DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
If i will go with side i/o locking the case in one position will be not a good idea because if you will put your case on your desk in that position that the i/o will face to an wall you can't use it.
Not really... Most people use the pc case on the right side of the monitor. So if you lock the case to that position, you just need to face the acrylic panel and IO to the opposite side (left). Also, you have the option to put IO on top, which I personally prefer, and you said it's a cheaper solution.

Anyway, just a last feedback I would like to give: I know the unibody approach is a backup for now, but I really think you should consider it as the definitive one in the future. The external of the unibody design reminds the A4 a lot, which is very good the way I see, cause it creates a brand identity. Also, it looks much cooler to me, but I know not everyone will agree.

Cheers, and good luck ;)

Vaux

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2018
@BernardoZ
I don't think there will be a big different between both orientations - maybe 2-3°C. But i will test it and let the customers know.
They're a big difference between a fan blocked by a solid surface (or even worse carpet) and one who's not. Especially since the case would have one side air tight

Not really... Most people use the pc case on the right side of the monitor. So if you lock the case to that position, you just need to face the acrylic panel and IO to the opposite side (left). Also, you have the option to put IO on top, which I personally prefer, and you said it's a cheaper solution.
I use it on the left, and my case is designed for that (node 304). And i can't use it at the right of my monitor because the space is taken by my second monitor which is the most common dual screen set up

And the solution for the i/o would be either to put it on top (or in front but it's ugly) or to have the ability to switch sides of it. And honestly having the ports on the perfect side is not really that important on a 10L case

Reactions: BernardoZ

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
They're a big difference between a fan blocked by a solid surface (or even worse carpet) and one who's not. Especially since the case would have one side air tight
If I understand correctly, you are implying that the AIO on the top will work better? If that's so, why offer the option to put it on the bottom by rotating the case? That's what I meant

I use it on the left, and my case is designed for that (node 304). And i can't use it at the right of my monitor because the space is taken by my second monitor which is the most common dual screen set up
Fair enough haha.
So, since Dan thinks there will be almost no temp difference between AIO on top or on bottom, I guess the rotating serves more as an option to use the case on left or right side of the monitor? And not because of AIO position?

Last edited:

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I quote my question to bring the discussion back to this topic:
Currently I plan the different test configuration for the C4-SFX:

Main Components:
-i7 8700
-Motherboard H310 or B360
-Nvidia GTX 1070 Reference/1080ti
-32GB DDR4 VLP
-Corsair 450W SFX PSU

Air Cooler for active cooling:
- Noctua L9i (for A4 comparison)
- Zalman CNPS8900 Quiet
- Thermalright AXP 100

Air Cooler for semi passiv cooling:
- Cryorig C1

AIO Water cooler:
- 2x Asetek 120mm AIO 27mm radiator
- Asetek 240mm AIO 27mm
- Alphacool Eisbaer LT + Eiswolf GPX Pro ( GTX 1070 + (extra test with 30mm thick Alphacool radiator )

Case Fans
- 2x be quiet! Silent Wings 3 2200rpm
- 2x Noctua NF-F12 PWM
- 2x Noctua NF-A12x15

What do you think?

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017

Looks good. In order to optimize the workflow, I suggest you start with the higher end components... also, I don't think you need to test that many fans nor so many cooling options. The L9i for comparison with the A4 is a solid choice. If I'm not mistaken it is also the weakest of the 4 coolers you plan to use, so starting with it is the safe choice. Simply put: if the weakest choice does substantially better... so will the others.

Reactions: owliwar

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
Just install the radiator under the middle plate and the fan over the middleplate :)

If i remove the middleplate i have to add it this plate to the buttom and make the case wider to support 124mm radiators.

That is the next best thing I :p but I was wondering if not having the fan directly on the radiator will decrease cooling performance.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
The middleplate is 1.4mm thick so i think this isn't a problem.

Vaux

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2018
If possible, try to benchmark with an i9 8-12core. I'm really interested in the result, but i get it if you can't since they are pretty expensive (especially with the motherboard)

Drue

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2018
Very excited for these prototypes . Also excited to see what will be the best combination for cooling so I can start purchasing some parts. I will mostly go for 2x 120mm rads 1 for cpu/gpu. I was looking at the CLC 120 for my AIOs. @dondan Can wait to see what you pull out of your hat!

