DAN C4-SFX - old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mallot

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2017
First version: It looks ok, but I wish the glass window is bigger (not possible due to the radiator shroud).

Second version: I don't like the fact that the side panel sticks out, it looks kinda like a case mod (also, I prefer I/O on the side)

If I had to chose, I definitely prefer the first version, also because it features the new case feet.

Anyhow this one below is hands down your best design so far (imho):

I hope this will be the case I'm going to buy. :D
I think I'd only want a window if it's like this.

Solid side panels with a window always look cheap and tacky... So the options given by Dan is not in my taste, so I'd probably buy without any see-through panel.

HOWEVER... This quoted image doesn't work, because in it there are holes in the side panel, meaning the tempered glass would have to be even thicker.
One option around it is to only have two bars, one on top, and one below, OR one at the back and one at the front, for the screws. Then the tempered glass panel would be glued onto those, or have some sort of fastening mechanism.
The other option is to go with acrylic or polycarbonate, BUT it has to have some sort of treatment to remove all it's static electricity (so no dust particle build up), and be scratch resistant (and not be shipped with already existing mini-scratches).

Drue

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2018
I think I'd only want a window if it's like this.

Solid side panels with a window always look cheap and tacky... So the options given by Dan is not in my taste, so I'd probably buy without any see-through panel.

HOWEVER... This quoted image doesn't work, because in it there are holes in the side panel, meaning the tempered glass would have to be even thicker.
One option around it is to only have two bars, one on top, and one below, OR one at the back and one at the front, for the screws. Then the tempered glass panel would be glued onto those, or have some sort of fastening mechanism.
The other option is to go with acrylic or polycarbonate, BUT it has to have some sort of treatment to remove all it's static electricity (so no dust particle build up), and be scratch resistant (and not be shipped with already existing mini-scratches).
I'm going to have to agree with you here. The panel with a cutout for a window looks very old school. I would probably just end up going with the vented panel which is a shame since the full window is absolutely stunning especially if youre smart with your cable management.

Mallot

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2017
This is the mounting mechanism I wanted to do for my current case, but I'm not very happy with the PSU cooling on my current case (which makes fan spin too loudly... Otherwise the rest of the fans in the system are around 850RPM. I like it quiet, but the PSU ruins it, very frustrating).

Edit: Actally, this wouldn't work, because of the radiator shroud and possibly the radiator itself. If the side panel parts are neatly merged into the tempered glass it'd maybe look ok (the side panel gets thicker as it gets closer to the glass).

Reactions: HaveBlue

Matsu

Efficiency Noob
Apr 15, 2018
@All: Wahaha360 found a supplier that can do 2mm black tempered glass. I will test it with these designs:

Yeah, awsome news , big thumps up !
And i really like these designs :thumb::cool:

I guess and hope this design will allow you to use the computer on the rightside on the desk aswell, otherwise i cant buy this case :\

Any ideas when will see real pictures of a prototype, in a month ? Just cant wait, almost like waiting for santa on christmas :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Arboreal

Mallot

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2017
@omega24: With a card in the 2 slot riser 15mm and with a card in the 2.5 slot riser
@Mallot: Yes you are right it will collide with the middel plate.

@All: Wahaha360 found a supplier that can do 2mm black tempered glass. I will test it with these designs:

Neat!

What kind of price are we looking at for that?

Reactions: Drue

HaveBlue

Cable Smoosher
Feb 25, 2018
I would pay an exorbitant amount of money in order to buy this case

Like, special edition $300+ pricing is not an issue. I like it that much.

Reactions: Metroversal

Matsu

Efficiency Noob
Apr 15, 2018
Sounds like a fair price for the case :thumb: above 200€ is to much, in my opinion. Hope the window kit will be within 30-40€, otherwise the price for the case with the window will be pretty high. o_O

Mallot

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2017
Indeed, maybe I will order 2 window kits.. one to make it a vented version. :p
Don't think you can cut tempered glass, as it's sort of a prince ruperts drop. It'll shatter if you manage to disturb it's stresses.

