DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
Today I worked just for fun on a C4-SFX version based on Lian Li's unibody way to make cases (there is no inner frame only one big outer frame). Maybe a backup solution if i am not happy with the real live results of the current version.

Additional information: A unibody version like this can reduce the price from 180€ to 160-170€. Because the case will have less parts.

Thanks for the constant research Dan.
The backup solution looks really clean which is ok, it’s also nice that it looks like an A4, but personally I prefer the original C4 design.
The C4 design is a lot more interesting, the case feet look amazing and the fact that you can flip the case is a great addition (it doesn’t look like it’s going to be possible with the backup case solution).
I understand that sometimes compromises are inevitable but this case is getting less and less unique at every iteration.
This I s just my thought, I do not mean to offend anyone.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
For the backup solution i am not sure with the front usb port. I can't put it on the same position as for the A4-SFX because it will collide with the AIO if you use 2x 120mm. Maybe I will put it above the power button.

Based on my experience with the A4, the front USB3 header cable was a pain to install as it's super thick and stiff, and I never use it as I have a USB hub attached to a rear USB port. I'd omit the front USB entirely and reduce the cost.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Thanks for the constant research Dan.
The backup solution looks really clean which is ok, it’s also nice that it looks like an A4, but personally I prefer the original C4 design.
The C4 design is a lot more interesting, the case feet look amazing and the fact that you can flip the case is a great addition (it doesn’t look like it’s going to be possible with the backup case solution).
I understand that sometimes compromises are inevitable but this case is getting less and less unique at every iteration.
This is just my thought, I do not mean to offend anyone.

Metro, I said something similar earlier, and fully agree with you here. I thought your last comment about the uniqueness slipping away was very interesting, I hadn't thought of that.

Reactions: Metroversal

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
Metro, I said something similar earlier, and fully agree with you here. I thought your last comment about the uniqueness slipping away was very interesting, I hadn't thought of that.
The fact is that I truly appreciate @dondan ideas, seems like he was born to push the envelope in the SFF community.

According to the first post:
"The only limit is your own imagination"
Sadly, it seems like the closer this project gets to the production, the more compromises are limiting the original idea. (I get it, it's not Dan's fault... but still...)

With that said, I will 100% support this project! I'm just concerned that this case will be a lot different than what I was expecting. I mean, I do welcome changes (did I mention the new case feet? lol), but only if they lead to improvements.

Reactions: Arboreal

Drue

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2018
Based on my experience with the A4, the front USB3 header cable was a pain to install as it's super thick and stiff, and I never use it as I have a USB hub attached to a rear USB port. I'd omit the front USB entirely and reduce the cost.
I really wouldn't mind there not being a front usb port. In fact I would most likely prefer it.

Reactions: cmyk78 and Arboreal

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
For designing a case there are four steps:

1.) I show an idea and try to be in the range what is possible on production site
2.) You give me your input and i try to add good idears.
3.) Lian Li tell me what is possible and what needs to be change
4.) I will get a price for every feature and sometimes i have to remove features or change something to be in a reasonable price range.

Keep in mind that my last rendering is only a backup solution.

Fledder

Caliper Novice
Oct 21, 2017
I like the bottom middle version!
The customer changes his idea during the process.. the pain of every development :)

Rebel640

Caliper Novice
Mar 29, 2018
Wow, I love the designs :eek:

Great to see a follow up to the A4 :)

I've already ordered an A4 and a Ghost S1 to try with both.

Please do put at least one USB port on the front or side. Its a life saver! (I'd rather pay $5-10 more for this than buy a USB hub that creates clutter on desk)

Last edited:

Mallot

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2017
Personally don't like the unibody, and I imagine it'll make it clunkier to build in.
Rather pay that small premium for a more aesthetic and easier to build in case.

zanduh

Trash Compacter
Jan 15, 2018
The loss of the tempered glass is a bummer. I’m also not a fan of the unibody, especially with that power button. Hoping you can remain faithful to the renders back around page 19 because that just looks so much more premium. Will have to see how acrylic looks in comparison to the tg

Vaux

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2018
If you do the unibody, put the aio on top please, that would give it a way better airflow

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
Hi @dondan Is it possible to omit the divider between the main chamber and the radiator chamber? This would allow the use of a thicker radiator, such as the corsair H80, on the power supply side. Can't wait :)

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Just install the radiator under the middle plate and the fan over the middleplate :)

If i remove the middleplate i have to add it this plate to the buttom and make the case wider to support 124mm radiators.

