DAN C4-SFX

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Max GPU support for the C4-SFX is 3.5 Slot a 4 Slot GPU will not fit and this is good.

I do not like this trend. 500-650W for an GPU?
I vote for government regulation for max power consumtion on cosumer hardware like on vacuum cleaners in the EU.
Furthermore we use SFX, M.2 s.o. but GPUs become bigger and bigger? This doesnt make sense.
For me 4 Slot GPU has nothing to do with SFF. It is MATX/ATX size class.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Max GPU support for the C4-SFX is 3.5 Slot a 4 Slot GPU will not fit and this is good.

I vote for government regulation for max power consumtion on cosumer hardware like on vacuum cleaners in the EU.
Furthermore we use SFX, M.2 s.o. but GPUs become bigger and bigger? This doesnt make sense.
For me 4 Slot GPU has nothing to do with SFF. It is MATX/ATX size class.
I totally agree with you Dan, GPUs are getting completely out of control.

Here is the new EVGA RTX 3090 Ti, a 3.75 slot card and probably a taste of things to come with 4000 series.

Reactions: Talyrius

D90

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2017
I agree completely with both of you the power draw is outrageous, but until a new architecture is developed that will allow for less power demands this is the way it seems to be going… I’m glad the C4 will support 3.5 slot so it doesn’t knee cap putting in some of the more powerful cards for the next generation.

triste_lune

Efficiency Noob
Mar 10, 2022
hello

sorry but this is nothing new, since the time of the first ibm pc which was running on 200 watt power supply probably with no cooler on the cpu,
computer cpu are getting more and more powerfull and are slow using more power and generate more heat, once 3d graphics cards started they followed the same trend, and what ever is the future, it will keep going this way.

Yes time to time we will see a technological leap forward than will all for a big power and heat, reduction but this append time to time and between to leap it will keep following this trend.

We are gettings closer to such leap (at least i hope it will be) ,with a new way of making cpu that will be realeased in some year probably after N2 or N1
Some pressure but the trend will stay the same, just restarting from lower level than it was

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
Not to mention that under the current circumstances, there's no point in focusing development towards more performance. The current availability, pricing and the fact that prev gen gpu's are more valuable now than ever before since launch made a lot of people missed out on the new gen. Why not keep the current performance level and focus on efficiency for a change?
There are 2 slot ITX 3060's out there which are 1/8 of this size and weight and are pretty capable. The EVGA 3060Ti XC is also a great little product, not to mention the A2000. Why not turn towards this direction and develop gpu's with the same performance but less power consumption and possibly smaller frame?
nVidia and AMD had a great year with the mining craze with record breaking profit and got confirmed that a shameless servitude of miners is the way to keep going forward. I wonder if there will be any 2 slot gpu's in the future, but I sincerely hope that we get some.

Reactions: dondan

triste_lune

Efficiency Noob
Mar 10, 2022
Not to mention that under the current circumstances, there's no point in focusing development towards more performance. The current availability, pricing and the fact that prev gen gpu's are more valuable now than ever before since launch made a lot of people missed out on the new gen. Why not keep the current performance level and focus on efficiency for a change?
There are 2 slot ITX 3060's out there which are 1/8 of this size and weight and are pretty capable. The EVGA 3060Ti XC is also a great little product, not to mention the A2000. Why not turn towards this direction and develop gpu's with the same performance but less power consumption and possibly smaller frame?
nVidia and AMD had a great year with the mining craze with record breaking profit and got confirmed that a shameless servitude of miners is the way to keep going forward. I wonder if there will be any 2 slot gpu's in the future, but I sincerely hope that we get some.

Because most people won't want to spend money to update their hardware just for better efficiency (except if you can save significantly more money that the change will cost you) and they will keep i,t until it die.

Then they will change it.

Also there is still usage that need more compute power.

I agree a 3090ti at 2250€ is stupid, for me the high end is the 3080, after that it's show off gpu to have the biggest on the market, and be the bigboss.

