DAN C4-SFX

NOB

What's an ITX?
New User
May 24, 2023
First of all, excuse me for such a novice post, but I have a series of doubts about the components to buy to mount in this box that I have already bought. Previously I had a first generation Ncase, with which I was very happy but it has become too small for the new graphics cards.

As of today I have already ordered the C4-SFX and I have also bought a Loki SFX-l 850W power supply, a 2TB Samsung 980pro PCIE NVME SSD and a 1TB Samsung Nvme 980 (not pro). Provisionally I will use a 2080Ti until I find a good price for a 4080 or similar...

I have serious doubts when buying the rest of components, I do not know if an I7 12700, an i7 13800, or a Ryzen 7700x and its corresponding motherboard. I'm going crazy reading configurations.

It is clear to me that most people use the Noctua NH-D12L as a CPU fan, I do not plan to use any liquid cooling.

Can anyone recommend me any configuration of motherboard + CPU + RAM + heatsink + case fans?

I do not want to go to the top of the range, I would like something a little more economical but of good quality.

StressedOutCat

Cable Smoosher
Jun 16, 2016
First of all, excuse me for such a novice post, but I have a series of doubts about the components to buy to mount in this box that I have already bought. Previously I had a first generation Ncase, with which I was very happy but it has become too small for the new graphics cards.

As of today I have already ordered the C4-SFX and I have also bought a Loki SFX-l 850W power supply, a 2TB Samsung 980pro PCIE NVME SSD and a 1TB Samsung Nvme 980 (not pro). Provisionally I will use a 2080Ti until I find a good price for a 4080 or similar...

I have serious doubts when buying the rest of components, I do not know if an I7 12700, an i7 13800, or a Ryzen 7700x and its corresponding motherboard. I'm going crazy reading configurations.

It is clear to me that most people use the Noctua NH-D12L as a CPU fan, I do not plan to use any liquid cooling.

Can anyone recommend me any configuration of motherboard + CPU + RAM + heatsink + case fans?

I do not want to go to the top of the range, I would like something a little more economical but of good quality.

Hi Nob,

I would recommend you use the following SFF Google Docs Master List to check your clearances in regards to what card and ram configuration you wanna use with your cooler.

the Noctua NH-D12L is great cooler, and it will work great in the C4-SFX, just be mindful that you don't get ram taller than 45mm, as then you can't use that cooler.

As for your build on what to get, it all down to preference, Most people go with AMD 7800X3D build.
but it all down to needs, wants and cost.

Reactions: futaris

Oggie

Average Stuffer
Apr 25, 2023
For me personally I've decided to go with 7800x3d build, choosing which motherboard to go with is difficult decision with all this burning CPU issues....not sure which maker can be trusted....use to buy Asus.

Last edited:
Reactions: ronstew

StressedOutCat

Cable Smoosher
Jun 16, 2016
For me personally I've decided to go with 7800x3d build, choosing which motherboard to go with is difficult decision with all this burning CPU issues....not sure which maker can be trusted....use to buy Asus.
think the asus stuff is mostly resolved, but i would hold off buying stuff till at least after computex which should start end of this month.. just in case there are any new announcement that will impact either price or your choice on what to get.

Reactions: ronstew and Oggie

Oggie

Average Stuffer
Apr 25, 2023
think the asus stuff is mostly resolved, but i would hold off buying stuff till at least after computex which should start end of this month.. just in case there are any new announcement that will impact either price or your choice on what to get.
Will do, thanks for the tip. Still waiting for the case to come, also buying parts as see good prices/discounts. Not in hurry as currently have another PC which will pass down to my daughter.

Albatross1486

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2023
Currently planning on the Gigabyte Aorus B650 board for a 7900X. I like the features of the Strix, but the recent issues plus the price differential swayed me to the Gigabyte.

Oggie

Average Stuffer
Apr 25, 2023
Currently planning on the Gigabyte Aorus B650 board for a 7900X. I like the features of the Strix, but the recent issues plus the price differential swayed me to the Gigabyte.
Wish could get stock in UK, only shop that sells it is Amazon but they import it from US. Not sure that's ideal with warranty.

TheClash

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2017
Yeah this is the board I am looking at as well... for my 7800X3d... and I also swayed to this from the Asus for the exact same reasons. Asus a little bit on the out at the moment.

Dampfbox

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2022
There are a grand total of 2 radiators that I'm aware of that will fit the C4 bracket, the corsair XR5 which is a slim 30mm model or the aquacomputer radiators
I think Dan stated that the EKWB Surface S rads will also fit. (edit: they most likely will not)

Bitspower also offers both a 30mm thick and a 27mm thick radiator with 140mm wideness.

Anyway, you might just be able to dremel away the bent edges from the radiator bracket since it should be sturdy enough anyway once a rad is screwed into it...

