DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

galletabah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2016
I have the new alphacool eisbaer and i'll use it, but with another rad.
This rad is not enought for gpu and cpu.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Interesting keep in mind that 2x 120mm single radiators shouldn't be longer than 303mm. For example Asetek use 150.5 long radiators.

Update: regarding to the Alphacool site the Eisbaer LT 120mm radiator is 150mm long so you could fit two of these.

Last edited:

galletabah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2016
Interesting keep in mind that 2x 120mm single radiators shouldn't be longer than 303mm. For example Asetek use 150.5 long radiators.

Update: regarding to the Alphacool site the Eisbaer LT 120mm radiator is 150mm long so you could fit two of these.
yes. I need another radiator because the eisbaer cant handle a simple overclocked cpu

Last edited:

Drue

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2018

Those seem extremely overpriced. I am looking at them for $140 USD when I can buy the EVGA 120 for $60 USD. I could get 2 for the price of one and put it on my GPU with a kit. Any other recommendations that would work?

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Hi everyone,

I like to start a discussion about cooling configurations you plan to use inside the C4-SFX. Air cooling, AIOs, fan's and custom water loops everything is allowed.

Maybe we can find some best practice configuration that will help everyone to find suitable cooling solutions for the C4-SFX. Furthermore I hope to see uniq ideas that I not thought about.

With best regards
Daniel Hansen

I am sure I will be in a minority here, as I intent to air cool a potential C4-SFX build.
My mITX rig travels to LAN night locally ost weeks, and I am not convinced about regularly moving round with a water cooled set up, even with an AIO.
I hope that with dual 120mm fans, i will be able to cool my rig more effectively and more quietly than my current SG13 setup.

The only question for me would be what is the most effective and hopefully quiet CPU cooler that can fit the space available?
I am sure that I can improve on my current C7 with standard fan.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I thinlk the Zalman CNPS8900 Quiet or the old Thermalright AXP100 will be the best air cooling solution. Maybe a semi passiv solution with the Cryorig C1 will be the best but I need to test it.

Reactions: Arboreal

Kineticman

Caliper Novice
Mar 18, 2018
Hi everyone,

I like to start a discussion about cooling configurations you plan to use inside the C4-SFX. Air cooling, AIOs, fan's and custom water loops everything is allowed.

Maybe we can find some best practice configuration that will help everyone to find suitable cooling solutions for the C4-SFX. Furthermore I hope to see uniq ideas that I not thought about.

With best regards
Daniel Hansen
Many thanks for doing this. I believe many will appreciate if you can provide best practice configuration for budget, performance and extreme build like you did to the kickstarter backers for the A4.

Atleast for me these guidelines are invaluable. Contrary to some members I really appreciate the fact that you are taking the time to check out different coolers parts etc. I'm just a regular customer, I'll have to buy every single part How many cpu cooler am I supposed to get before I find the best one?

I understand that these tests probably make your life difficult. But I really appreciate your efforts Many thanks

Reactions: Arboreal and Drue

Drue

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2018
Hi everyone,

With best regards
Daniel Hansen
I am looking to use two 120mm AIO's one for an 8700k and one for the gpu which is going to be the next generation 1080. I will also be using the NF-F12 industrial fans.

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
I am looking to use two 120mm AIO's one for an 8700k and one for the gpu which is going to be the next generation 1080. I will also be using the NF-F12 industrial fans.
I am along this line of thinking as well, except I have two NF-A12 PWMs laying around I plan to use.

I started looking at a couple of Asetek consumer partners and they have 154mm offerings. Looking for these elusive 150.5mm rads Dondan is talking about. Their tech specs on their site is a little lacking.

Drue

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2018
I am along this line of thinking as well, except I have two NF-A12 PWMs laying around I plan to use.

I started looking at a couple of Asetek consumer partners and they have 154mm offerings. Looking for these elusive 150.5mm rads Dondan is talking about. Their tech specs on their site is a little lacking.
Yes it is extremely difficult when youre trying to get things to down the mm. It is ashame these things aren't listed, but I guess since 99% of cases the .5mm or whatever it ends up being doesn't matter. That's why we need to rally together to find the best set up for performance, silence, mix of both.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Every Asetek 120 AIO with a thickness of 27mm should be 150.5 mm long. I have here a Thermaltake Water 3.0 120 AIO for CPU and a Artic 120 AIO for GPU and both are 150.5mm long.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I thinlk the Zalman CNPS8900 Quiet or the old Thermalright AXP100 will be the best air cooling solution. Maybe a semi passiv solution with the Cryorig C1 will be the best but I need to test it.

Dan, thank you for your thoughts on air cooling. I did wonder if the C7 would be lacking in both size and ability to be quiet.
I look forward to seeing how the prototypes look, and how your thermal testing goes.

Drue

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2018
Every Asetek 120 AIO with a thickness of 27mm should be 150.5 mm long. I have here a Thermaltake Water 3.0 120 AIO for CPU and a Artic 120 AIO for GPU and both are 150.5mm long.
I understand this @dondan, but they are charging almost double of any of the other 120 AIO's....There is no way they make the only 120 AIO that 2 would fit inside the C4

rplush

Case Bender
New User
Apr 17, 2018
Dan,

I've been lurking this thread for days now and I can't wait to get my hands on one. Currently have a NCase M1 and I've pretty much run out of options for cooling. I currently have a EVGA Hybrid kit for a 1080ti and a NH-U9S for CPU cooling and I would love to go for an all water cooling setup. It's great to have the Tempered Glass option available for every single revision that you've drawn up, definitely an appeal. The thumbscrew mechanism to secure the panel does not look clean IMO. Since you're sticking with Lian-Li for manufacturing, they've just released the case they've been working with der8uer and it has a unique and clean way that I've seen any case manufacturer implement TG mounting. You can utilize this to mount the metal frame as well as the TG. Is there a way you can implement this mounting set up to make a cleaner side panel mounting?

Reactions: Kineticman

Mallot

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2017
I think any locking mechanism like that is patented, and even though Lian Li manufactures the case, they most likely would take a fee for the patent.

FAQBytes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2017
I think any locking mechanism like that is patented, and even though Lian Li manufactures the case, they most likely would take a fee for the patent.
Depending on the usage fee, it may still be cheaper than drilling the TG holes, and would allow us to keep TG, which I'm willing to pay more for as I am going to be using this as a travel case.

Reactions: Kineticman

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
There is no patend or usage fee on it. If you look at the last picture you can see that the metal sheet + 3M tape + tempered glass sandwitch is very thick. You need 6.5mm for it. Take a look on your ruler and you will see how thick this is. On a 40L case this doesn't matter but on the C4-SFX the case will bee much wider 127.3mm vs 137.5mm.

FAQBytes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2017
I imagine that it could be done only adding 1.5-3mm or so on top of the TG thickness for this case doing it similarly to shown. Those 4 pins have to hold on the entire pane vertically on the Lian Li case. That's a decent amount of force. With the physical size of the pane as well as the orientation changed, the design requirements are far reduced.

Even if that is the case (4-5mm), the portions where it would be in contact with the plate could be slightly recessed, resulting in a near-zero increase in thickness over standard TG. (You'd have to run the sims on interference here as I don't have that ability.)
Since this is a reversible design, should this approach be pursued, sliding the glass from the back and using thumbscrews and/or a plate as a retaining bracket may be a viable choice.

(Mind you this is 5 am spitballing, and I should probably be asleep.)

Status
Not open for further replies.