A 3060ti is enough for most users, but if you look at your 3060ti and compare it to a 10 years old x60 gpu, you will see what monster it is.

The trend as always been there, and will keep going on, until we reach a limit we can't pass through.

This is what keep people upgrading their hardware, and allow the industry to make a lot of money, and sustain investment to keep the tech going on.

Yes you will still see 2 slot gpu (blower power) and even single slot gpu (watercooling power)

triste_lune

Efficiency Noob
Mar 10, 2022
to came back to the topic subject , i just discovered this new Dan design, and i like it a lot.

I was looking at the A4-H2O for my next build.

But this one may be the one i was seeking for some time, and if you can fit a second 240 or 208 rad at the top when watercooling the gpu, 4 slot gpu is no more an issue.

I will dig for info in t his thread to see what he has to offer

Thanks Dan for the good job you do with your cases.

D90

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2017
to came back to the topic subject , i just discovered this new Dan design, and i like it a lot.

I was looking at the A4-H2O for my next build.

But this one may be the one i was seeking for some time, and if you can fit a second 240 or 208 rad at the top when watercooling the gpu, 4 slot gpu is no more an issue.

I will dig for info in t his thread to see what he has to offer

Thanks Dan for the good job you do with your cases.
It can be an issue for those who don’t water cool :(

Dan - To be clear we are of the same opinion on power consumption and quad slot gpus. The reason I asked if you had considered a render of what it could look like in the C4 was simply to see if it was dooable aesthetically. I personally don’t want a 450W anything in my case but another point of view to consider is simply what cards will people be able to actually get their hands on when this case launches. A 4060 that is 15% faster than a 3090 is great for me, but can I get it..? Will Ethereum skyrocket again and consume all of the midrange cards out there to miners? From what I saw this past year when there were no cards around to buy the one you could get was the 3090. If history repeats itself will I have to give up my C4 dreams simply because all I can find is a 4 slot 4090…?

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@D90: From a aesthetically point of view i think a 4 slot C4 would be look nicer because of the better ratio between height and width. It will let the the case look more slim.

But if you really looking into the 4 slot plus class i am working on a mATX case with LianLi that does support 4.5Slot, ATX psu and 360 AIO in ~19l. This beast will handle these 1000W load systems.

tangoak

Cable Smoosher
Aug 23, 2019
But if you really looking into the 4 slot plus class i am working on a mATX case with LianLi that does support 4.5Slot, ATX psu and 360 AIO in ~19l. This beast will handle these 1000W load systems.
Can I find more info on this beast somewhere?

Btw. any info about schedule of C4?

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015

That is exciting news, thanks Dan! SFF mATX has been rather neglected recently, and there aren't that many decent boards to play with.
Hopefully there will be some creative and inventive DAN Case DNA in there with Lian Li quality.
The SFF nerd in me still would like to see something decent for mATX in 15L or so just for the challenge!

Maybe a separate thread for the mATX beast would be good if you're allowed to discuss it...

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016

Finally. I thought I'm the only one who think this way.

IMHO, even 3 slots GPU is already a sad situation for SFF community.

I really hope something can be done by AMD/Nvidia/other GPU vendor to increase performance by architecture improvement instead of just pumping watts :(

Cerjiuh

Chassis Packer
Jun 23, 2021

New noctua tower cooler with 145mm height. Will it be compatible with the C4 using the side bracket?

lucinski

Cable Smoosher
Apr 14, 2020

New noctua tower cooler with 145mm height. Will it be compatible with the C4 using the side bracket?
I say add 2-3 more mm in width to the case so that it will fit for certain. I imagine this unit will be the go-to cooler for the majority of C4 buyers, so with the extra 2-3mm, fitment will not be an issue for anyone.

Reactions: D90

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015

Now you know why the rad bracket has these special cutout on the right side. I have a D12L sample here and got it month ago. It will fit perfectly in the C4-SFX and the performance is much better than Silver Arrow and C14S.