DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
This is not necessary, because the front fans bush air through the gap between GPU and side panel.

Gotsche

Cable Smoosher
Sep 12, 2018
Hello,

JayzTwoCents has a little project of a full water cooled build:

He's taken the Ghost S1 with 1x large Tophat above and 1x large Tophat below for 2x 240 radiators. Interessting idea...

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
C4-SFX indirect cooling Design 11.4L vs Ghost with two large top heads = 13,6L
to be fair, we have to account for just 2 fans and loss in performance for indirect flow!
So a more appropriate comparison between your idea and Louqe with top hats would be:
-case + large (30mm radiator) + medium (25mm radiator) top hats = 12.216l

But, you're still winning in design, price and total volume... And to be honest THOSE are my reasons for being more interested in your case... Not interested in GPU cooling because I find a two rad configurations useful for SLI/Crossfire in my opinion.... but a case developed around this idea and PCIe bifurcation would be awesome... I'm not a buyer for that, but would be awesome!

Performance BTW, are still to be judged!

Last edited:

Gotsche

Cable Smoosher
Sep 12, 2018
@Gotsche:
C4-SFX classical Design 10.4L vs Ghost with large top head = 11L
C4-SFX indirect cooling Design 11.4L vs Ghost with two large top heads = 13,6L

Yes, if you have a target to be the smallest one. Thats right.

I'm owning and using a A4 v2 from you. And it is very small and is looking great. The main problem for me is now: how to handle the heat.... the more powerfull massive multicore cpu's are going so be better and better in gaming too and there are gaming projects of using more and more cores. Then there will VR an additional heatproblem. Actually the 95W i7-8700K and a 1080ti, may be a 2080ti is at the upper limitations of the case. But in spring 2019 the Ryzen 3 will make a big step forward, I expect.

So I'm changing my mind in going to more better cooling solutions for a little more space. It's a compromise... to get the more powerfull pc as possible for about 1-2 litres more. The C4 case would be great - but the big question is: WHEN? I would it buy now or yesterday!

Do you have a plan, when the c4 project will goes into real/Kickstarter?

Last edited:

ToutNoir

Caliper Novice
Mar 2, 2018
Here is a preview on how the the case can look like with the indirect cooling layout. It is a early version because I need a feeling on how the dimension and proportion will look like:

still looks good IMO.

Do you plan on having the I/O at the back ? Maybe the inlet ports on each side could be less wide so fans won't be visible ?
I'm waiting for you poll now ;)

shd

Case Bender
Nov 16, 2018
I would pay twice the suggested price for the original C4 design (and I'm a poor student). I'm using the A4 v1, but with the 8700k I need some better temps for OC. The original, sub 10L C4 would be a dream come true. Wasn't the entire purpose of this case to be the smallest AIO compatible case out there?

Reactions: chairmanmeow

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
There are some things I do not like on the first prototypes.
@dondan it seems like most of the things you don't like are mostly I/O related.

dondan said:
1) I don't like the side I/O on the renderings it looks ok but on the final sample it looks much better with that huge window kit without that cutout for the I/O:
I've seen the prototypes pictures and I think it still looks great even with the cutout for the I/O. Opinions on looks are quite subjective.

dondan said:
2) The side I/O prevents support for haveing two 2.5" drives behind the front. So with side I/O you are limited to one 2.5" drive because it will not work if there is a HDD bay above the radiator fans.
If side I/O is causing all the troubles, just get rid of it. There's no need to create a whole different case because of Side I/O. You've tried, it didn't work, it's fine. Move the I/O on the top.

dondan said:
3) For the none window version I like the look of the metal side panels with the cutout for the I/O but I don't like the look of the I/O itself. This looks good but not with I/O:
Like the first point, looks are subjective. I do like it.

dondan said:
4) I don't like the fact that the PSU cables are above the radiator fans. You need to do your cable management very propper. Maybe the solution is to flip the PSU (180°) but then it will be hard to reach the 8pin PSU power. On the new design the cables are above the radiator but there are no fans at that area so it isn't a problem.
You can easily fix this with 2x 120mm fan covers and some cable tie points or straps.

dondan said:
5) I am not sure if the C4-SFX with the old laylout will be too close to the Ghost with tophead or the Nouvolo. So it isn't realy uniq.
C4 is different from the Ghost S1 or the Nuvolo:
- Different interior layout
- Better design (imho)
- Does not need extra parts in order to support 240mm radiators
- Can fit 2x 120mm radiators
- Actually has front I/O (hopefully w/ type-C connector)
- Offers tempered glass panels right from the start

Talyrius

Average Stuffer
Jun 27, 2018
I prefer top I/O! However, I remember that there were a lot of people arguing in favor of keeping the side I/O. There's always a lot of resistance to making even small changes like this, so I can understand how @dondan might feel discouraged and want to explore bigger changes.

Here are some pictures so you can see how pluged in top i/o and side i/o will look like:

Last edited:
Reactions: Saturnian

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
I honestly don't care where the I/O goes, as long as i retain the option of flipping which side the glass panel is on. I've liked the asthetics of both the side and top i/o designs.

I currently use Josh's NFC S4M-C, with no I/O, just the power button. I/O is purely optional IMO.

Reactions: Maniac and omod

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
Cooling capability is directly related to radiator surface area. Why not simply allow for thicker (>30mm) radiator(s) on one side instead of a second 240mm unit on the opposite side of the case? Anyone wanting to cool both CPU and GPU on separate loops could, for instance, opt for two 45mm thick 120 rads.

Such an arrangement would still benefit from the efficiency of directly-mounted fans, and radiator volume would grow by only 50% vs. a full doubling in the twin-240 configuration.

Reactions: SashaLag

Alexander

Average Stuffer
Jun 24, 2018
I quite like the new design. Not having a front I/O makes the case super clean. But, you know how it is, opinions!

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
So.. you are selling a Lian Li clone, then?
C'mon, don't tell me you like the design you posted.
Really?

I quite like the new design. Not having a front I/O makes the case super clean. But, you know how it is, opinions!

dondan said:
It is a early version because I need a feeling on how the dimension and proportion will look like

The new design is not final. That's why there is no I/O, no screws holding the glass side panel, etc.

With that said, I'm not a huge fan of how the top I/O currently looks on the old design. Well, it's not bad, but I wish it was better integrated with the case. Is it possible to have a top panel with port holes instead of the cutout? Just wondering how that could look like.

schn1tt3r

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 24, 2018
This is not necessary, because the front fans bush air through the gap between GPU and side panel.

13:58 results

two fans in the front, especially blocked by that front is not going to be enough to cool a video card with blocked sides. The tiny gaps on the side of the case sucking air at 90 degree angle is most definitely not enough to cool a GPU. By doing this dual passive radiator, you are essentially going to alienate everyone who doesn't want to water cool their GPU. Maybe, in the effort to go for something unique, you lost vision with your original amazing idea which is a shame. I hope the poll results will sway you back to the original design.

Last edited:

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
So.. you are selling a Lian Li clone, then?

C'mon, don't tell me you like the design you posted.

Compared to this?

Really?
Totally read you’re reply and then the last line right before the chorus in TOXICITY from System of a Down started playing in my head.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.