SS 135
SN850x 1tb mvme

Coming tomorrow:
Case
7800x3d
Asus b650e itx
Asus Loki sfx-l 750w
G.Skill Flare X5 32GB 6000MHz CL32

Think that's all, as I said just need GPU.

Nice, similar build to what I am doing.
Still holding out on a GPU as well.
I went with the noctua D12L, which is super silent, and a loki 850W, which is also impressively silent.
For the mb I went with a asus b650e-i, and I am sad to say I never expected to have the loudest part of a system be the motherboard.

I never even imagined coil whine could sound like this.
I imagined it would be a high pitched sound, but in this case it almost sounds like an HDD drive, not the spinning, but the seeking rattling sounds.
It does seem to be related to the power scaling, which is more noticeable under low loads.

I am hoping for a BIOS update that mitigates this, but the issues I fear will always be there.

Sharing this here to help others. I wish I was aware of it before buying it (got the parts too far apart in time, so I didn't notice it until the return period was over ... live and learn I guess).

Reactions: izumka and Oggie

grum

Efficiency Noob
May 29, 2023
Hello, I am rocking an ASRock B650E PG-ITX and the eDP on the back of the motherboard has been really bugging me lately, the ASRock 13.3" sidepanel kit would technically fit and I'm thinking of a way I could mount it onto the case, considering it only weighs 600g it should be too hard to make some sort of custom supporting system (included one doesn't work since it's made for internal tempered glas operation) for it and the cable can be an after thought. It would only block the airflow to the PSU's fan but I could probably make enough space when mounting it so it would get enough air anyway and its just small enough that it doesn't actually interfere where the GPU is. Thoughts?

Oggie

Average Stuffer
Apr 25, 2023
Nice, similar build to what I am doing.
Still holding out on a GPU as well.
I went with the noctua D12L, which is super silent, and a loki 850W, which is also impressively silent.
For the mb I went with a asus b650e-i, and I am sad to say I never expected to have the loudest part of a system be the motherboard.

I never even imagined coil whine could sound like this.
I imagined it would be a high pitched sound, but in this case it almost sounds like an HDD drive, not the spinning, but the seeking rattling sounds.
It does seem to be related to the power scaling, which is more noticeable under low loads.

I am hoping for a BIOS update that mitigates this, but the issues I fear will always be there.

Sharing this here to help others. I wish I was aware of it before buying it (got the parts too far apart in time, so I didn't notice it until the return period was over ... live and learn I guess).
That sucks about mobo coil whine, I heard it's common with our model. To be honest haven't even listened to it....will have a listen tonight as building new desk this week so the case will be close to me. Is it only under load or at all times ?

Albatross1486

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2023
Would make sense, I guess what is confusing me most is that Optimum Tech's review video shows him placing it in with the large fin stack on the left but then the final product ends up having it on the right.
I am using a different cooler, but I'm going to intake from the rear. In the case of OT, if he's intaking from the rear, you'd want the larger fin stack on the left with the fan in between the stacks, blowing to the left. This is what @dPunisher said.
To be honest, in his video, I'm not sure how he has it set up. If I were exhausting (D12L fan going right) out the back, I'd have the side 140mm as an intake. But given that I'm going to have two intake fans on top, I want both the CPU and GPU to get fresh cool air and the side fan will exhaust both of their heat.

Rndrn

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 21, 2022
Hello, I am rocking an ASRock B650E PG-ITX and the eDP on the back of the motherboard has been really bugging me lately, the ASRock 13.3" sidepanel kit would technically fit and I'm thinking of a way I could mount it onto the case, considering it only weighs 600g it should be too hard to make some sort of custom supporting system (included one doesn't work since it's made for internal tempered glas operation) for it and the cable can be an after thought. It would only block the airflow to the PSU's fan but I could probably make enough space when mounting it so it would get enough air anyway and its just small enough that it doesn't actually interfere where the GPU is. Thoughts?
I'm planning on using this MB as well, did you build with it in the C4? Any issue to highlight?

rui

Efficiency Noob
Apr 5, 2023
That sucks about mobo coil whine, I heard it's common with our model. To be honest haven't even listened to it....will have a listen tonight as building new desk this week so the case will be close to me. Is it only under load or at all times ?
Mostly under low to medium load scenarios.
It is not loud, but once you hear it it can be annoying.

There's some more info about it here: https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/amd-600-series/rog-strix-b650e-i-coil-whine/td-p/895136

Oggie

Average Stuffer
Apr 25, 2023
Mostly under low to medium load scenarios.
It is not loud, but once you hear it it can be annoying.

There's some more info about it here: https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/amd-600-series/rog-strix-b650e-i-coil-whine/td-p/895136
Just had read through that thread and played videos with sound of the problem and to be honest I can't hear anything other than the fans. I do suffer from tinnitus so that might be a good thing in this occasion. When. I get my PC running again I'll give it a listen and get back to you. I can imagine it must drive people crazy though.

Reactions: rui

Albatross1486

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2023
Just had read through that thread and played videos with sound of the problem and to be honest I can't hear anything other than the fans. I do suffer from tinnitus so that might be a good thing in this occasion. When. I get my PC running again I'll give it a listen and get back to you. I can imagine it must drive people crazy though.
I also have tinnitus, I wonder how much this helps us. I guess there is an upside!
I'm aiming to use the Giga first, but it's now out of stock at Microcenter. However, no shipping info on the C4 means I may have a bit longer to go. The MSI and AsRock are probably OK boards, I guess I'll just have to wait for the case and then make a choice.

Wolfe1

Trash Compacter
Dec 12, 2019
Just a data point for those waiting, In Batch 2 of the Computer Orbit shipments and just got my shipping information this morning. No estimated date or actual package movement yet but its something!

Reactions: rfarmer

Albatross1486

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2023
Just a data point for those waiting, In Batch 2 of the Computer Orbit shipments and just got my shipping information this morning. No estimated date or actual package movement yet but its something!
Damn, I think I'm in batch 1 from Orbit and still don't have a date or movement, just a label.

Senaxx

Caliper Novice
Aug 24, 2017
I received my case last week and i'm now gathering the parts for the build. So far
  • 7800X3D
  • ASUS ROG Strix B650E-I GAMING WIFI
  • Cooler Master V850 SFX
  • G.Skill Flare X5 32GB 6000MHz CL32
  • Already got 4090FE
  • 2 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax.black.swap (slim) as extra intake for the 4090
The only thing I'm not sure of is the CPU cooling. I see a lot of Noctua D12L but I'm thinking of going with an AIO. The NZXT Kraken X53 has a 3cm radiator and 26mm fans. But i'm not sure if it will fit. Any suggestions?

Ninja-edit:
Just noticed that other motherboards like Gigabyte B650M GAMING X AX also fit.... so with the Asus debacle I'm might consider this one.

Last edited:

Wolfe1

Trash Compacter
Dec 12, 2019
Damn, I think I'm in batch 1 from Orbit and still don't have a date or movement, just a label.
That is weird...mine just said picked up with an estimated arrival date of June 1st which is a heavy doubt as its still in the UK and its Tuesday haha

Last edited: