DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

david.giessing

Trash Compacter
Jul 3, 2018
I have a new question for you:

Whould it be a problem if the motherboard standoff will be a part of the side panel? This means you can't remove the panel without removing the motherboard. The advantage would be, that I don't need the middleplate. Then I will redesign the inner body that will have a bottom where you can screw the radiator. This will make mounting radiators much easier.

Disadvantages:
- you have to unscrew the motherboard to get access to its backside

Advantages:
- increasing stiffness of the case
- easier installation process for radiators
This would also free up more space on the inside of the case right? so it would be possible to move the pci brackets a little more inside allowing for taller gpus or giving them more clearance towards the side panel right?

Etz

Chassis Packer
May 7, 2018
I think it is not an good idea, not to have middle frame and fuse standoffs to the side panel, most ITX boards have m.2 slot at the back of the board.

It would make access to that slot very complicated.
Most of the other cases have cutouts on the back of the motherboard tray to resolve this.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
M.2 slots are not always in the same place on the underside of mobos. Also, depending on the cooler and CPU, the socket and/or cooler backplate can take up a lot of room on ITX boards, even interfering with the M.2 socket.

I think that having the standoffs factory installed on the motherboard tray is not such a big deal, as you are going to want to stick with a configuration that fits and then not mess with it. If you like to fiddle and change around your M.2 and/or cooler alot, then you should probably get an Open Bench Table rather than or in addition to this case.

ToutNoir

Caliper Novice
Mar 2, 2018
I have a new question for you:

Whould it be a problem if the motherboard standoff will be a part of the side panel? This means you can't remove the panel without removing the motherboard. The advantage would be, that I don't need the middleplate. Then I will redesign the inner body that will have a bottom where you can screw the radiator. This will make mounting radiators much easier.

Disadvantages:
- you have to unscrew the motherboard to get access to its backside

Advantages:
- increasing stiffness of the case
- easier installation process for radiators

Hi @dondan , first message here but I've been reading this topic with big interest. I'm fine with this solution, and glad to see the original design back.
And congratulations :)

Reactions: bledha

Talyrius

Average Stuffer
Jun 27, 2018
M.2 slots are not always in the same place on the underside of mobos.
This isn't the problem you think it is. The Mini-ITX motherboard specification uses four mounting holes located at the outer edges. Therefore, a cutout can expose nearly the entirety of the motherboard's backside surface area.

AlsaceFiris

Chassis Packer
Jul 4, 2018
Would not it be better to keep the base of the case (page 1) but having the possibility to put two 120mm down and two up? It would make a good air circulation in case of custom graphics card finally I do not know, I just propose an idea

papsicleboy

Caliper Novice
Jun 19, 2018
Would not it be better to keep the base of the case (page 1) but having the possibility to put two 120mm down and two up? It would make a good air circulation in case of custom graphics card finally I do not know, I just propose an idea

I don't believe it would make too much of a difference. Just like how push/pull on a radiator is a marginal difference compared to the space it takes up. The front and back of the case are pretty airtight, the air would come in from the top and side ventilation and go out the bottom creating a flow of air.

As for other issues like motherboard standoffs on the side-panel I think it is an acceptable compromise for structural integrity. Also as for io top or side look good, I don't use it often anyways. Try to get a USB c in there!

wykydtronik

Trash Compacter
Jun 26, 2018
Does that mean it must be air cooled. Is an AIO ok on a plane?

I'm not entirely sure what the rules would be with an AIO in a carry-on or in luggage. I would personally uninstall the AIO before flight, bring a low profile air cooled heatsink as a backup. If they refuse the AIO, you can ship it back home or to the hotel destination.

Ideally; you could build a custom loop. When you travel, drain it before heading to the airport. Then ship the liquid to hotel destination (You would need a lot of 8 ounce bottles if you decided to bring these in luggage?)

I am not an expert in custom loops, but my car mechanic side of me would say "Plan C would be distilled water and WaterWetter" (this obviously wouldn't be ideal, worse case scenario you can get these anywhere a grocery and auto parts store exist. Obviously don't take this advice, stick with actual water cooling fluids designed for custom loops).

AlsaceFiris

Chassis Packer
Jul 4, 2018
I don't believe it would make too much of a difference. Just like how push/pull on a radiator is a marginal difference compared to the space it takes up. The front and back of the case are pretty airtight, the air would come in from the top and side ventilation and go out the bottom creating a flow of air.

As for other issues like motherboard standoffs on the side-panel I think it is an acceptable compromise for structural integrity. Also as for io top or side look good, I don't use it often anyways. Try to get a USB c in there!

I thought it was a good idea because we follow the logic of the air as the hot air will always look to go up

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
This isn't the problem you think it is. The Mini-ITX motherboard specification uses four mounting holes located at the outer edges. Therefore, a cutout can expose nearly the entirety of the motherboard's backside surface area.

Yes, but the plate stiffness can be much reduced, and the manufacturing is more complex (expensive), when you start putting large holes in a solid plate.

ScarletStar

Caliper Novice
Jan 17, 2018
Unless you have a fan, and then the force of the fan way overpowers natural convection.

That's not the problem. The actual problem would be hot air exhausted on the bottom which will rise on the outside and get pulled back in on top. Unlike the case inside the outside does not have forced air convection to prevent recirculating hot air. That is usually why we want to exhaust hot air through the top.

using radiator on a bottom intake and add more on the top exhaust basically means you're using a double thickness radiator.
Radiator thickness does not scale well. Imagine we divide a radiator up into several thinner radiators right behind each other. While the first radiator can use it's full potential with cool air intake. Successively the other radiators have to deal with intake air closer and closer to water temperature, which means they can't dump much heat onto the air. Not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.