I'm gonna take a look at that after I finally unboxed my C4-SFX, did not quite have the time yet :(

Last edited:

Jeps

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 24, 2023
@Jeps i currently cannot test that, as the system is not working (and sadly i've no fan <-> molex/sata adapter here). but a quick run of one of the top fans with panel closed (attached it to my old system) did show, that with low RPM (idle) i could not hear it. more/full RPM you could obviously here the fan. i'll report back to that once i've the possibility to test that.
Looking forward to hearing you experiences as I'm planning a similar build. Its been a big problem for me in the Q58 but I am running a 13900k so the fans do need to work hard to keep it in check.
I think Dan stated that the EKWB Surface S rads will also fit.

EK lists them as 145mm wide so sadly they won't.

Reactions: Dampfbox

Albatross1486

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2023
Yeah this is the board I am looking at as well... for my 7800X3d... and I also swayed to this from the Asus for the exact same reasons. Asus a little bit on the out at the moment.
I'm really hoping the mezzanine board doesn't interfere with the SS135 cooler I got...
It's a real shame about the Asus issues, I would have paid the extra to get another USB-C on the back, and not need a daughterboard or mezzanine board, even if I only get 2 m.2 slots. There are tradeoffs for every single B650 ITX board right now.

Reactions: Oggie

Antioch

Trash Compacter
Oct 15, 2019
@Jeps i currently cannot test that, as the system is not working (and sadly i've no fan <-> molex/sata adapter here). but a quick run of one of the top fans with panel closed (attached it to my old system) did show, that with low RPM (idle) i could not hear it. more/full RPM you could obviously here the fan. i'll report back to that once i've the possibility to test that.

Thanks for sharing all of your experiences. I am also considering dual custom loop so this is great information.

Please share your experience with fan noise from the side panel as well, as I've noticed that you mounted the fans there first as well which may cause a similar issue as with the top mounting.

Could you share a picture and measurement of the area between the "top" of the GPU waterblock (which is now the side as it's mounted horizontally) and the side panel? I'm curious how much room there is between the two as the waterblock I'm looking at has the barbs in the traditional location (As opposed to your block which has them at the "back").

Also, how much space is there between the rad and the PSU/CPU block with your 45mm rad + 25mm fans? I assume you're using the CPU Pump/Block from EK? I ask because that one is taller than EK's pump-less CPU block

Thanks!

Antioch

Trash Compacter
Oct 15, 2019
... Surely there was room to make the bracket a couple of mm wider?!
What part are you talking about, specifically?

Is it this? If so, perhaps the yellow-highlighted panel easy-connect plugs are what interferes with a larger rad mounted directly against the bracket thus, no, there isn't more room?

Dampfbox

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2022
What part are you talking about, specifically?
He is referring to the side radiator mounting bracket, which because of the bend on its edges will not accomodate radiators wider than 141mm:

Reactions: Jeps

Krulen

Efficiency Noob
May 23, 2023
Finish my build
I went from 14 L to 14,7 L. Going from silverstone raven RZ1 to the C4-SFX my 5900x went from 94°C to 81°C in stress test, and from jet turbine to silence ! Motherboard lost some 15 degrees too, and top SSD lost 10 degrees !
I had a Noctua L12S in sandwitch between two A12x15 + two 9,2 mm fan (rear position) to help cool this CPU. And now just the NH-D12L with double fan is doing that perfectly !

blackreplica

Cable Smoosher
Sep 28, 2019
Update for the dual-rad enthusiasts: Thanks to the tips from @dondan i packed everything inside (except cables and tubes) to do exact measurements. The "slightly" non-aligned GPU bothered me, so i inspected the MoBo and got rid of the side part of the Chipset Cooler - now its only the weight at the back thats pulling it down a bit (think i can align it a bit with the tubes), otherwise it fits now perfectly. As i can pull out the GPU without disassembling the rest, i'm thinking of using quick-connects on the gpu (when the 5xxx-series arrives :D).

Concerning 12VHPWR: i got various adapters/options (CableMod, ModDIY), but none of them really fits, best for me (at the moment) is the PSU Cable.

Now i need to figure out where to put which fittings and how and where to put the tubes (and cables) - but especially due to the waterblock on the GPU theres plenty of space above the PSU for tubing/cabling :-)

@dondan congrats to the design, building is really enjoyable. Best thing for me is, that you can unscrew everything (i needed to remove one of the upper parts to fit the rad). Do you think the space between rad/GPU is enough to pull some air? (its about 7mm)

Initial Version with GPU sitting on part of ChipsetCooler

Re-Fitted GPU (Chipset Cooler Side-Panel removed)

Back (still with the angled GPU, didn't do a new pic here)

Space between front rad and psu
May i confirm you are using 25mm fans with a 30mm rad? What is the thickness of your waterblock?

am trying a similar dual rad build and want to make sure there is adequate room with the parts selection. Trying to get by without using ultrasl fans and with 30mm rads if possible

Oggie

Average Stuffer
Apr 25, 2023
Finish my build
I went from 14 L to 14,7 L. Going from silverstone raven RZ1 to the C4-SFX my 5900x went from 94°C to 81°C in stress test, and from jet turbine to silence ! Motherboard lost some 15 degrees too, and top SSD lost 10 degrees !
I had a Noctua L12S in sandwitch between two A12x15 + two 9,2 mm fan (rear position) to help cool this CPU. And now just the NH-D12L with double fan is doing that perfectly !
We need pics :cool: