DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
I imagine that it could be done only adding 1.5-3mm or so on top of the TG thickness for this case doing it similarly to shown. Those 4 pins have to hold on the entire pane vertically on the Lian Li case. That's a decent amount of force. With the physical size of the pane as well as the orientation changed, the design requirements are far reduced.

Even if that is the case (4-5mm), the portions where it would be in contact with the plate could be slightly recessed, resulting in a near-zero increase in thickness over standard TG. (You'd have to run the sims on interference here as I don't have that ability.)
Since this is a reversible design, should this approach be pursued, sliding the glass from the back and using thumbscrews and/or a plate as a retaining bracket may be a viable choice.

(Mind you this is 5 am spitballing, and I should probably be asleep.)

There is no tempered glass, side panels will only be acrylic (hopefully scratch resistant ones).

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@FAQBytes: I do understand how the attachment technic works. My problem is the overall thickness of a tempered glass panel.

The body of the case without panels is 124.5mm thick. With default panels it will be 127.3mm. With a tempered glass solution like you mention the glass panel with metal sheet will be 6.5mm for each side. So the total thickness with glass om both sides will be 137.5mm. It is Impossible to get black temperef glass under 5mm in Taiwan.

Mallot

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2017
@FAQBytes: I do understand how the attachment technic works. My problem is the overall thickness of a tempered glass panel.

The body of the case without panels is 124.5mm thick. With default panels it will be 127.3mm. With a tempered glass solution like you mention the glass panel with metal sheet will be 6.5mm for each side. So the total thickness with glass om both sides will be 137.5mm. It is Impossible to get black temperef glass under 5mm in Taiwan.
You'll only have tempered glass on one side though, so it'll "only" be 5.1mm thicker.

Especially since there are no filters on the intake holes, a acrylic panel will get dusty immediately. Imo, it's tempered glass or nothing, unless it's extremely cheap (less than 10€) for the acrylic, but even then I think it'll look better with just a solid side panel in the long run.

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
You'll only have tempered glass on one side though, so it'll "only" be 5.1mm thicker.

Especially since there are no filters on the intake holes, a acrylic panel will get dusty immediately. Imo, it's tempered glass or nothing, unless it's extremely cheap (less than 10€) for the acrylic, but even then I think it'll look better with just a solid side panel in the long run.

The chassis can be flipped to either side, so if the panels were interchangeable on each side you would only need one.. This may be where Dondan is coming from when stating the need for two panels.

FAQBytes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2017
@dondan Ahh, I was mistaken by what you were saying earlier. I thought you were saying the mounting mechanism itself added 6.5mm to each side on top of the TG thickness. I apologize. Again, it was 5 am and I hadn't slept.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Maybe it will be possible if Lian Li could get 4mm tempered glass from china and i will glue the glass from the inside on the panel like the new panels for the M1.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@galletabah I didn't say i will use Lian Li clips. I only said I will glue the glass from the inside like for the M1.

Kineticman

Caliper Novice
Mar 18, 2018
There is no patend or usage fee on it. If you look at the last picture you can see that the metal sheet + 3M tape + tempered glass sandwitch is very thick. You need 6.5mm for it. Take a look on your ruler and you will see how thick this is. On a 40L case this doesn't matter but on the C4-SFX the case will bee much wider 127.3mm vs 137.5mm.
Doesn't have to be this specific sliding mechanism but a tool less system is highly appreciated My A4 is actually tool less for me because the high quality Lian-Li mounting points are so stiff I got rid of the screws all together. I can't explain how convenient it is.

Kineticman

Caliper Novice
Mar 18, 2018
No please, ncase panel clips no. This system is horrible.
Really? I actually like this system. Ncase M1 (V4). I'm quite curious actually what don't you like about it? I love the fact that it's completely tool less and each panel can be independently removed.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Here are two versions that shows how it will look like with tempered glass.

The first version will be compatible to the side I/O concept and top I/O conecpt. The glass panel will be glued from the inside.

The second version will be only compatible to the top I/O conect. The glass panel will be glues from the outside. Now you can see how much thickness this will add.

It is only a example to show you what options we have with tempered glass.

Last edited:

mrbonkers

Cable Smoosher
Feb 25, 2018
oh please no...

The first version will be compatible to the side I/O concept and top I/O conecpt. The glass panel will be glued from the inside.

The second version will be only compatible to the top I/O conect. The glass panel will be glues from the outside. Now you can see how much thickness this will add.

Reactions: Metroversal

Kineticman

Caliper Novice
Mar 18, 2018
I can only speak for myself since every build is gonna be different. Since I already have the A4 without the acrelyc panels, it's more of a functional build than a aesthetic one. I'm planning to go RGB and whatnot for the C4 so I love the second option with the I/O at the top but maximum visibility of the interior.

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017

It is only a example to show you what options we have with tempered glass.

First version: It looks ok, but I wish the glass window is bigger (not possible due to the radiator shroud).

Second version: I don't like the fact that the side panel sticks out, it looks kinda like a case mod (also, I prefer I/O on the side)

If I had to chose, I definitely prefer the first version, also because it features the new case feet.

Anyhow this one below is hands down your best design so far (imho):

I hope this will be the case I'm going to buy. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Drue

galletabah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2016
Really? I actually like this system. Ncase M1 (V4). I'm quite curious actually what don't you like about it? I love the fact that it's completely tool less and each panel can be independently removed.
I need to buy panel clips every year because they cant hold the panel and make a space (1mm or more) and is very ugly when happen in all the panels.
Ex:

I think, panel clips are not the best solution for this case.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
First version: It looks ok, but I wish the glass window is bigger (not possible due to the radiator shroud).

Second version: I don't like the fact that the side panel sticks out, it looks kinda like a case mod (also, I prefer I/O on the side)

If I had to chose, I definitely prefer the first version, also because it features the new case feet.

Anyhow this one below is hands down your best design so far (imho):

I hope this will be the case I'm going to buy. :D

I totally agree with you, that was my favorite version too. :thumb:

Reactions: Metroversal

Fledder

Caliper Novice
Oct 21, 2017
Sorry for a stupid question, but would it be possible to have vented glass side panels? Or would the holes give prizmatic light scattering?

Status
Not open for further replies.