DAN B4-SFX

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
The issue with these extensions is that they do not support the latest HDMI and DP versions. HDMI is limited to 2.0b and some users have reported getting only up to 1.2 speed on the DP cables. IIRC, the Velka 7 had a lot of issues with this. For a retail case, this can't be accepted imo.
In terms of future-proofing I agree (and today-proofing in terms of HDMI 2.1), but at least DP 1.4 isn't a thing (yet), and IMO it's better to be able to connect your display without tilting your case over, even if you have to run at slightly reduced bit depth or refresh rate (can't DP 1.2 still do 2160p144, at least with DSC?). I would also be surprised if ADT-link didn't have HDMI 2.1 and DP 1.4 compliant cables in the works by now, at least for shorter runs like what is needed here.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
In terms of future-proofing I agree (and today-proofing in terms of HDMI 2.1), but at least DP 1.4 isn't a thing (yet), and IMO it's better to be able to connect your display without tilting your case over, even if you have to run at slightly reduced bit depth or refresh rate (can't DP 1.2 still do 2160p144, at least with DSC?). I would also be surprised if ADT-link didn't have HDMI 2.1 and DP 1.4 compliant cables in the works by now, at least for shorter runs like what is needed here.
I think you confused dp 1.4 and dp 2.0 which is yet to come. Dp 1.4 is quite common and required for dsc, and a lot of monitors require it (g7, g9, all single cable 4k144hz etc).

Reactions: Valantar

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
The issue with these extensions is that they do not support the latest HDMI and DP versions. HDMI is limited to 2.0b and some users have reported getting only up to 1.2 speed on the DP cables. IIRC, the Velka 7 had a lot of issues with this. For a retail case, this can't be accepted imo.

According to ADT that's a bandwidth / shielding problem with the cables currently used on those adapters but IMO can be solved and manufacturers like ADT will certainly come up with a solution sooner or later. As mentioned in the first post, the case would come with a PCIe Gen 4.0 riser so I guess it should be also possible to get some fully compatible extension adapter until the case is released, which might still take a while (2022 would be my estimate). Besides, if you have to buy your own adapter you'll have the same problem to find something that 100% works with those latest standards. Dan is probably in a better position to source something suitable.

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I think you confused dp 1.4 and dp 2.0 which is yet to come. Dp 1.4 is quite common and required for dsc, and a lot of monitors require it (g7, g9, all single cable 4k144hz etc).
Ah, damn, you're right about that, I was indeed thinking of 2.0. Makes me wonder if 1.4 doesn't accept more than 2 connectors in the signal path or something, given that it's not exactly new. Even if not that many monitors up until now require it, would it be that difficult for ADT-link to make cables capable of carrying those signals? Seems weird unless there is some technical reason.

Reactions: riba2233

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
would it be that difficult for ADT-link to make cables capable of carrying those signals? Seems weird unless there is some technical reason.

It's basically the same reason why we are seeing those issues with PCIe Gen 3/4 riser cables. But I'm pretty sure the manufacturers will come up with a solution. Seeing more and more cases with this vertical layout, the demand for those adapters is clearly there.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Not sure if this is worth looking at, but if the case were flipped so the motherboard was at the bottom, and the PSU at the top, then this could allow for an airflow gap/channel for blow through graphics cards, like the founders edition RTX 30 series cards (amongst others). The graphics card would obviously still need to have it's outputs at the bottom, so it's not just a matter of flipping the case.

One of Optimum Tech's recent videos highlighted the issue with using those type of cards in sandwich layout cases.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
It is not possible to have the gpu output at the bottom if the motherboard is on bottom. It does not work with the riser bending.

Also on the current layout you will have 20mm between back of the motherboard and GPU RTX 3090 FE back. Enough space for a airstream from the radiator fans. If you have a RTX 3080 FE you can increase the gap to 40mm.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
It is not possible to have the gpu output at the bottom if the motherboard is on bottom. It does not work with the riser bending.
You can double bend it to work but that's really not ideal...

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I agree with the 280mm concensus, also because I feel like there are enough cases in this form factor that support 240's.

