DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Hey guys, new to the forum and only joined because of this amazing case.
I may be missing something, but I've read nearly every page and I can't see answers to the following questions;
  • Where is the link to the kickstarter? People refer to it throughout the thread, and I've searched for it but can't find it (here and on kickstarter direct)
  • Will this ship to Australia? I can't even see any local options for the existing A4 case, however there are a few on eBay for a crazy amount.
  • How much is it expected to cost?

I am extremely interested in moving to SFF, but I don't want to do a half-arsed attempt especially with the limited cooling options available in most on the market. This case meets all my tick boxes, and I'm bursting with excitement for its release!

This is still a concept case. No Kickstarter yet. The a4 v3 case is now being sold thru sfflab.com. Target price for the C4 is 160-180 Euros (see first post).
@dondan will have to answer how he will sell this case and where he intends availability.

Drue

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2018
Hey guys, new to the forum and only joined because of this amazing case.
I may be missing something, but I've read nearly every page and I can't see answers to the following questions;
  • Where is the link to the kickstarter? People refer to it throughout the thread, and I've searched for it but can't find it (here and on kickstarter direct)
  • Will this ship to Australia? I can't even see any local options for the existing A4 case, however there are a few on eBay for a crazy amount.
  • How much is it expected to cost?

I am extremely interested in moving to SFF, but I don't want to do a half-arsed attempt especially with the limited cooling options available in most on the market. This case meets all my tick boxes, and I'm bursting with excitement for its release!
The kickstarter will start at the end of May/Start of June.

I'm not sure you would have to have someone else answer that for you

Around $200 USD

Drue

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2018
@dondan Would it be possible for you to give us some psu cable length suggestions, cause It seems like using the cables that come with something like the SF600 is going to be quite difficult. I know it depends on what motherboard people will be using, but I am guessing a lot of people are going to opt for the ROG Strix Z370-I. Thanks in advanced!

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@Drue I think it is too early to talk about custom calbe length. At first I need to test the prototypes. :)
@Kineticman: I will talk about this topic with lian li, but I think it will be much more expansive than brushed anodized aluminum.
@FoskcoRS5 The final prototype comes closer and closer. The last weeks I wrote many many mails with Lian Li to finalize everything. Here and there tiny changes to match production requirements.
@jtd871 I hope I can sell it end of may on Kickstarter. Shipping will be world wide and the price tag is 160-180€, but i looks like it will be 189€.

Kineticman

Caliper Novice
Mar 18, 2018
L
@dondan Would it be possible for you to give us some psu cable length suggestions, cause It seems like using the cables that come with something like the SF600 is going to be quite difficult. I know it depends on what motherboard people will be using, but I am guessing a lot of people are going to opt for the ROG Strix Z370-I. Thanks in advanced!
Lol spot on That's the motherboard I'd pick up for a build.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
The excitement is building, we have a possible price and timescale AND prototypes on the way.
Great work @dondan - it's all coming together having seemed quite distant at the beginning of the year.
I hope my wallet can save up quickly enough, I'm half way there now :)

Reactions: Kineticman

Drue

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2018
L

Lol spot on That's the motherboard I'd pick up for a build.

Of course! I can't see anyone putting budget parts into this case. Of course you could, but money should be spent else where if you're putting $235 into the case.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@mrbonkers On the tempered glass topic I have bad news. It will be only acrylic, but I try to get scratch resistant ones. The panel thicknes of the top and bottom panel of the C4 is 1.4mm, so I tried to get 2mm tempered glass. In Taiwan the minimum thickness is 5mm and in China 4mm. A 4mm glass panel will not lock good because it will stand out. Furthermore the keep out zones for mounting holes on tempered glass is 5x material thickness, if you don't comply it, the panel will break while drilling the hole. For my current design the distance is 10mm so it will not work.

The price for the C4-SFX window kit will be very low, because I don't need to add vent holes. So it could be ~20-25€. Furthermore I am thinking of adding the 2.5 Slot riser to the window kit and the 2 Slot riser to the default case. This will reduce the price of the case to 180€ and add 9€ to the window kit. I will made a survey for this topic.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Today I worked just for fun on a C4-SFX version based on Lian Li's unibody way to make cases (there is no inner frame only one big outer frame). Maybe a backup solution if i am not happy with the real live results of the current version.

Additional information: A unibody version like this can reduce the price from 180€ to 160-170€. Because the case will have less parts.

Last edited:

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Today I worked just for fun on a C4-SFX version based on Lian Li's unibody way to make cases (there is no inner frame only one big outer frame). Maybe a backup solution if i am not happy with the real live results of the current version.

Additional information: A unibody version like this can reduce the price from 180€ to 160-170€. Because the case will have less parts.

Dan, thanks for the updates on windows and your further ideas. This looks good, and (as you said), useful if your prototypes don't work out.
I still prefer the proposed C4-SFX design that you're prototyping, and look forward to see how it looks in the next few weeks.

Drue

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2018

This looks great. I'm not sure about the power button, but overall I may even like this more than the original which I'm surprised by. The reduction in price is also nice especially with the added cost of the window panel.

gffermari

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 7, 2017
This looks like its little brother, A4-SFX, and looks great.
The front usb port is missing.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
For the backup solution i am not sure with the front usb port. I can't put it on the same position as for the A4-SFX because it will collide with the AIO if you use 2x 120mm. Maybe I will put it above the power button.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015

I'll tell you, there are a couple of things I don't like about this approach: the outer bend radius along the edges is a little greater than it looks in your renders, and the seam where the bend meets the exterior panel is not a good look; and the forming process around the 10mm bends results in a little bit of bulging of the metal towards the corners. See this pic for example:

Status
Not open for further replies.