DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

artroeb

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 17, 2018
@artroeb : Do you mean something like this?

@wywywywy : How do you mean that?

He Dan Very love the design. What software is used to draw the case?

RollinLower

Cable Smoosher
Mar 7, 2018
Grab some rubber feet and sure. Won't hurt anything. Might just look a little awkward.
i mean, the case is reversable so you should be able to just take off the standard casefeet. might actually look half decent as a HTPC then!

FAQBytes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2017
i mean, the case is reversable so you should be able to just take off the standard casefeet. might actually look half decent as a HTPC then!
My reasoning on it 'looking awkward' being on the side was personal preference on aspect ratios, which is why I said 'might be'. Comes down to personal preference.

Vaux

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2018
That's a really nice case, but it's missing some air filter, could you make the mesh panel with an air filter integrated? (like the one in the node 304, the filtered mesh pop out for cleaning). Also on your sketch it seems that the mesh is not perfectly aligned with the gpu

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
Personally: no front io > side io > top io

But if you flip the front panel with top io... You have no io! (Well hidden and unusable io...)

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Hey Dan,

Keep the card behind the Motherboard . even if it costs more for the cable ... we ned the clean look of both sides , one with the Motherboard and LED RAM , LED water cooler , and the other side for the GPU... and the water cooler below or above.

You are making a huge mistake putting the GPU above the Motherboard.

More over MSI already made your design ... it is not original one.

MSI nightblade MIB

https://www.msi.com/Desktop/Nightblade-MIB

same design , GPU above mobo . dont go this way ..

we need over mobo CLEAN and Visible. and easy to add components and access memory and M2 SSD any time. putting the GPU above the Mobo is not a cool idea at all.

your original Idea of putting the card behind the Mobo was the best . dont change that at all !

here is the case IMO , both sides Tempered Glass cover .

Side one shows GPU

side two Shows Motherboard and RAM and M2 SSD..

all visible , Mobo easy to access any time.

and the water cooler , below or Above the case ...

Not a helpful post really....constructive criticism is welcome, but this is plain critical.

Dan's been working on this design (publicly) for 6 months and you decide to chime in 24 pages into a fairly well developed build.

He has his reasons for not repeating a 'back to back' sandwich, and has done a lot of work to get the C4 to the near prototype stage, and this is so much better thought out than the Nightblade.

There are a good number of other 'back to back' sandwich designs to choose from these days if you don't like this one.

Dan, keep up the good work 'unser Freund'

While you're getting the prototypes ready, we're keeping the faith

samer7b2

Case Bender
Mar 11, 2018
Not a helpful post really....constructive criticism is welcome, but this is plain critical.

Dan's been working on this design (publicly) for 6 months and you decide to chime in 24 pages into a fairly well developed build.

He has his reasons for not repeating a 'back to back' sandwich, and has done a lot of work to get the C4 to the near prototype stage, and this is so much better thought out than the Nightblade.

There are a good number of other 'back to back' sandwich designs to choose from these days if you don't like this one.

Dan, keep up the good work 'unser Freund'

While you're getting the prototypes ready, we're keeping the faith

I will wait for him to reply.

and your reply is not friendly at all. and if yo dont like my ideas , dont call them "plain critical" . Actually they are more than helpful.

and you dont tell me to look elsewhere . I can look where ever I want to look at. Only Dan can tell me that. you dont own this project to reply in his place.

and last thing , I was talking with Dan , and I want his reply . not your Judgement. who are you to judge me? mind your own business.

lastly @Dan ...

Try to make the Motherboard accessible for upgrades . upgrading RAM , SSD , M2 , should be easy in such hard to put together machine.

and putting the Card behind the motherboard will make every thing easier to reach , upgrade and maintain. plus it will look better as well.

your original IDEA DAN was the card behind the motherboard. Stay with it. it is your trade mark and it is wonderful. the main advantage of it is not only smaller size , the main advantgage of it is the clean space OVER the motherboard.

if you want to add anything it is easy.. and reachable within seconds.

and more over ... look at that card .. if we WATER COOL the card .. it will not be upgradable at all ! you are stuck

imagine I use custom water cooling for the card ?

This case is not only for AIO coolers. This is for FIXED Custom loop as well , and once you water cool the card you can never remove it without removing the whole thing. and if the card is ABOVE the motherboard ? then forget about reaching the motherboard !!! Forget about replacing an M2 SSD or putting more RAM or even add more SATA drives or change them or reach the cables with ease .

I hope I am not late here ..

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
This case is not only for AIO coolers. This is for FIXED Custom loop as well , and once you water cool the card you can never remove it without removing the whole thing. and if the card is ABOVE the motherboard ? then forget about reaching the motherboard !!! Forget about replacing an M2 SSD or putting more RAM or even add more SATA drives or change them or reach the cables with ease .

Long story short: quick connect fittings

Reactions: Elerek

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Try to make the Motherboard accessible for upgrades . upgrading RAM , SSD , M2 , should be easy in such hard to put together machine.
and putting the Card behind the motherboard will make every thing easier to reach , upgrade and maintain. plus it will look better as well.
your original IDEA DAN was the card behind the motherboard. Stay with it. it is your trade mark and it is wonderful. the main advantage of it is not only smaller size , the main advantgage of it is the clean space OVER the motherboard.
and more over ... look at that card .. if we WATER COOL the card .. it will not be upgradable at all ! you are stuck

If you are performing such frequent upgrades, and access is of such importance to you, might I suggest using an open testbench instead?

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I will wait for him to reply.

and your reply is not friendly at all. and if yo dont like my ideas , dont call them "plain critical" . Actually they are more than helpful.

and you dont tell me to look elsewhere . I can look where ever I want to look at. Only Dan can tell me that. you dont own this project to reply in his place.

and last thing , I was talking with Dan , and I want his reply . not your Judgement. who are you to judge me? mind your own business.

lastly @Dan ...

@samer7b2

Just a quick tip - don't be arrogant. Whilst your criticisms of the design may be valid in your eyes, remember that people here aren't building or designing cases for you in particular, they're designing for the larger market. Don't walk into someone else's thread and tell them that they should be doing the design the way you see fit.

If you want a chassis designed for you - contact one of the resident designers and ask them (nicely) for a one-off.

Also, consider this a formal warning to not be a dick to other users. Your attitude towards a civil response was one of aggression. That's not acceptable here.

Mallot

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2017
Haven't a couple of small resoviors been mentioned already? Pretty small ones, but it's at least something.
I think a 240*30mm radiator is too small to properly cool high end CPU and GPU anyway.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015

The main idea for this project is not using a flexible riser (A4 Layout) to lower the price of the case and reduce production time. Furthermore I like to show that this layout will work as good as the A4-SFX layout and better. Depending on your accessibility concern, both layout has its advantage.

GPU behind Motherboard (A4-SFX):
+ easy access to RAM
+ easy access to front M.2 SSD
- access to back M.2 SSD requires removing motherboard
- heatsink/CPU change requires removing motherboard (more work than removing a GPU)

GPU in front Motherboard (C4-SFX):
+ easy access to back M.2 SSD
| medium easy heatsink/CPU change (only remove GPU)
| medium easy ram access (only remove GPU)
| medium easy front M.2 SSD access (only remove GPU)

To be fair how often do you make changes to your components after finishing your build?

your original IDEA DAN was the card behind the motherboard. Stay with it. it is your trade mark and it is wonderful.

My trade mark is to be innovative.

This case is not only for AIO coolers. This is for FIXED Custom loop as well , and once you water cool the card you can never remove it without removing the whole thing.

Just unscrew the card and lay it in front of the case. If you keep the tubes long enough it will be possible.

Currently Lian Li is crafting the prototype. For the current one you are too late. But if you have an idea that change my mind I will add that feature.

Thank you for your input
Daniel

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Currently Lian Li is crafting the prototype. For the current one you are too late. But if you have an idea that change my mind I will add that feature.

Thank you for your input
Daniel

This is good news! Thank you for keeping us up to date, I am still replenishing my wallet ready for when it is on the market

deathadder666

Trash Compacter
Feb 4, 2018
This is good news! Thank you for keeping us up to date, I am still replenishing my wallet ready for when it is on the market

I second that. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Shift X for a build since I've been sitting on a new build for weeks now waiting for someone to jump from prototyping to production. I just hope it doesn't break my budget. This case is on daily watch for production green light! Go Dan go!!!

Crysilus

Caliper Novice
Nov 7, 2017
I second that. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Shift X for a build since I've been sitting on a new build for weeks now waiting for someone to jump from prototyping to production. I just hope it doesn't break my budget. This case is on daily watch for production green light! Go Dan go!!!
I know the Kickstarter is planned for may/June (can't remember which) and I believe once that's a go it's about 6 months till cases are made and shipped. At least that's what I believe the time line was for Dan's first case. Could be faster this time around.

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
Haven't a couple of small resoviors been mentioned already? Pretty small ones, but it's at least something.
I think a 240*30mm radiator is too small to properly cool high end CPU and GPU anyway.
240*30mm is more than enough to properly cool a 8700k + 1080 :p

deathadder666

Trash Compacter
Feb 4, 2018
I know the Kickstarter is planned for may/June (can't remember which) and I believe once that's a go it's about 6 months till cases are made and shipped. At least that's what I believe the time line was for Dan's first case. Could be faster this time around.

Why you wanna hurt me so bad? I'm on the look out for a cheap case now (like less than $40) that I can live with till this one is at my doorstep.

Reactions: Crysilus
Status
Not open for further replies.