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
The middleplate is 1.4mm thick so i think this isn't a problem.
But you'll also have to add the difference between the thickness of the rad and height of the the radiator compartment. Comes to about 7mm in total if I remember correctly using an h80i v2. EDIT: NVM I'll just have to shim it up. Hello morning brain.

I guess it would be nice if you could test the effect of distance between radiator and fan even with a thinner radiator you have on hand :) sorry I just don't have all the hardware to test this kind of stuff or I would.

Last edited:

sonnyspoon

Case Bender
Apr 9, 2018
Hello, I unfortunately could not participate in the kickstarter of the A4 sfx, but I wish to participate in your new project. I think you have an excellent project.

I have a question for being able to return the case. Are the anti-vibration pads removable to install them on the top of the case?

FdeFons

Caliper Novice
Dec 8, 2017
Personally I do not like the new design, visually it is an A4 and I think that the design original is the good one.

I estimate very much the fact that you ask us and consider our opinions to help yourself (I am satisfied with it) but please @dondan do not change the original idea, since I think that it is a case with personality and that it differs from the rest, But when the same aspect has that the A4 this using his fame and not creating his own fame.

I have created an account only to be able to see the progress of this since it is a fantastic casoo and that you have the last word (as it should be), but if the new design is for cheapening costs, should know that who buys this will pay to him 20$ more that less if it can have the chassis of his dreams and I understand that it wants to make it more affordable but alone I would do it if the difference of price was big

My more sincere respects for creating something so good and I expect to be able to enjoy his case :)

Last edited:

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Maybe a backup solution if i am not happy with the real live results of the current version.

Don't worry only a backup idea. Lian Li is currently making two samples based on these two designs:

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
I personally like the unibody design. It's quite elgant and cleaner looking. I hope it's the one that gets mass produced. I'm sure it'll also reduce your manufacturering cost.

mrbonkers

Cable Smoosher
Feb 25, 2018
Not sure if magnetically mounting the glass to the case would be a solution not drilling holes in the glass?

Or something like the define nano s
mnpctech dot com/fractal-design-define-s/nano-s-clear-side-panel.html

@mrbonkers On the tempered glass topic I have bad news. It will be only acrylic, but I try to get scratch resistant ones. The panel thicknes of the top and bottom panel of the C4 is 1.4mm, so I tried to get 2mm tempered glass. In Taiwan the minimum thickness is 5mm and in China 4mm. A 4mm glass panel will not lock good because it will stand out. Furthermore the keep out zones for mounting holes on tempered glass is 5x material thickness, if you don't comply it, the panel will break while drilling the hole. For my current design the distance is 10mm so it will not work.

The price for the C4-SFX window kit will be very low, because I don't need to add vent holes. So it could be ~20-25€. Furthermore I am thinking of adding the 2.5 Slot riser to the window kit and the 2 Slot riser to the default case. This will reduce the price of the case to 180€ and add 9€ to the window kit. I will made a survey for this topic.

Crysilus

Caliper Novice
Nov 7, 2017
Don't worry only a backup idea. Lian Li is currently making two samples based on these two designs:

Looking at the top design I may still be able to get my own custom piece of glass made for this case. Though if I didn't go with the acrylic or glass I do like the bottom design better. It would be cool to try to get a custom loop in this case, but practically I may just go with the vented side panel with stock gpu and AIO. I'm looking forward to dropping a next gen GPU in this one.

Reactions: Drue

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Hi everyone,

I like to start a discussion about cooling configurations you plan to use inside the C4-SFX. Air cooling, AIOs, fan's and custom water loops everything is allowed.

Maybe we can find some best practice configuration that will help everyone to find suitable cooling solutions for the C4-SFX. Furthermore I hope to see uniq ideas that I not thought about.

With best regards
Daniel Hansen

Last edited:
Reactions: VegetableStu

Matsu

Efficiency Noob
Apr 15, 2018
Hi Dan(iel),

Been following this thread almost everyday for a while now but havent sign up to this forum, but now i finally did it.

First of all great work with the case, so far looking great :thumb: only one thing is a bit disappointing is final change without the tempered glass.. :\ would look much more premium with it.

But your queston regarding the cooling so if am gonna buy this case i will probably use my old AIO, Corsair h100i v2 that cools mine I7-8700K on a Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac motherboard.. :)

Keep up the good work ! :thumb:

Regards from Finland.

Last edited:
Reactions: AleksandarK
Status
Not open for further replies.