DAN B4-SFX

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Just an FIY, as I'm much more likely to get the Meshlicious than this anyhow, but 35mm is not a lot at all for standard cables. Most DP cables stick out 40mm or more from the connector, with another 10-15mm for the cable to bend to the side. There are smaller/shorter variants, but those are quite rare. HDMI is more easily found in form factors where the connector housing + cable bend would fit within 35mm, but many of those will also run afoul of that limitation. Most video cables are quite chunky.

35mm is just the stand off + 5mm base + 15mm internal space = 55mm total

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Included angled Display adapter question:

I think it is a problem to include these angled adapters because there are so many configurations for display.

- HDMI, DisplayPort, mini HDMI, mini DisplayPort, USB-C s.o.
- Some customer needs one cable some other two or three and other a combination from the different standards
- Angled adapters are easy to buy and available nearly everywhere
- The case came with different stand offs (default 10mm). With the default the distance between desk surface and gpu io shield is 30mm. I think to include a 35mm stand off so if you forgett to buy angled adapter you can install it and youse your default cable.
35mm is just the stand off + 5mm base + 15mm internal space = 55mm total

So, just so I understand, if one looked at the measurements for the Meshlicious, this would be equal to or more space for plugs/cables than the high GPU position there? (43mm from GPU port to desk)

In that case it should be fine.

MrFizzyBubbs

Chassis Packer
May 30, 2019
This is a phenomenal looking case, although I would like to see a variant entirely in the gray color of the front and back panels. I am probably in the minority here in that I prefer air cooling so I would vote 240 AIO for the reduced size when traveling but ultimately I doesn't really matter to me.

Redux-Limited

Caliper Novice
Sep 1, 2019
Dan please stop, I'm going to go bankrupt if you continue to release cases.

On a serious note, now I don't know which route to go. Naja, gibt es schlimmeres.

Nichronos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 22, 2018
@dondan I personally don't like at all this case, you should've stick to modding the DAN-A4 in vertical position not copying the Meshlicious...
Your lack in fate about your own designs is disturbing! I'm 110% sure you can do better than that.

• Sad
Reactions: thelaughingman

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
@dondan I personally don't like at all this case, you should've stick to modding the DAN-A4 in vertical position not copying the Meshlicious...
Your lack in fate about your own designs is disturbing! I'm 110% sure you can do better than that.

It's not copying anything - folding a riser cable isn't new.

They're both produced by Lian Li, and the B4 has several differences meant to shift the target market of this case vs the Meshlicious. (It's smaller, more focused on watercooling, and made with better materials in a different style.)

It's a similar layout but targeting a completely different segment of the market.

This is like saying the quarter pounder is copying the big Mac. It's produced by the same place for different people, and nobody owns the concept of a burger. 🙄 (Just like nobody owns the concept Classic/Sandwich ITX PC layouts or the concept of 60% keyboards.)

biopunk

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 24, 2020
That's ridiculous, are you even aware of how often A4 layout gets copied? Good ideas should be adopted and Meshlicious layout is one of them. The design is Dan's so I don't see a problem.

Reactions: BRSxIgnition

D90

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2017
Sure, okay, but if you post it for everyone to see, don't be surprised when others call you out on it. You are not immune to
@biopunk @BRSxIgnition Its my own opinion, you don't need to agree with my criticism!
@biopunk @BRSxIgnition Its my own opinion, you don't need to agree with my criticism!
These forums are for providing insight on design against balance for customer needs. Not for “hey it sucks” without any type of feedback on what could be done to improve the case. You don’t speak for the rest of us so encouraging Dan to quit working on this case to improve the A4 is not valuable input.

Meshlicious wasn’t not the first vertical design case.

Pretty much all sandwich case designs copied the A4. All vertical case makers most likely stood the A4 up on its face to get inspiration for their design. So I guess in this case Dan is guilty of copying himself…

D90

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2017
Hey Dan since we are discussing these lovely new case designs is there any mock ups or rough estimate on when a 5l case could be in our future? I love my Skyreach but would be eager to see what your mind comes with.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Just an idea, but have you thought of adjusting the venting pattern on the front to emphasize the vertical nature of the case and perhaps increase airflow through to the rad?

Something like the following - I apologize in advance for my photoshop skills, or lack thereof:

Alternatively - something like this could work:

The RAW S1 does this in a far more limited fashion, and I wonder if it could be improved on and softened with more venting area and rounded slits.

Last edited:
Reactions: paqji and D90

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Just an idea, but have you thought of adjusting the venting pattern on the front to emphasize the vertical nature of the case and perhaps increase airflow through to the rad?

Something like the following - I apologize in advance for my photoshop skills, or lack thereof:

Alternatively - something like this could work:

The RAW S1 does this in a far more limited fashion, and I wonder if it could be improved on and softened with more venting area and rounded slits.

The first version will limit cooling perf. a lot. Thr second one will work but for me does look too much industrial and the stripes will be very fragile on 1.5mm aluminum.

Reactions: Valantar

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
The first version will limit cooling perf. a lot. Thr second one will work but for me does look too much industrial and the stripes will be very fragile on 1.5mm aluminum.

Hmm, maybe some middle ground between the second option and something that will work well with the aluminum would be cool?

Either way, whatever ends up working for the project honestly; I'm just of the mindset that plain circular perforations work better on regular horizontal cases than on the front of a vertical case.

Reactions: D90