Fledder

Caliper Novice
Oct 21, 2017
Don't think you can cut tempered glass, as it's sort of a prince ruperts drop. It'll shatter if you manage to disturb it's stresses.

You are right.. what was I thinking..
It would be lovely to have vented tempered glass :)

Lollipop

Efficiency Noob
Apr 21, 2018
@dondan Nice work. I wish I am not that late to join your journey on the new case. I am very happy to see that you get everyone involved in developent (in fact, I have not see that much in any other developer :p)

In addition, I do have a quick qustion. How much space will we have between the GPU and the side windows? Because I see an opportunity to add a littlencase fan to attach it on the window when you are using AIO for the GPU. If there is enough space, I would DIY the temp grass and make the fan hole design with it(in my country, i can order new 4mm temp grass)

Cheers

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
Every Asetek 120 AIO with a thickness of 27mm should be 150.5 mm long. I have here a Thermaltake Water 3.0 120 AIO for CPU and a Artic 120 AIO for GPU and both are 150.5mm long.

Sorry to practice necromancy on an old topic but... I compiled the length of 120 radiators under 30mm thick available on newegg plus some notable extras. I also found the length of two hybrid GPU radiators (manufacturers don't usually list this dimension). Here is their compatibility to the C4 SFX.

Legend: Total length over 303 = red, between 303 and 302 = yellow, under 302 = green

It will be great if @dondan can test the H55 and the old H60 since they are so popular.

Also, it seems like the industry is moving to longer radiators for some reason because most of the newer coolers, such as the H60 2018, CLC120, and MasterLiquid 120, are way too long. Maybe an extra cm for futureproofing's sake?

The NZXT M22 is a notable exception but availability outside of the US don't seem to be too good.

For myself, none of the compatible (older) coolers is in stock in Taiwan, not even the H60, so I would love to have an extra centimetre to make things easy. What do you guys think? Maybe one of you can send me a M22 :cool:.

Reactions: Drue

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Here is an interesting documentation how to easy install an Asetek AIO on a GTX Founders Edition card without disassembly the complete card.
Keep in mind you need a special Asetek GPU AIO for this! The tubes are straight out and you need a NVIDIA, AMD retention plate.

The following sets are suitable and have all the necessary parts included:
  • Arctic Accelero Hybrid II
  • Arctic Accelero Hybrid III
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 Hybrid
  • Asetek 740GN
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/gtx-1080-fe-gtx-980ti-hybrid-radiator-oc-temp-results.2479044/

(Credits to "Annisman*" from AnandTech)

Last edited:

Shasmeina

Efficiency Noob
New User
Apr 23, 2018
Dan, i have watched your cases from the first postings. I held off on a Ncase because it didn’t have a good dual AIO support. The hope for me is to use a EVGA hybrid gpu and a Corsair 120mm cpu cooler. I wish a H80 would fit, but I think a H75 should. I will need heavy cpu cooling because I’ll be using An ASRock X299E-ITX/AC board in it. What kind of thermals do you anticipate for HEDT systems?

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I have had an unexpected setback to my C4-SFX ambitions.
My main gaming rig died last week, the Maximus VI Impact motherboard went pop with a burnt VRM and damage on the power board.
Fortunately, the i5 4570K, RAM and GTX 970 are still working, but I need a new s1150 motherboard and PSU. I have decided not to trust the existing PSU, (Silverstone 450W SFX Bronze, bought used), again even though my multimeter shows it is putting out OK voltages off load.
So, it would be sensible to look at PSU options that would be good for a C4-SFX as well as my current set up.
I was thinking about the Corsair SF450, but it's unavailable here for a month, and the SF600 would give me a bit more room on the power overhead for future expansion.
The other option is the Silverstone SX500-LG v2 SFX-L PSU that would run cooler. Is the extra size going to make building it into a C4-SFX much more challenging?
Any thought on the merits of the 2 PSUs technically rather than size? Any other good options available in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.