Cutting Skyreach 4 Mini to fit the Scythe BS2 Rev.B - 58mm?

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Am I able to cut the case to fit a Scythe BS2 Rev.B - Im expecting the fan to stick out as that is 12mm thick - but the heatsink should theoretically be at the edge of the case's enclosure or probably wont close assuming its heatsink is 46mm. (stock cooler and fan - 58mm)

Since im currently using a 8700. As nice as the Cryorig C7 and the Noctua 92mm x 14mm thick fan does well (does worse in pull vs standard push) it ranges near 80c+ with spikes tappin at mid 90cs.

I was thinking since the Scythe BS2 Rev.B can get better temps - i'd be willing to mod the case to fit the cooler.

If the heatsink is perfect - fit with the case closed or very close to it - it should be easier to gauge the cut position smoothly.

Thoughts on the idea? Is barely sufficient to cool with a cryrorig c7 as I do use RPCS3 a lot. So naturally the load is extremely high than gaming usually. Apparently person delidded their 8700 -
While thats with a basic 2xfan AIO temp -
interestingly thing was when I asked about stock temps as a reference the guy said "With an Intel heat sink, the processor had a maximum of 75 degrees after the processor."

I might give delidding a shot since I already... delidded it but after I return from overseas so I can aqquire the Liquid Electrical Tape https://www.jaycar.com.au/liquid-electrical-tape-thread-locker-black/p/NM2832 to place on top the circuit of the CPU.

Last edited:
Reactions: br3nd0

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Got impatient and uh.. this is the temp now with a 8700 non k on a cryorig c7 + noctua l9i's fan temp - previously spikes to mid 90c - now spikes to mid 70c wow.. amazed.

teisysadmin

Caliper Novice
Oct 15, 2018
I don't think it's a bad idea, I would be cautious about how you do it exactly though. I would probably use the l9i and a screwdriver to mark out where the edges of the l9i would fall on the side panel in sharpie to start. I would then draw another sharpie outline 10 - 15 mm further out around the original outline, which will become your cutout. Ideally you'd have access to a mill, which would cut the cleanest / straightest lines. Buff / file the hell out of your cutout at the very least. I think, if you're going to do this, you should also cut / mill out a plate to go around the cutout for aesthetic / stability reasons. Maybe consider PMing Josh to see if you can buy an extra side panel in case you don't like the result.

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
I don't think it's a bad idea, I would be cautious about how you do it exactly though. I would probably use the l9i and a screwdriver to mark out where the edges of the l9i would fall on the side panel in sharpie to start. I would then draw another sharpie outline 10 - 15 mm further out around the original outline, which will become your cutout. Ideally you'd have access to a mill, which would cut the cleanest / straightest lines. Buff / file the hell out of your cutout at the very least. I think, if you're going to do this, you should also cut / mill out a plate to go around the cutout for aesthetic / stability reasons. Maybe consider PMing Josh to see if you can buy an extra side panel in case you don't like the result.

Since I delidded my 8700 - absolute mad lad I am - it runs so much cooler when its being pushed - mid 90c vs 78c max emulating RPCS3 The Last of Us something i'd say is pretty demanding on the system for sure.
That made the noctua fan ran cooler on the cryorig c7 too interestingly. Im actually happy as it is delidded and I can keep the beautiful skyslots too in the process.

teisysadmin

Caliper Novice
Oct 15, 2018
Since I delidded my 8700 - absolute mad lad I am - it runs so much cooler when its being pushed - mid 90c vs 78c max emulating RPCS3 The Last of Us something i'd say is pretty demanding on the system for sure.
That made the noctua fan ran cooler on the cryorig c7 too interestingly. Im actually happy as it is delidded and I can keep the beautiful skyslots too in the process.

I also delidded my 8700k. It's better in day to day usage, but prime 95 small fft still pushes the temps to the point of thermal throttling.

As much as I like the stock look and feel of the mini, I think a cutout, if done right, could look pretty sweet too. Maybe I'll try and get a spare side panel and throw it on the mill.

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
thin
I also delidded my 8700k. It's better in day to day usage, but prime 95 small fft still pushes the temps to the point of thermal throttling.

As much as I like the stock look and feel of the mini, I think a cutout, if done right, could look pretty sweet too. Maybe I'll try and get a spare side panel and throw it on the mill.

thing is with the scythe bs2 rev b it is offcentered a bit - since the heatsink is 46mm - (58mm with the stock 12mm thick fan) should be easy to gauge an accurate cutout for the case while it sits underneath the case's cover & mark the cuts with an extra mm or 2.

Wait, you can you order a side panel from josh? - i did not know that could be done - could it be done? Interesting.

