DAN C4-SFX

FredL

Cable Smoosher
Jan 20, 2023
My A4's big brother arrived this morning - unexpectedly a day early!

It's a thing of beauty - perfectly machined.

My plan is for the C4 to be a powerhouse (probably with a 7900X3D for prod and VR), and the A4 to be my portable efficiency machine and backup. No components bought yet (I'll be moving my 4070 TI into the C4 from the A4). Choice of motherboard is proving difficult - I want to avoid Asus, but in terms of UK stock ATM may be the only choice. Does anyone have any experience of ASRock motherboards with AMD?

Oggie

Average Stuffer
Apr 25, 2023
Asus mobo only has one fan header, one aio header and one CPU fan header. I want to run CPU cooler with one fan, that goes into CPU fan header. Now two fans on top of GPU along with one on side as our take, what my options....buy 3 way fan splitter ? I take it aio header would run fans at 100% so that's a no go.

Wolfe1

Trash Compacter
Dec 12, 2019
Asus mobo only has one fan header, one aio header and one CPU fan header. I want to run CPU cooler with one fan, that goes into CPU fan header. Now two fans on top of GPU along with one on side as our take, what my options....buy 3 way fan splitter ? I take it aio header would run fans at 100% so that's a no go.
From my experience the aio header on asus boards detects if its attached to an aio or not. If its not then it just runs as a normal fan header. Im running the same setup so i plan to just use one 2 to 1 splitter for the top gpu fans.

Oggie

Average Stuffer
Apr 25, 2023
From my experience the aio header on asus boards detects if its attached to an aio or not. If its not then it just runs as a normal fan header. Im running the same setup so i plan to just use one 2 to 1 splitter for the top gpu fans.
Ah will try that, did a bit of reading up and apparently header can be changed from DC to PWM.

Albatross1486

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2023
Ah will try that, did a bit of reading up and apparently header can be changed from DC to PWM.
Yeah, that's ideal. You can also use the regular fan header for it, depending on placement. I'm going to run rear and CPU fan from the CPU header, 2x top intakes from another, and the exhaust from the last. Just depends what is easier to reach from each fan location.

Reactions: Oggie

Oggie

Average Stuffer
Apr 25, 2023
Yeah, that's ideal. You can also use the regular fan header for it, depending on placement. I'm going to run rear and CPU fan from the CPU header, 2x top intakes from another, and the exhaust from the last. Just depends what is easier to reach from each fan location.
On my mobo they are all next to each other. Will order GPU next week and when all done will take some pics. Sfx-l PSU was a bit of a tight squeeze so swapped it from my other PC for Corsair sfx 750w which fits very nicely. It was such easy case to build in. Will run some benchmarks to see how ss135 performs without GPU in the case.

Reactions: Albatross1486

rodmansff

Case Bender
New User
May 28, 2023
Placed my preorder with Orbit to ship to the USA. Im hoping the next batch isn't too long off and not months. Such a beautiful and well designed case.

Does anyone know if going the air cooling route, if you attach the 80/92mm fan to the back for intake (next to the CPU cooler) if that will help reduce temperature at all? Im curious if the reduced temp is negligible vs adding more noise.

sir_lurk_alot

What's an ITX?
New User
May 28, 2023
I would be very curious about the minimum (=all power saving options in bios and OS optimized) desktop idle power that people have reached with their builds. most sources suggest that the intel platforms beat AM5 in this regard.

could all of you please report? thanks alot!

SWONG

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 27, 2023
Hi mates! To make the wait more bearable or perhaps quite the opposite... 😅

Here's the video of my build:

Great build!
It seems the D12L is pretty close to the bottom. Did you encounter the issue Dan explained (see below) when closing the AIO/FAN bracket? How do you feel about the pressure?
The MSI one requires some pressure on the Aio bracket above the D12L because of the low socket position and sit of the D12L. This is why i changed it

Reactions: dPunisher

dPunisher

Chassis Packer
Aug 20, 2021
www.youtube.com
Great build!
It seems the D12L is pretty close to the bottom. Did you encounter the issue Dan explained (see below) when closing the AIO/FAN bracket? How do you feel about the pressure?
Thank you! Yes, I noticed it was touching the D12L. The pressure was minimal, so I screwed the bracket without applying any force. And in operation, it doesn't have any issues, at least with my MoBo.

Reactions: SWONG and rfarmer

FredL

Cable Smoosher
Jan 20, 2023
My C4 component choices so far.

7900X3D (Some prod stuff, so chose this over 7800x3D)
Noctua NH-D12L
CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 64GB (2x32)
Inno3D 4070 TI (From the A4)
Motherboard TBC
Thermaltake Toughpower SFX 750W Gen 5 (Seems to be the only 750W SFX PSU available in the UK at the moment.)
P14 PWM PST 140mm Fan
Samsung 980Pro 1TB M.2 PCIe4 x2 (Planning one for OS & Apps, and the other for data. Choice of RAID 0 in future.)
Crucial MX500 4TB (From the A4)

Will order extra fans as needed.

Last edited:

Wolfe1

Trash Compacter
Dec 12, 2019
Placed my preorder with Orbit to ship to the USA. Im hoping the next batch isn't too long off and not months. Such a beautiful and well designed case.

Does anyone know if going the air cooling route, if you attach the 80/92mm fan to the back for intake (next to the CPU cooler) if that will help reduce temperature at all? Im curious if the reduced temp is negligible vs adding more noise.
Dan had some testing somewhere in this thread that said the 92mm fan didn’t do much of anything with something like the D12L as the cpu cooler. In some cases it can make things worse if you cause some turbulence so i would say its not worth the trouble or extra noise.

ludot

What's an ITX?
New User
May 29, 2023
Looks like it will be about $100 more to get it shipped from Computer Orbit... or wait several months...

While Dan has confirmed with Caseking that they dont have an order in, I spoke with pccasegear and they are adamant that they will have them in 'a couple of months'...
Yeh I hope what they’ve told you is accurate. I was really hoping to get this case at launch!

Wolfe1

Trash Compacter
Dec 12, 2019
So I am noticing builds where the NH-D12L is oriented with the larger fin-stack on the left or the right. Is there a preferred orientation for this or what are the benefits of one way over the other?

dPunisher

Chassis Packer
Aug 20, 2021
www.youtube.com
So I am noticing builds where the NH-D12L is oriented with the larger fin-stack on the left or the right. Is there a preferred orientation for this or what are the benefits of one way over the other?
IMHO, it is better to place the fan in push on the larger fins to achieve better cooler performance, and if you orient it the other way around, you wouldn't be able.

Reactions: Wolfe1 and rfarmer