I think it's good to have a premium alternative to the Meshlicious which I will probably receive in the next week, but I would worry about the ability to compete with that case as it is already available at mainstream retailers for an extremely affordable price.

definelicht

Caliper Novice
Sep 24, 2020
The big question is should i made it with 280 AIO support in 12.2L or just 240 AIO support in 10.5L.
Going against the stream here, but I would vote for 240mm. Around this volume is the breaking point for when it's realistic to travel with such a case, and 10.5L is slightly more realistic to pack than 12.2.
For people who don't travel with their machine I can see why 280mm would be preferable. That being said, custom loops are still far from the majority use case, and 240mm is plenty for cooling just an AiO, so in that case the 280mm doesn't buy you much.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
The big question is should i made it with 280 AIO support in 12.2L or just 240 AIO support in 10.5L.
I see the value and interest for 280mm support, but with this concept being somewhat late to the vertical case scene, it could really set itself apart from the competition by being the only one in the 10 liter club while still offering a full sized rad. I think both options have their merits, but the idea of being smaller than the competition, and moving forward with 240mm support is more interesting to me personally... BUT only if it's compatible with ALL 240mm rads, and not just a select few.

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Damn - the Meshlicious may serve as the stopgap but assuming the B4 keeps 280mm support, I think that will be my PC's home in the end.

Regarding rad support - I've said this in the reddit thread now but I'll re-iterate here:

280mm all the way. At 12.2L it'd still be smaller than the Meshlicious and made with better materials, and the width/length that supporting a 280mm rad adds to the case will help it support larger GPUs than if you shrank it and went with just a 240mm.

Plus, a 280 in this style case is shown to work better than dual 240s in more classic designs like the M1.

More SFF cases should support single 280mm rads, IMO.

Regardless, impressive work as always, Dan!

Last edited:

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
On a more serious note:
I would much prefer an aluminum plate side panel. Mesh has been done to death.

Can you add an exhaust fan at the top? A 140mm top fan would be nice.

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
On a more serious note:
I would much prefer an aluminum plate side panel. Mesh has been done to death.

Can you add an exhaust fan at the top? A 140mm top fan would be nice.

I think mesh as a default with optional aluminum or TG side panels as add-ons would be best, but I guess it depends on what everyone sle wants how it causes internals to perform.

I will say though that unless the top is unblocked a bit more, a 140mm fan there wouldn't work too well. (though it could help thermals if it was.)

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Here is a CAD drawing how the case will look like with Lian Li default vent pattern on the side panel (like A4-SFX or C4-SFX)

Included angled Display adapter question:

I think it is a problem to include these angled adapters because there are so many configurations for display.

- HDMI, DisplayPort, mini HDMI, mini DisplayPort, USB-C s.o.
- Some customer needs one cable some other two or three and other a combination from the different standards
- Angled adapters are easy to buy and available nearly everywhere
- The case came with different stand offs (default 10mm). With the default the distance between desk surface and gpu io shield is 30mm. I think to include a 35mm stand off so if you forgett to buy angled adapter you can install it and youse your default cable.

Last edited:

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Here is a CAD drawing how the case will look like with Lian Li default vent pattern on the side panel (like A4-SFX or C4-SFX)

I think it is a problem to include these angled adapters because there are so many configurations for display.

- Some customer needs one cable some other two or three and other a combination from the different standards
- The case came with different stand offs (default 10mm). With the default the distance between desk surface and gpu io shield is 30mm. I think to include a 35mm stand off so if you forgett to buy angled adapter you can install it and youse your default cable.

That drawing shows it better. I like the standard style. I was afraid it was the micro-mesh from some of the newer designs.

Is 0.8mm the standard for Lian Li or can they do a thicker panel?

Upon looking at when it’s not 3AM and I’m not tired, I can see the top exhaust I was thinking off is probably pointless since the case is so open.

Last edited:

biopunk

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 24, 2020

I prefer mesh aesthetically, fine mesh looks great on my T1.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

Just an FIY, as I'm much more likely to get the Meshlicious than this anyhow, but 35mm is not a lot at all for standard cables. Most DP cables stick out 40mm or more from the connector, with another 10-15mm for the cable to bend to the side. There are smaller/shorter variants, but those are quite rare. HDMI is more easily found in form factors where the connector housing + cable bend would fit within 35mm, but many of those will also run afoul of that limitation. Most video cables are quite chunky.

Reactions: BRSxIgnition

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
I prefer mesh aesthetically, fine mesh looks great on my T1.
I’m both in favor of mesh aesthetically and functionally. I love my T1’s fine mesh panels, as they are not only uniformly pleasing to the eye, but also act as dust filters without choking the airflow. The traditional Lian Li cutouts are nice, but mesh is taking over for a very good reason.