Last edited:

Mahadi

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Oct 19, 2018
Hey, new to the forum. Im really interested to see your your r with the mod, since im planning to get a S4M with a 8700k myself. However, I do wonder why you chose that particular cooler and not some other cooler? Was it the best performing coolers based on reviews you found?

teisysadmin

Caliper Novice
Oct 15, 2018
thin

thing is with the scythe bs2 rev b it is offcentered a bit - since the heatsink is 46mm - (58mm with the stock 12mm thick fan) should be easy to gauge an accurate cutout for the case while it sits underneath the case's cover & mark the cuts with an extra mm or 2.

Wait, you can you order a side panel from josh? - i did not know that could be done - could it be done? Interesting.

I don't know if you can, but it's worth an ask before cutting up your $200 case, right?

Reactions: HYPERTiZ

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Hey, new to the forum. Im really interested to see your your r with the mod, since im planning to get a S4M with a 8700k myself. However, I do wonder why you chose that particular cooler and not some other cooler? Was it the best performing coolers based on reviews you found?

Mahadi, I do have an 8700 and at stock pre-delid it ran RPCS3 the Last of Us at high loads and 4.0GHz range - it would reach mid 90c - After delidding as you can see above it help go to 79c.

In regards to the cooler setup - without a delid you will struggle at hot temps and really high loads - no question though.

The 8700 is effectively an non K in terms of stock turbo limit - I think you may need to delid if you are expecting to cool it at near max high loads with a low profile cooler like that. I think the 8700k while simular may be unpredictable. However I am wiling to get an 8700k to test it stock and delid it.

In my opinion the Cryorig C7 with a Noctua L9i fan (NH A9-14 PWM?) JUST fits perfectly at 45mm - which is the case's limit.
(C7's stock fan = 46mm and the fan's upward fins make it impossible to shut the case nor safely use it - in fear it may most likely break the fan).

The C7 cools better because it has a better heatsink than the L9i. So unless its an 8400 in that example the L9i would be sufficient for it. For the 8700k assuming more than gaming loads it would be insufficient at stock TiM - in my opinion. Again unless you have more than 45mm get a mid sized cooler to be sufficient at stock imo.

I don't know if you can, but it's worth an ask before cutting up your $200 case, right?
Josh emailed me that they were sadly sold out of extra panels a shame but I also enquired if there was any possibility of restocking in the future- which sadly isnt going to be possible in the near future - which isnt a deal breaker and wont stop me from trying it haha!

im not sure how my 8700 would go with prime apparently its unrealistically high and should be avoided.
But i'd like to see how the delid goes.

Last edited:

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
For people looking to solve this issue with money rather than modding and hard work, the 9th gen CPUs from intel have soldered IHS (integrates heat spreader). The i7 9700k, when available, will provide better single threaded performance and equivalent multithreaded performance as an i7 8700k. The soldered IHS will provide better temps at the same power draw than stock variations of previous generation chips.

Solution:
Buy a 9700k and plod it into your Z370 board and you’ll have better temps.

teisysadmin

Caliper Novice
Oct 15, 2018
For people looking to solve this issue with money rather than modding and hard work, the 9th gen CPUs from intel have soldered IHS (integrates heat spreader). The i7 9700k, when available, will provide better single threaded performance and equivalent multithreaded performance as an i7 8700k. The soldered IHS will provide better temps at the same power draw than stock variations of previous generation chips.

Solution:

Have the benchmarks come out showing that the 9700k will run cooler at the same power draw than the 8700k? Der8auer did a video on the i9 9900k (which is 8 cores + HT, instead of just 8 cores / no HT for the 9700k), and he found that even though the IHS was soldered to the die, intel added significantly more silicon to the die, so temperatures on the 9900k are out of control. He ended up lapping .20 mm off of the actual die itself to get the temps under control. In his testing, a reapplication of liquid metal also seemed to perform better than the solder that intel used, because they used more solder than they really needed. Considering how similar the chips are, this has me worried that the 9700k might actually be even worse for small form factor builds than the 8700k is...

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
Have the benchmarks come out showing that the 9700k will run cooler at the same power draw than the 8700k? Der8auer did a video on the i9 9900k (which is 8 cores + HT, instead of just 8 cores / no HT for the 9700k), and he found that even though the IHS was soldered to the die, intel added significantly more silicon to the die, so temperatures on the 9900k are out of control. He ended up lapping .20 mm off of the actual die itself to get the temps under control. In his testing, a reapplication of liquid metal also seemed to perform better than the solder that intel used, because they used more solder than they really needed. Considering how similar the chips are, this has me worried that the 9700k might actually be even worse for small form factor builds than the 8700k is...
I watched the video you were referring to and that's a bit disappointing :( Maybe I had not done enough research on the topic before posting. And if so I apologize. I was referencing the gamers nexus review of the i9-9900k.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwrevie...paste-delid-gaming-benchmarks-vs-2700x/page-2

These were the two charts they included in their review and how I interpreted this is that with all 8 cores enabled and significantly higher power draw the non-delided 9900k ran almost 10 degrees cooler than the i7 8086k at 5GHz. Additionally, the CPU ran cooler ~5C with the default soldered IHS over deliding the CPU and replacing the IHS with normal thermal paste (non liquid metal). After disabling 2 cores and running 6 cores and 12 threads at 5GHz with the soldered IHS and around the same power draw the 9900k ran ~14C cooler than the 8086k.