Reactions: talkion

Yorkfield

Chassis Packer
Mar 10, 2018
Oh man, I wish the A4 SFX looked like this one - no ugly front USB port - no inner frame - can't get much cleaner.
Would pay an unreasonable amount for this. Any chance to get some more pictures (in silver)?

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Currently I plan the different test configuration for the C4-SFX:

Main Components:
-i7 8700
-Motherboard H310 or B360
-Nvidia GTX 1070 Reference
-32GB DDR4 VLP
-Corsair 450W SFX PSU

Air Cooler for active cooling:
- Noctua L9i (for A4 comparison)
- Zalman CNPS8900 Quiet
- Thermalright AXP 100

Air Cooler for semi passiv cooling:
- Cryorig C1

AIO Water cooler:
- 2x Asetek 120mm AIO 27mm radiator
- Asetek 240mm AIO 27mm
- Alphacool Eisbaer LT + Eiswolf GPX Pro ( GTX 1070 + (extra test with 30mm thick Alphacool radiator )

Case Fans
- 2x be quiet! Silent Wings 3 2200rpm
- 2x Noctua NF-F12 PWM
- 2x Noctua NF-A12x15

What do you think?

Reactions: BernardoZ

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017
Currently I plan the different test configuration for the C4-SFX:

Main Components:
-i7 8700
-Motherboard H310 or B360
-Nvidia GTX 1070 Reference
-32GB DDR4 VLP
-Corsair 450W SFX PSU

Air Cooler for active cooling:
- Noctua L9i (for A4 comparison)
- Zalman CNPS8900 Quiet
- Thermalright AXP 100

Air Cooler for semi passiv cooling:
- Cryorig C1

AIO Water cooler:
- 2x Asetek 120mm AIO 27mm radiator
- Asetek 240mm AIO 27mm
- Alphacool Eisbaer LT + Eiswolf GPX Pro ( GTX 1070 + (extra test with 30mm thick Alphacool radiator )

Case Fans
- 2x be quiet! Silent Wings 3 2200rpm
- 2x Noctua NF-F12 PWM
- 2x Noctua NF-A12x15

What do you think?

I don't think you should overcomplicate things that much. The A4 worked (to an extent) without a single fan. Which proves that this case will work at least better so long as you have case fans.

What matters is how good the C4 will cope with an AIO (which is precisely the point of this case) and a top of the line GPU... both stock and overclocked. The rest is meaningless.

So, save your time, get an 8700K + 1080TI and simply test with an AIO. If you have enough time afterwards then try a full loop with the 8700K and 1080TI.

As last time, people don't put cheap components on expensive cases. It happened with the A4 and it will happen with this one. Save time and test the higher ends.

PS: also, any change you plan to offer different colours?

Reactions: Drue

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Silver and Black

As last time, people don't put cheap components on expensive cases.

This isn't true. By the way i only saw three Titan V builds with the A4 :p. From this point of view a 1080ti is cheap. I have "only" a gtx 1070. Why? For me it is enough.

I don't think it is necessary to test the 1080 ti because the card will not change the situation, but i can understand your point that a maximum test configuration will test also the worst case.

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
@dondan maybe you already talked about it, but I have a question:

The "flipping" feature makes no sense to me, to be honest.
There is probably a better overall config from the 2 (AIO on top or on bottom), so why don't you just test which one offers better temps, and then lock the case in that position?
Dunno if that's clear, but there is no point for the consumer to test which config works better, if there is one config that will be better 90% of the time. What's your opinion about it? XD

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017
Silver and Black

This isn't true. By the way i only saw three Titan V builds with the A4 :p. From this point of view a 1080ti is cheap. I have "only" a gtx 1070. Why? For me it is enough.

I don't think it is necessary to test the 1080 ti because the card will not change the situation, but i can understand your point that a maximum test configuration will test also the worst case.

A 1070 isn't a cheap card either. But I'd assume that most people will go with the 1070, at least.

Also... the 1080 TI does change the situation compared to a 1070. 125W of extra heat are A LOT. The card uses almost double the amount of power the 1070 uses.

It is significant.

A 1070 doesn't use any significant amount of power. So it is not useful if you want to know how good the case is.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@BernardoZ
I don't think there will be a big different between both orientations - maybe 2-3°C. But i will test it and let the customers know.

If i will go with side i/o locking the case in one position will be not a good idea because if you will put your case on your desk in that position that the i/o will face to an wall you can't use it.

Reactions: BernardoZ
Status
Not open for further replies.