NFC - Skyreach 4 Mini - i7 8700 - MSI 1070GTX Mini - 16GB DDR4

fatspec

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Aug 22, 2018
Hello guys,

Recently watching LTT and stumbled upon the NFC S4 Mini, it inspired me to get started on a new computer.

wwwwwwww==

Having not built a PC since my old Athlon 64 X2 build from 2005 I figured I'd build something again.

Case: NFS Skyreach 4 Mini
Processor: Intel i7 8700
Graphics: GTX 1070 Mini 8gb
Ram: 16gb DDR4 Ram
SSD: Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb raid 0
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z370-I
Power Supply : HD-Plex 400W with Alienware 330w external power brick
CPU Cooler: Cryorig C7-CU

Mods: delidded CPU, liquid metal on CPU die and copper IHS mod

fatspec

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Aug 22, 2018
I currently have my Noctua NH-L9i fan mounted on the Cryorig C7 CU with zip tipes but I'm looking at these sweet metal clips from Taobao.

Also here are some results from XTU stress test, I plan on running a Unigen Heaven benchmark when I get my new monitor.

Reactions: bubbl3 and br3nd0

threestripevida

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 28, 2017
How much clearance do you have with the C7 and the Noctua fan? Do you think that you could put a slim 120mm fan above the CPU and get even better temps?

Reactions: br3nd0

fatspec

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Aug 22, 2018
The fan sits flush with the cover on, just about as flush as the SSD mounts. I have a 120MM fan on the way I will post results soon!

For some reason when I restart my computer that core voltage offset for CPU is reset in XTU is there a way I can have it boot with the profile that I made in XTU?

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
This came up briefly in gury's discord chat not long ago. XTU is apparently not great for saving / booting with a specific profile. It is great for testing & tweaking then once stable/comfortable with your XTU settings, go and set your values from XTU in motherboard BIOS.

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
The fan sits flush with the cover on, just about as flush as the SSD mounts. I have a 120MM fan on the way I will post results soon!

For some reason when I restart my computer that core voltage offset for CPU is reset in XTU is there a way I can have it boot with the profile that I made in XTU?

interesting.

Last edited:

threestripevida

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 28, 2017

Let us know how it goes with the slim 120mm fan! I'm very interested in this .

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
I currently have my Noctua NH-L9i fan mounted on the Cryorig C7 CU with zip tipes but I'm looking at these sweet metal clips from Taobao.

Also here are some results from XTU stress test, I plan on running a Unigen Heaven benchmark when I get my new monitor.

i want more info, please PM me.

fatspec

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Aug 22, 2018
Hey @fatspec, any luck with your voltage settings from within BIOS?

I'm gonna be honest, I couldn't figure it out. So I just left it, the computer doesn't throttle at all after the delidding, also the C7 CU helps out a lot!

However now that I have found a 1080Ti Mini 11GB I seem to be hitting the Dell 330W power limit so my machine will shut down.

I have a spare FLEX ATX 450W power supply I sourced from a external GPU I was wondering if I can take that to supply DC power to the HDPLEX, I just need to find a way to step up the voltage of 12V to 19V

I put the power supply side by side with the dell power brick and found that the Flex ATX is smaller than the Dell Power brick, which made me think why not just swap it out with the FLEX ATX PSU?

Can any one give me some input?

Can I use something like this item linked below at the end of the 12V output on the atx flex psu to change the output to 19V for the HDPLEX 400W?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JLKFD7Q/?tag=theminutiae-20

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
However now that I have found a 1080Ti Mini 11GB I seem to be hitting the Dell 330W power limit so my machine will shut down.

you could try a 350W MeanWell + 200W Meanwell setup, but you'll have to modify your SkyReach case a whole lot.

also, do you have an extra CryOrig Cu, with Noctua fan attached ??

xcomp666

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 30, 2019
Hey! I love your project. I am looking for a CPU cooler solution to my skyreach 4 with I5 8600k project. Where did you buy this Metal clips ( C7 + NF-A9x14 ) ?
Than you!