Since the 9700k is similar to the 9900k but with hyperthreading disabled, I'm assuming the CPU will require less power than the 9900k and run cooler.

teisysadmin

Caliper Novice
Oct 15, 2018
I watched the video you were referring to and that's a bit disappointing :( Maybe I had not done enough research on the topic before posting. And if so I apologize. I was referencing the gamers nexus review of the i9-9900k.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwrevie...paste-delid-gaming-benchmarks-vs-2700x/page-2

These were the two charts they included in their review and how I interpreted this is that with all 8 cores enabled and significantly higher power draw the non-delided 9900k ran almost 10 degrees cooler than the i7 8086k at 5GHz. Additionally, the CPU ran cooler ~5C with the default soldered IHS over deliding the CPU and replacing the IHS with normal thermal paste (non liquid metal). After disabling 2 cores and running 6 cores and 12 threads at 5GHz with the soldered IHS and around the same power draw the 9900k ran ~14C cooler than the 8086k.

Since the 9700k is similar to the 9900k but with hyperthreading disabled, I'm assuming the CPU will require less power than the 9900k and run cooler.

Those charts are interesting. Those numbers look better than the numbers that Der8auer was getting, but I'm still a little bit wary about the fact that the numbers with paste under the IHS are even that close to the numbers with solder. I think it's still a little early to definitively say whether the soldered IHS really made a difference. I generally trust Der8auer's input on these sorts of things, so I'll need to wait for some more benchmarks...

Definitely wary of the performance of the 9700k as well. UserBenchmark has it 6% faster than the 8700k, versus a 13% improvement from the 7700k to the 8700k. This article tells a similar story https://www.techspot.com/review/1730-intel-core-i9-9900k-core-i7-9700k/

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
I wouldnd cut the case.
My 8700k was constantly hitting 99C on prime.
After various cpufan tests the LP53 with a noctua fan on it brought it down to 92.
Delidding brought it down to 85 now.

Orher than that, the cpus are perfectly fine running that hot. Tests showed no shorting of the lifespawn over some years with different cpu's
Overvolting is much worse in this regard but heat is negligible

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018

Solution:

However isnt it iirc a 8core no HT vs 6c HT12?
Is it better for RPCS3 - guess plus is also the warranty too actually.

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
i sa

I saw the vids and was genuinely shocked - even then delidding with liquid metal will always have the best temps. Its why I wanted to grab a 8700k to delid than a 990k that i'll never be able to mod to cool if it ran hotter than I liked

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
I wouldnd cut the case.
My 8700k was constantly hitting 99C on prime.
After various cpufan tests the LP53 with a noctua fan on it brought it down to 92.
Delidding brought it down to 85 now.

Orher than that, the cpus are perfectly fine running that hot. Tests showed no shorting of the lifespawn over some years with different cpu's
Overvolting is much worse in this regard but heat is negligible

When I swap my 8700 delidded to a 8700k and delid it - I watch the temps then if there is some room I could aim to do some light OC - or not even bother at all since its RPCS3 and over time they can decrease the headroom or improve coding efficiency to run more efficiently.

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Rpcs3? So you running a ps3 emulator exclusively on this cpu?
since its vulkan it also pushes GPU so it definetly pushes over 300w i'd say maybe downvolting RX570 should keep it in check nicely - maybe.

Probably wont OC - might be too minimal (maybe 4.5Ghz OC to be generous) anyway. It should do well even more so that its constantly getting fresh air directly. I believe it could work while delidded too and is worth the effort if the scythe bs2 revb can do a good OC.

Last edited:

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
This how I have my build running right now -
Direct Image of the L9i and Cryorig C7 with the delidded 8700 non-k.
Literally 45mm.

Cryorig C7+L9i Fan = Beautiful Tight Space

Will need to figure A) how to acquire dremel via local Bunnings then how to hold it in place if I already marked the back with an extra mm to spare. Also brought 2 sets of clips for the Cryorig C7 via TaoBao - I don't know just want it though - maybe say want to do more testing etc so it'll help when the case isn't there to hold the fan in place anymore with a 8700k delid.

Last edited: