DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKsystem

Average Stuffer
Sep 13, 2016
That 3 slot thing, is just a by-product of flexible design, just by utilizing the aio space in sandwich layout.

What more important is that flexible layout worth it or not. With the flexible layout 3 slot pcie support follows automatically.

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017

Wait, let me understand:
  • 3-slots
  • Loud single fan
  • Slightly worse performance compared to some 2-slot variants
(Source)

Quite a laughable design tbh, to each their own.

Reactions: Bonusround

bleed

Chassis Packer
Feb 23, 2019
www.artbleed.com
Hello~! New to the forums, and new to SFX builds.
Just wanted to say keep up the great work on the DanC4!

Eagerly awaiting it for my first ever build. Mainly going to be using it for my digital work. :)
Hopefully you will be shipping to Australia.
Thanks!

BillT

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2019
As we wait for the renders, I have an idea about naming. What do you guys think of just calling it Dan C4, dropping the -SFX?

When they hear C4, a lot of people will think of the C4 in Counter Strike which is small and powerful, just like Dan C4. Dan C4 is also significantly fewer syllables than the competitors like Louqe Ghost S1 and Ncase M1, making it short and memorable.

I understand that A4-SFX exists, but C4 has a wider audience due to its wide support for hardware. C4-SFX is a few too many letters, in my opinion. An ITX case supporting SFX psu only is not surprising, and therefore not necessary to include in the name.

erjt_200

Case Bender
Feb 16, 2019
As we wait for the renders, I have an idea about naming. What do you guys think of just calling it Dan C4, dropping the -SFX?

When they hear C4, a lot of people will think of the C4 in Counter Strike which is small and powerful, just like Dan C4. Dan C4 is also significantly fewer syllables than the competitors like Louqe Ghost S1 and Ncase M1, making it short and memorable.

I understand that A4-SFX exists, but C4 has a wider audience due to its wide support for hardware. C4-SFX is a few too many letters, in my opinion. An ITX case supporting SFX psu only is not surprising, and therefore not necessary to include in the name.
as much as I like that description though, imagine situations where instead of thinking of the dan C4, they'll think about another C4... HAHA although kidding aside, its really nice and hoping to see some progress

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I think it will be the same as for the A4-SFX. Mostly it is called A4 and I think it will be the same for C4-SFX. Or I called it "The Unknown - You get what you not expect" because I made so many changes on it XD

BillT

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2019
I think it will be the same as for the A4-SFX. Mostly it is called A4 and I think it will be the same for C4-SFX. Or I called it "The Unknown - You get what you not expect" because I made so many changes on it XD
Any updates on how the CADs are looking?
When should we expect a poll?

THE_KRAAKEN

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 25, 2019
I am one of those silent reader that been following this post for many months. Just my 2 cents, flexibility and future proof is two very important factor in pc cases which intended to be kept for a few years.

The market currently is already saturated with 2-2.5 slot sff cases , if this C4 is to stand out from its competitions, it needs a unique selling point which its competitor does not support.

Furthermore this case might be many people's first sff case, migrating from their larger form factor. Being able to reuse existing hardware such as 2.5-3 slots gpu would be very attractive to this new crowd.

Last point, latest sfx psu have reached 800+watt output, which indicate there is a growing market demand for high power output hardware in small form factor, further illustrate the need for 3 slots gpu support as that is the future direction of hardware. Thanks dan. :) I look forward to your cad

schn1tt3r

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 24, 2018
https://www.hardwareluxx.de/communi...ser-luft-gekuehltes-sff-gehaeuse-1176476.html

Are the sizes from this page still the same or do I have to watch for the new one?

That is the original design. Sadly, it's not like that anymore.

I am one of those silent reader that been following this post for many months. Just my 2 cents, flexibility and future proof is two very important factor in pc cases which intended to be kept for a few years.

The market currently is already saturated with 2-2.5 slot sff cases , if this C4 is to stand out from its competitions, it needs a unique selling point which its competitor does not support.

the case already stood out by being 10L and having the best design out there. Support for 3 slot won't make it stand out, it will just make it thicker. If you are planing an SFF build, why would you consider 3 slot cards when you can get 2.5 that work just as well (considering 3 slot cards are mostly for overclocking and if you are into that, then you are better off getting a bigger case)?

