DAN B4-SFX

D90

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2017
Hey Dan where will the 2.5” drives mount? Would there have to be concessions on the water cooling setup to fit them?

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
There are two spot:

Mojo_Jojo

Cable Smoosher
Apr 9, 2021
I would have liked the smaller version but maybe in the future you will bring this design to a smaller case with support for an ITX GPU only :)
Regarding the current design of the B4 I would also, as others have said, like to have the option for aluminum sidepanels. To me the mix between the (silver) aluminum front with bigger venting holes and the (black) sidepanels with smaller venting holes looks to busy designwise. The otherwise premium and understated look kind of gets disrupted this way. I'm looking forward to see more of this case!

Grüße aus DE

Last edited:

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Today I played a round with the old A4-H2O sample. I put it in a vertical position. I think I looks very nice. I think about using this for the B4-SFX but with the current B4 internals. Furthermore I think to change the dimension to 325x131x240 10.2l to make it more different than the meshlicious. It would fit 3Slot GPU and 240 AIO will full height fans:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Today I played a round with the old A4-H2O sample. I put it in a vertical position. I think I looks very nice. I think about using this for the B4-SFX but with the current B4 internals. Furthermore I think to change the dimension to 325x131x240 10.2l to make it more different than the meshlicious. It would fit 3Slot GPU and 240 AIO will full height fans:

That looks gorgeous! Weird how the rounded design works better vertical than horizontal. I like how it contrasts with the squared off legs too. What would the GPU cable clearance be in this orientation?

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
The GPU clearance depends:

This case would support two different internal sizes: up to 320mm or up to 305mm.

• For the 305mm position you will have 15mm internal + 15mm feet area =30mm display cable clearance. Also bigger angles adapters will fit AMAZON
  • For the 320mm position you will have 0mm internal + 15mm feet area =15mm display cable clearance. This would require a low profile angled adapter like this: AMAZON

BUT: I would include extra Standoffs (longer version of grey round standoff in the picture) maybe 4*30mm or 4*40mm. These could be use if you have forgotten to buy yourself the correct angled adapter.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
The GPU clearance depends:

This case would support two different internal sizes: up to 320mm or up to 305mm.

• For the 305mm position you will have 15mm internal + 15mm feet area =30mm display cable clearance. Also bigger angles adapters will fit AMAZON
  • For the 320mm position you will have 0mm internal + 15mm feet area =15mm display cable clearance. This would require a low profile angled adapter like this: AMAZON

BUT: I would include extra Standoffs (longer version of grey round standoff in the picture) maybe 4*30mm or 4*40mm. These could be use if you have forgotten to buy yourself the correct angled adapter.
Let's hope they start releasing DP 1.4 adapters that small soon :)

Reactions: DrHudacris

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
It looks nice and interesting, but I also liked the older design and preferred the 280mm support.

That said, the Meshlicious already feels pretty nice so I'm happy for now anyway, but I'll follow this regardless.

Reactions: Valantar

D90

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2017
I see your issue. You need to differentiate from Meshilicious so smaller accomplishes that. I do agree that 280 support with a chance for a water cooled cpu and gpu would still be better. The way these chips keep demanding more power and cooling at some point 240 support simply may not be enough… If I am spending $200+ on a case I would prefer and extra 2l as a hedge against that issue so that I could use it for years to come. Also that very reason is why you are considering wider side panels or a wider A4. To accommodate for the growing stock of power hungry components.

Questors

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 28, 2018
The big question is should i made it with 280 AIO support in 12.2L or just 240 AIO support in 10.5L.

How would the footprint and overall compatibility change if going for 240?
^ THIS^

Trust me. I am not afraid of bigger being a CaseLabs (RIP/praying for resurrection) fan. However, as I have learned with SFF, that is the BIG question. It seems there is a sweet spot for most SFF builders. Then there are those who want just a tad larger and those who believe small can't get small enough.

