on side and front is any different on the v1 - or if it is, then it's barely noticeable. A paint finish would definitely put me off v2 completely - in my experience paint always looks rubbish after a few years no matter how "premium" it's claimed to be

Facteur

Chassis Packer
Feb 6, 2024
Eh? Can't say that the anodised finish on side and front is any different on the v1 - or if it is, then it's barely noticeable. A paint finish would definitely put me off v2 completely - in my experience paint always looks rubbish after a few years no matter how "premium" it's claimed to be

Here's what Dan wrote (auto-translated from German) :
The front of the v2 is made of aluminum and the side panels are made of steel. Mesh panels can only be made well from steel because aluminum would deform too much.

The front of the C4-SFXv2 is anodized (silver or black) like the v1. Steel cannot be anodized, so it must be painted. In the black version of the case, the color of the side panels is very close to the anodized black. With silver, this is very difficult because the color is also matt and has less shine than the anodized surface.
Source : https://www.computerbase.de/forum/threads/dan-c4-sfx.1923191/page-61#post-29106498

loopaddiction

Caliper Novice
Dec 4, 2018

Interesting...I don't recall this being the case with V1, IIRC? I also preferred the ventilation design of the original C4 side panels, but the change didn't seem too drastic aesthetically. I'm just happy it didn't go full-blown boombox speaker fine mesh like the M1 Evo or the new budget A3.

This is exactly why I'm going to wait it out until cases are available and reviewed. Likely going to be a situation of choosing which design ends up having the least amount of compromises.

Last edited:

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
This doesn't explain why this wasn't the way it was done on v1 though?
The devil is in the detail, as in: The V2 is supposed to get MESH side panels. MESH. Not simply hole-stamped side panels as before.
And this wasnt done with the v1 because of the overall design language - the A4-SFX got those hole-stamped side panels, the A4-H2O got them, and the C4-SFX V1 got them, too.

Now, out of some reason (my guess: improved air flow) it was decided to change the side panels to Mesh, ie. a much denser hole to material ratio, and now this dilemma appears.

And why not go with a darker, medium grey color instead, so the color clash could be better mitigated? Well, I'd guess it'd look way too much like a FormD T1 or M1 Evo clone.

cu, w0lf.

Reactions: Facteur and rfarmer

incunabula

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 14, 2019
What motherboard standard do you plan to use?

While the C4-SFX v2 is being prototyped i like to know what kind of parts do you plan for your v2 build.
Link to SURVEY: https://forms.gle/CpntrCoEtBPJBimx7

Whichever results in the release and continued sale of a product.

konnerbllb

Cable Smoosher
Jun 1, 2022
Was also a big fan of the stamped holes as it gave a far more polished look as opposed to mesh panels.

Stamped holes are easier to clean too. I hate cleaning mesh, it get's dirty so quickly, is fragile, and takes a long time. Stamped holes are ideal.

Is the mesh to reduce panel (shipping) weight? If so I would gladly pay more in shipping for stamped hole panels.

Dampfbox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2022
What motherboard standard do you plan to use?
Usually, the first post after a few months of silence is used to explain the few months of silence. Since you do not waste a single word on this issue, do you consider this a normal update interval nowadays?

Because from reading this thread, my impression is that customers seem dissatisfied with the flow of information and the frequency of posting updates on here.

alfdpw

Chassis Packer
Oct 19, 2022
UPDATE C4-SFXv2:

Hi together, i think it is time to break the silence and give some updates for C4-SFXv2.

I wish I can show you a prototype today or a production has stated update. I wasted a lot of month last year for the side IO design and the flat packed possibility on the round front panel version with bottom striped. I call it dev hell but it is what it is. At the end I made the decision to put flat pack on hold and do it on a later revision. So I updated the v1 drawing to v2 design, size and features.

My work on this is 99% done so I will order a sample next week and update the manual. If prototype test will be fine we are ready for the next production run. Thank you for your feedback and help. On my next update I will show you the prototype.

Regards Daniel

View attachment 3168
I guess it is now too late but I would have loved it if it was a little bit longer (360 mm) in order to fit a little bit longer GPUs and have more room for cable management. A 4.4 slot GPU support seems ridiculous to me. I'm guessing the increase is in order to fit slim fans in conjunction with thiccc GPUs🤔

Quigonjinn

Trash Compacter
May 8, 2023
I have used painted cases for years and they look the same as day one.

I ordered the Louqe. The higher cpu cooler limit and much more relaxed width for gpu side cables is what won me over. Also the C4 v2 just looks too tall and weird aspect ratio to me in new renders.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 4, 2016
Usually, the first post after a few months of silence is used to explain the few months of silence. Since you do not waste a single word on this issue, do you consider this a normal update interval nowadays?

Because from reading this thread, my impression is that customers seem dissatisfied with the flow of information and the frequency of posting updates on here.

While I understand the passion around the DAN-C4 product line, I don't think the passive aggressive tone is necessary. Please be nice toward each other.

Covuk

Average Stuffer
Jun 13, 2023
To be fair, "passion" isn't really the right word. Years to even get a product, only to find out that it is in ridiculously short supply and then immediately discontinued in order to implement some alleged improvements that are, once again, taking many months longer than predicted.

I managed to get a C4 v1 and appreciate Dan's skill and the end product, but objectively this one isn't being handled well from a customer perspective.

Last edited:

Dampfbox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2022
While I understand the passion around the DAN-C4 product line
I can assure you that my passion for this specific product ended right in time with the horribly failed launch that v1 has been. I mean, the EU launch was baaaad, but US based customers got outright lied to when they were promised Q4-2023 availability.

Also, I'm completely with you when it comes to being nice to each other, but I insist on my right to communicate my fact-based dissatisfaction with how things are being handled - and this includes asking Dan if he is actually aware of this being a problem or if he simply considers this normal business behaviour.

Reactions: Facteur