Last edited:

david.giessing

Trash Compacter
Jul 3, 2018
Furthermore this case might be many people's first sff case, migrating from their larger form factor. Being able to reuse existing hardware such as 2.5-3 slots gpu would be very attractive to this new crowd.

I doubt that entrants into the SFF market will immediately jump on a 200+ USD case...

THE_KRAAKEN

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 25, 2019
That is the original design. Sadly, it's not like that anymore.

the case already stood out by being 10L and having the best design out there. Support for 3 slot won't make it stand out, it will just make it thicker. If you are planing an SFF build, why would you consider 3 slot cards when you can get 2.5 that work just as well (considering 3 slot cards are mostly for overclocking and if you are into that, then you are better off getting a bigger case)?

From my understanding, the original design wouldn’t fit a 2.5 card with a thick CPU block for the AIO like the kraken x52, correct me if I’m wrong.

So with the original design, it is already self-excluding a potion of 2.5slot user, with the additional of 2.75-3 slot users. Speaking from a product development and marketing standpoint, a mere 6% increase in width can accommodate 20-30% of extra potential customer otherwise would be excluded, is be a smart design trade off imo.

And I do believe as I previously stated, high power usage sff component is the future, which will require larger and thicker radiator. A 3 slot case would be much more future proof. It would be a shame with a 2.5 slot case, the next generation of card we could potentially be limit to a mid tier card only instead of the flagship model.

prefinem

Trash Compacter
Apr 12, 2018
One of the silent readers that has been following from the start, just wanted to say a few things.

The original design is gorgeous. Something that I think drove a lot of people here originally. Given that it was mostly an improvement from the original A4 case (it looks better IMO) that allowed an AIO but still held to the smallest form factor possible, any additional size increases feels like compromise for selling to a different set of people.

After about page 50, I realized this wasn't going to be built soon, and purchased a Sunmilo T03 A4 (https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=572918958857&spm=1101.1101.N.N.23fcdfc) but I can honestly say, if the original case in the mockups was put on kickstarter, I would back it, because the design is gorgeous.

I know for me, that when I want a SFF case, I really want a small case. If the 8700K didn't need an AIO, then I would have purchased an A4 most likely.

Reactions: Metroversal

threestripevida

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 28, 2017
I’ve been reading this thread on and off, but have missed a lot and I’m flipping through pages to find the changed people are talking about. What are the changes this case are going through right now? It’s still under 10L, correct?

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
I’ve been reading this thread on and off, but have missed a lot and I’m flipping through pages to find the changed people are talking about. What are the changes this case are going through right now? It’s still under 10L, correct?
Litrally went back a single page:
I only give you an detailed answer on your last question because the first and second question I will answer with an yes.

Here is the minimum size of each layout (pure hardware only) without adding keep out zones, cable routing ways, hdd drive space, case metal thickness, s.o:

sandwich: 2.0 Slot, 240 AIO: 120*230*303 (W*H*L)= 8.4L
sandwich: 2.5 Slot, 240 AIO: 125*230*303 (W*H*L)= 8.75L
sandwich: 2.75 Slot, 240 AIO: 130*230*303 (W*H*L)= 9,1L
sandwich: 3.0 Slot, 240 AIO: 135*230*303 (W*H*L)= 9.45L

classic hw layout: 2.0 Slot, 240 AIO, PCIe Power Bridge: 135*200*303 (W*H*L)= 8.2L
classic hw layout: 2.5 Slot, 240 AIO, PCIe Power Bridge: 135*210*303 (W*H*L)= 8.6L
classic hw layout: 2.75 Slot, 240 AIO, PCIe Power Bridge: 135*215*303 (W*H*L)= 8,8L
classic hw layout: 3.0 Slot, 240 AIO, PCIe Power Bridge: 135*220*303 (W*H*L)= 9L

Status
Not open for further replies.