It's going to be the customer you are trying to target that will decide. Time for a poll?

Reactions: REVOCCASES

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
240mm will be enough, especially if it involves a size reduction of 2L. It will also differentiate more from the SSUPD case.
If we can believe OT's review, even the C4 doesn't get all that much cooler with the 280mm rad compared to the 240mm so it doesn't worth the size increase. Getting the same performance but while being smaller is also should be considered an advantage.

Reactions: DrowsyDroid

DrowsyDroid

Efficiency Noob
Jul 18, 2020

10.2L would be perfect. I just did a build in the SSUPD meshlicious but with the B4 being 10.2L in vertical orientation I'll be upgrading :)
I assume FE flow-through cards will still be viable at this size?

DrowsyDroid

Efficiency Noob
Jul 18, 2020

Just an opinion here, I think the B4 renders you have at the start of the thread look better than the A4 AIO rotated.

ellroy80

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2020
G'day @dondan, I really like the look of this and the A4-H20. What you are planning for the B4-SFX is effectively a vertical version of the A4-H20, which I think is great! Both have similar dimensions to the FormD T1 V1.5. Just wondering what differentiates your cases from the T1? I know that yours are very slightly larger, which I don't see as an issue because it allows the use of 25mm fans on the rad (vs 15mm for the T1, at least on one side of a 240mm rad, with 25mm support on the other side). Also, will you also be partnering with Lian Li for the B4 and selling it through the same sales channels as the A4-H20?

DrowsyDroid

Efficiency Noob
Jul 18, 2020
1) Apologies if this was answered in an earlier thread. Will there be a white option?

2) I've noticed people are adding a 92mm slim fan on the top of their SSUPD Mesh to help with temp exhaust. I could see a big win here if the case supported that.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Registered new account as I can't find my old one to reset, oops.

I'm currently setting up my A4-SFXv1 (#574) in a vertical orientation but the B4-SFX looks great too.

My preference is to keep the re-routed AC input, and keep all the I/O close together (rather than motherboard top, GPU bottom). So that's my aim, of course the A4 won't have the water-cooling compatibility B4 and A4-H2O will, but I'll post once completed for comparison :)

Reactions: Revenant

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017

Dan,

I took a little bit to let this sink in. This is an art piece. A soft but rectangular design accentuated by the circular feet and rectangular blocks. It's very good, and also very different from the meshalicious. I wouldn't just buy it, I would display it.

If you're going to use this design though. I have some thoughts.

EDIT: I assumed that you would be using the A4-H20 internals when I wrote this. Please assume that all of my comments revolve around taking an A4-SFX H20, and standing it vertically.

1. The exhaust radiator (formerly the top) should now face the back and away from the user. It would pull cold air through the front and sides, and exhaust the heat away.

1a. The front (formerly the bottom) of the case should look like the picture above.

2. The front of the case should have room for two 120x25 intake fans.

3. Personal take, the feet should be a little bit taller, or come in a couple sizes as this is as much a show piece as SFF, and the legs should be black brushed aluminum.

4. There should be no IO, power buttons, or lights at all on the top, front, sides, or bottom of the case. The power switch should be in the back, and maybe some USB ports.

4a: If you do put a power button the front, I suggest you place at the very center of the bottom of the chassis, and make it a curved rectangle in the same dimensional proportions as the case itself. I would suggest mounting it horizontally to draw into the feet.

4b. The a circular button in the dead center of the bottom front would also look great.

5. The feet at the bottom (formerly rear) should round the corners just a bit more to match the rounded edges of the case.

6. Ensure we can fit 2.5 slot GPUs. Ampere is thick.... ;)

7. Since you now have a back to front airflow path, you could offer optional glass panels. Perhaps the panels would benefit from a slightly black border.

This is a really good looking case, and I'm all in if you produce it.

Also, I don't mean to come off harsh. I love this design, and admire your work.

Last edited: